Growing hair along a path

prometheus

REBORN
By path it sounds like you would use layout null created motion paths, which is something you normaly don´t do.

You can simply draw a spline in modeler with the spline draw tool, and send to layout and grow the fibers on that.
Normally most people would convert the spline to a polyline with the strand maker or other tools as well, so you can get a polysegment that could be used dynamicly, if you just use a spline you can´t animate it properly, but will work for fast spline hair.
You can also go to polygon/create make polychain..and there are other plugins, but generally using the strand maker, it creates the polylines in a separate layer and keeps the original curve in another.

If you create a spline with spline draw in modeler, save it, send to layout..you should use textured display, not wireframe cause it will show you a closed polygon, but you also need to go to appearance and add the show curve custom object to see the curve properly in layout.

Once in layout add fiber fx and activate it as well as making sure you have the eye icon checked for visibility.

To note, when you have fiber smoot to zero, it will follow the spline more accurately, but since it is an interpolated curve it will be stepped, and once smoothing increases it will of course be smooth, but not following the curve properly, thus it is generally better to have a curve converted to segmented polylines instead.

To make braids you can go to bundle and set twist or braid, there can be issues of it not scaling properly so it all depends on the size of the curve/polylines.
That is how to set braids in layout, but for exact control of braids, you may want to do the braids completely as an polyline object in modeler with various techniques, which I can´t go in to right now.

Unfortunately, this is more laborious than it should be.

If you mean something like this:

Haar_v002.gif

One way would be the old trick with a combination of morph and bones.
With a bone chain you create the desired path. Furthermore, you morph the polygon chain (that you use in FiberFX to create the fibers) from very short to normal length. The poly chain now grows along the bone chain.

Haar_v002_GL.gif

Note: For it to work, the Morph Mixer must be placed before Bones in the Modifier stack. In addition, the bones must be set to Full Bones (Morphed Positions).

Hair_grow_02.jpg

There might also be options with SG_Fertilizer (old plugin from a dead website but recently shared again in this forum) and DP Growth (https://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Verdure/DP_Growth_Manual.htm)

I thought of DP Grow right away, too.
Unfortunately, it seems not to be suitable for this task. I have always gotten some errors in FiberFX render. I think that is due to the way it displaces the points.

ciao
Thomas

prometheus

REBORN
Well yeah, depends on what inakito wanted, could be a just none animated typebut using a spline as guide, or it could be animated along a path as discussed in the latest post.
I could grow a pair of balls..along a path, with hair, but that may come across as obscene or off topic :D.

So easy to grow the hair in blender though, just go to render and timing and keyframe the ending parameter, if growing the hair as a main task fails with the described techniques above in Lightwave, and if you can get away by doing it elsewhere.
use children and kink and kink type braid, and animate the render timing Or/And the length of the children.

With hairnet addon in blender, you can use pretty much any modeled lightwave polyline curve/strandmaker made strands ..and convert to particle hair and let the hair animate along that curve, if you desire to make the curves in Lightwave that is, otherwise use whatever curve tool you want in blender of course.
Comp_2.gif

Last edited:

inakito

Unfortunately, this is more laborious than it should be.

If you mean something like this:

View attachment 151168
One way would be the old trick with a combination of morph and bones.
With a bone chain you create the desired path. Furthermore, you morph the polygon chain (that you use in FiberFX to create the fibers) from very short to normal length. The poly chain now grows along the bone chain.

View attachment 151169

Note: For it to work, the Morph Mixer must be placed before Bones in the Modifier stack. In addition, the bones must be set to Full Bones (Morphed Positions).

View attachment 151170

I thought of DP Grow right away, too.
Unfortunately, it seems not to be suitable for this task. I have always gotten some errors in FiberFX render. I think that is due to the way it displaces the points.

ciao
Thomas
Wow, that's something more like the stuff I got it mind. Actually you gave me an idea, and may be using spline control may also work, right? Deff worth checking!

inakito

Well yeah, depends on what inakito wanted, could be a just none animated typebut using a spline as guide, or it could be animated along a path as discussed in the latest post.
I could grow a pair of balls..along a path, with hair, but that may come across as obscene or off topic :D.

