from Archimedean to flight mode

omichon

The departure of The Route du Rhum, a solo transatlantic yacht race, which takes place every 4 years between France (Brittany) and Guadaloupe, is scheduled this Sunday, 4th November. This edition is very expected for its new generation of "flying" giants.

To illustrate how these multihulls weighing more than 15 tonnes and measuring more than 30 m could come out of the water, here is an animation showing the main phases to move from Archimedean to Flight mode (also available from my website) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxcYqrzAYz8

ianr

The departure of The Route du Rhum, a solo transatlantic yacht race, which takes place every 4 years between France (Brittany) and Guadaloupe, is scheduled this Sunday, 4th November. This edition is very expected for its new generation of "flying" giants.

To illustrate how these multihulls weighing more than 15 tonnes and measuring more than 30 m could come out of the water, here is an animation showing the main phases to move from Archimedean to Flight mode (also available from my website) :

Very nice, some the best white water wakes I have seen LightWave, commendable.

put up on Lightwiki also please

THIBAULT

Visualization FreeLance
Super travail Olivier ! Un peu comme d'habitude ! Vivement le départ !
PS: La Galerie d'Art et la Chaise Tonneau sont des expérimentations avec un autre soft que Lightwave ?

Last edited:

omichon

Thanks for the kind words, guys !

put up on Lightwiki also please
I am afraid I have no idea how to do that, I guess a Facebook account is required for that.

La Galerie d'Art et la Chaise Tonneau sont des expérimentations avec un autre soft que Lightwave ?
100% LightWave, Sir ;)
Art Gallery is a development of my first project done with LW2018.
Tonneau Chair was done with DP_LightWave...if you see what I mean.

prometheus

REBORN

Super...not only the white foam, the rest of the ocean etc looks awesome.:thumbsup:

MonroePoteet

Really excellent visualization! I've watched real-world videos of the racers getting up on the hydrofoils in real time, but this technical visualization is excellent for the specific moves to make the transition. Nicely done! I especially appreciate the on-screen "heads up display" showing wind speed and angle, the boat speed, and the annotated angles of the several hydrofoils.

Oh, not to mention the fabulous ocean, water, foam, ripples, clouds, lighting. :)

Wow! A truly magnificent endeavor, IMO!

mTp

omichon

I dig up this thread to post an updated version, done with LW2020. The previous one was done with LW2015.

Also available from my website with some additional images.

prometheus

REBORN
Really nice,

Though the inerit smoke fluid behavior is something that shouldn´t be there, that kind of mist from water sparks is though, so I understand why you used TFD I suppose, but particle water drop mist rarely behaves like that with inheriting such boyancy motion, not sure if you could pull it off with just particles.
Otherwise increase density for the fluids (other settings in TFD perhaps) but for gas solver in Lightwave that will let the fluid sink after initial splashes, more like particles being big droplet fluids affected by gravity.

eventual vorticity is rarely seen unless very turbulent heavy wind would affect it, and it rarely does..and if it did, it would be so strong(think heavy storm whipping waves on a lighthouse, it´s so strong that this ship would probably fly away in to the skies. :)

Top Bottom