Frozen

Eugeny

Hi, I'm going to recreate this scene:

My wife was downloaded this picture and unfortunately don't remember the source address... So if some one know the name of the author pleas tell me.
Anyway it's only reference for the scene/mood. It's looks like some heavy fog /blizzard here with strong light beam from above. To me it's looks like abandoned ship docked somewhere, were is very cold.
Since no one want to show the idea, i'll keep it in secret as long as possible. But here is the short description:
Horror scene, with location from reference.
Will be one character in scene.

Started from camera matching for modeling. Meanwhile i have bunch of boxes placed in front the camera :)

Attachments

• Camera_Match_01.jpg
    Camera_Match_01.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 907
  • Boxes_01.jpg
    Boxes_01.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 861

Eugeny

Yes indeed cool pic , it's some kind of heavy smoke/fog/mist/snow, but it's on the water - look at the border of that ship (i'm assuming that this is the ship) there is some ice attached to.

Eugeny

Little update, working on this right now :)

Attachments

• Building_01.jpg
    Building_01.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 666
  • Building_02.jpg
    Building_02.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 936

Nangleator

Feels like John Carpenter's The Thing. McCready's shack.

But the light from above tells me it isn't based on that.

Eugeny

Unfortunately i know this film in Russian (translated), pity, looks like i missed lot of cool expressions.

Eugeny

Finlay i have an ice at the bottom of the frame (albeit i need to cover with snow the woods what was dropped there), it's real pain in the a*s to model something according to the picture with out modeler tools in layout. The Proton's technique of manipulating vertexes in layout with SoftFX - saved the night :D
Also the first attempt of lighting.

Attachments

• Building_04.jpg
    Building_04.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 746
  • Building_05.jpg
    Building_05.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 840

JohnMarchant

Looking good so far, the edge of the ice i think would not be so smooth or are you going to rough it up a bit. Cant wait to see how your going to do the atmospherics.

Regards, John

Eugeny

Well it's only modeler screen grabs, so i'll add some displacement to ice in layout.
Turned all geometry to CC in order to get rounded corners and areas covered with snow.
Working on atmosphere now, the biggest challenge is to have visible mist/fog that not alter the ship.

Attachments

• Building_06.jpg
    Building_06.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 680
  • Building_07.jpg
    Building_07.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 631
  • Building_08.jpg
    Building_08.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

Eugeny

A first atmosphere render with some materials applied (sigma2 for the snow and ice, and Dielectric for water). It's exposed version (more dark to get more contrast).

Attachments

• Render_01.jpg
    Render_01.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 929

Eugeny

There is nothing special about the snow, just Sigma2 (see screen grab with parameters), for snowed surfaces I'm used the same Sigma2 but with 25 mm Distance and some turbulence bump controlled by slope gradient (for vertical surfaces there the snow mast be more rough). Here is the more close look and screen grab. Ah, all things are build for scale (the whole building/ship is around 5.5 meter in hight). Also all models are CC and i use some displacement (nodal) similar to screen grab of snowed surface, it's make more puffy snow on top of surfaces.

Attachments

• Snow_Settings.jpg
    Snow_Settings.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 626
  • Snowed_Surface.jpg
    Snowed_Surface.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 697
  • Render_02.jpg
    Render_02.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 878
Top Bottom