First mainstream UK TV Channel based primarily on NDI® goes live.

livepad

CongratsGBNews.png

Congratulations to GBNews on a successful launch of the first mainstream TV Channel based primarily on NDI®.
Core NDI infrastructure delivered by multiple Sienna ND Processing Engines and NDI Router, along with Viz Vectar, Viz Engine and Kiloview NDI Converters.
https://gbnews.uk http://sienna.tv/ndi/ndiprocessor.html…
#NDI_tv
@NDI_tv

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Well, this is a double bonus for me.

NewTek created technology used to launch a brand new British news TV channel.

Hopefully, we'll finally get some unbiased journalism in our country.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Well hopefully the less petty minded viewers will appreciate the substance of the new channel's programming, understand that there will be growing pains and will continue to support it as it grows stronger and becomes better.

If that means the beligerent "Tolerant" intolerants walk away, all the better. It just means the grown ups who enjoy the channel can do so in peace.

I'm an American. And, I will probably get banned from this forum for sharing a political opinion. But, the fact is that liberals in my country routinely accuse the far right of being uneducated fools. Combined with the fact that GBNewsFails has over 20,000 Twitter followers who enjoy laughing at the constant on-air spelling mistakes of GBNews, it really lends credence to what the liberals in America say about the far right everywhere: they come across as uneducated. In this case, on account of their poor spelling on GBNews. Bottom line: a news channel's low quality production values *should not* be international news. But, for some reason, it's in the news. Unfortunately. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/d...dvertiser-boycotts-in-opening-days/ar-AAL5Xb6

Last edited:

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
I'm an American. And, I will probably get banned from this forum for sharing a political opinion.
I'd be very surprised if that happened here. I've not really known this forum to persecute members because they have an honest opinion. Political or otherwise. As long as you're civil, I don't believe you'd be punished for your views. This isn't Facebook/Twitter/YouTube/Patreon/PayPal/Sony/MicroSoft thankfully.

But, the fact is that liberals in my country routinely accuse the far right of being uneducated fools. Combined with the fact that GBNewsFails has over 20,000 Twitter followers who enjoy laughing at the constant on-air spelling mistakes of GBNews, it really lends credence to what the liberals in America say about the far right everywhere: they come across as uneducated. In this case, on account of their poor spelling on GBNews. Bottom line: a news channel's low quality production values *should not* be international news. But, for some reason, it's in the news. Unfortunately. https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/d...dvertiser-boycotts-in-opening-days/ar-AAL5Xb6
I agree with you that those groups view the other side in this way and are extremely vocal about their self appointed (contradictory) moral standard. However, the whole reason for the creation of GBNews is because of the unbelievable amount of bias and lack of impartiality by British broadcasters and journalists.

The fact that there are groups who have identified there is a major problem with our mainstream media news standards and sought to do something about it, a) doesn't make them "Far Right" and b) seems absolutely lost on those who consider themselves so much more intelligent, fair, open minded, tolerant, inclusive, peace loving, non judgemental, respectful of everyone (but only if you think like them and have never once in your life deviated). They seem so dead set on exercising their "values" that they'll resort to anything to prevent alternative voices/points of view/perspectives being heard because they're so much better than everyone else. So much better in fact that they resort to their usual tactics of lying, distorting, perversion of events and shaming tactics to try and torpedo any form of alternative choice. Because, you know.... that's just how they roll.

So should those who enjoy the content of GBNews give any consideration or concern to the Liberals?

Absolutely not. To know their mind is to know madness.

Ignore them and they'll go away.

Last edited:
I really don’t understand it. Even local news in a small city in America has better production value than GBNews. I would like to say it’s because conservatives don’t value skilled labor to do things like build sets, light sets, engineer audio, engineer graphics, etc. but truthfully, much as I hate to admit it, the Sinclair stations do generally have good production value, even though the company is owned by conservative crazies. So, I am at a loss for words for why GBNews is, frankly, amateur hour. I do think society benefits from varied perspectives in the news, and I will try not to draw too much conclusion about Britain’s conservatives from a single television channel’s news coverage. But, I will say that, after watching this channel on and off today that I finally think I understand a little bit more about the people who foolishly made your country no longer be a part of the EU. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I do hope, for your country’s sake, that your conservatives can govern a country better than they can manage a TV channel.