So easy to grow the hair in blender though, just go to render and timing and keyframe the ending parameter, if growing the hair as a main task fails with the described techniques above in Lightwave, and if you can get away by doing it elsewhere.
use children and kink and kink type braid, and animate the render timing Or/And the length of the children.

With hairnet addon in blender, you can use pretty much any modeled lightwave polyline curve/strandmaker made strands ..and convert to particle hair and let the hair animate along that curve, if you desire to make the curves in Lightwave that is, otherwise use whatever curve tool you want in blender of course.
View attachment 151175
Why everyone is lately so interested in bringing Blender along this forum? I know that this can be done in other software, being my choice Houdini, but I am interested in doing it with Ligthwave. I wonder, as I heard, if that may be down to Blender forum not being as nice as this one...xD

No offense :)

prometheus

REBORN
Why everyone is lately so interested in bringing Blender along this forum? I know that this can be done in other software, being my choice Houdini, but I am interested in doing it with Ligthwave. I wonder, as I heard, if that may be down to Blender forum not being as nice as this one...xD

No offense :)

Because it is the easiest way,
Unless very specificly stated initially that it has to be done in Lightwave, I am always open to
give tip on Any other software or tool able to pull a task off.

It´s not about bringing Blender per say in to the forum, this case on this post is not Everyone, this is just me ..on this matter...where blender does it simple to animate.
The rest of the "everyone" in this forum... that is of course just a matter of the current LW status and what else tool there is that can do a job and that perhaps has a certain feature LW don´t, a tool that is good and cheap and can fill the place of what "seems" to be a software at the end of it´s development cycle

But you made your point clear now that you do Only want to do this in Lightwave, thus I will not speak of blender anymore in this thread, and probably not
at all as a tool tip to use on other matters you have, should it arise and if I can remember not to :) in reference to you.

Last edited:

inakito

Because it is the easiest way,
Unless very specificly stated initially that it has to be done in Lightwave, I am always open to
give tip on Any other software or tool able to pull a task off.

It´s not about bring Blender per say in to the forum, this is not Everyone, this is just me ..on this matter...where blender does it simple to animate.
The rest of the "everyone" that is of course just a matter of the current LW status and what else tool there is that can do a job has a certain feature LW don´t, a tool that is good and cheap andcan fill in the place of what "seems" to be a software at the end of it´s development cycle

But you made your point clear now that you do Only want to do this in Lightwave, thus I will not speak of blender anymore in this thread, and probably not
at all as a tool tip to use on other matters you have, should it arise and if I can rembemer not to:)

Speaking about how using Lightwave in a Lightwave community forum makes complete sense to me, thanks :)

prometheus

REBORN
Speaking about how using Lightwave in a Lightwave community forum makes complete sense to me, thanks :)
This isn´t what makes sense for you, since you asked why other made any sense in posting other tools in to the LW forum, I responded on that :)
And also why, as to use a tool that makes it so much easier, and not getting stuck on imagined rules.

You could also complain about photoshop, illustrator, houdini, unity and other products as well, it does make so much more sense than filtering your complaints to blender only.
These forums have section allowed for talk about other products, including blender, and moderators have been open and stated it is not forbidden to mention blender.

You said, forum, not lightwave community, the forums are a community not only restricted to Lightwave.
It´s invevitable that other tools will be mentioned in the Lw community sections anyway, the forum rules aven´t set it that as forbidden in such strict way, if it´s not specificly promotional in nature that is.

The rest is about civil manner and what may be considered appropiate for any section, and with that I said... I will not talk anymore about that tool here in this section again.

Edited But yeah, can see you reacted since you have two threads running, "skull island" and that tool got mentioned in there as well, but it´s all about comparing renders, and as such..you can´t compare Lightwave render with Lightwave render can you, it will inevitable be compared against other renders. it is as it should be in my opinion though.

Let´s drop this now.

You initially wanted animated hair in Lightwave right, as Leitner showcased?
Just to bad Lightwave doesn´t have a simple length animate parameter to envelope set, random length and scale won´t cut it really, and the opengl don´t display animated channels properly it seems.

I think you can you should be able to use spline tools in layout, and use a polychain, or bones.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
You can also use the shifter node from dp kit to displace "Grow" a segmented polyline, has it´s limitations though.

shifter.jpg

Top Bottom