… cause they’re obviously pretty mediocre at managing a TV channel.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Well, the thing you're missing is this.

Whenever a new venture is started (and this applies to any new enterprise), very rarely (if ever) do things go smoothly straight off the bat.

This is particularly true with film productions. If you have ever tried to make a film you'll understand the logistical production nightmare that you will be subjecting yourself to. And that's at any production scale.

If you then consider the launching of a TV channel then this nightmare is magnified 100 fold. There are so many things that are simply out of your control that can and do go wrong because the scale of the venture is absolutely mind-bogglingly huge. No one person can do it by themselves. A team is needed which in itself can be a point of failure (the human element).

Many people on the outside are completely oblivious to the problems being tackled behind the scenes of any form of production (be it a drawing, an animation, a musical composition, a meal being made, whatever). They only know and judge the end result, these people have no appreciation of the efforts gone to to deliver the results, let alone have any possible hope of having any form of competence to undertake such a venture themselves.

So it's easy for some to sit in judgement of others who bravely make the effort to "put up" instead of "shut up", and face ridicule by those groups which don't have what it takes to take matters in their own hands and do something constructive and practical about a situation. Who instead prefer the more non productive methods of "always complaining about something", "always playing the victim", "always blaming someone else", "never taking any personal responsibility for their actions", "always expecting someone else to solve their perceived problems" and "never living in the real world, preferring to live instead only in their little bubble of ideology".

In the real world, pioneers make mistakes. But they also learn from those mistakes and make themselves and those around them better. They are not afraid to try something new. They are not afraid to face ridicule. They are the ones that shape the world because they are the ones that take action and build civilisations. And invariably they are and have been people with Right leaning values.

Now please don't take this as being directed at you personally, because it's not. This is just my view of the Left and the Right in a generalised scope.

The bottom line is, I applaud any one who decides that they are going to put something of value into the world that gives people a choice, a voice, and respects and encourages their right to have and express them without persecution.

Yes, GBNews production value isn't perfect yet, but you tell me what brand new venture or product's first iteration ever was.

But, I will say that, after watching this channel on and off today that I finally think I understand a little bit more about the people who foolishly made your country no longer be a part of the EU. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Well, I guess you'd have to have a deeper understanding and experience of Britain's history, values, economics and culture, and how the EU conflicts with it before you could be qualified to make any claims of "foolishness" of her people.

Last edited:
All good, valid points. This is a spirited discussion. Candidly, and I'll just come out and say it, I wish to throw some shade on GBNews' decision to contract with Mediability for building a broadcast infrastructure, and for Mediability to do so with software-driven systems, rather than traditional iron-based hardware racks filled with equipment from known vendors. I suspect that whatever advantages a software-based workflow has are currently offset by the lack of technicians intimately familiar with operating them, upper management who has been easily swayed by sales pitches about the reduced number of technicians needed (obviously not true), and general mismanagement of the entire operations side of this broadcaster. I have read comments to the effect of, "the morning show looks depressing" because it is not lit properly. Look, lighting a morning show is a skill. The going rate for a morning-show quality lighting designer, ten years ago, was $2500 a day. I imagine it has gone up since then. Times, I don't know how many days. Is GBNews spending that kind of money on lighting designers? Apparently not. And, it shows in the Twitter complaints about the show looking "depressing" ok? I applaud people who put things of value in the world, too, but I have sharp criticism for those who half-arse things.

On the flip side, it is unfair to compare GBNews to the BBC, because of your country's mandatory broadcast fee / tax / whatever. But, I have serious doubts about an NDI-based workflow for live news production or master control after watching this channel. I would love to see a root-cause analysis of the on-air problems. I suspect that it's unfamiliarity with IP-based workflows rather than the software itself being defective. But, I don't really know. I don't know if they know either.

Mediability refers to GBNews as having, "Britain's Most Advanced Newsroom" but I think most viewers were happier with less-advanced newsrooms that had good quality video, good quality audio, and good quality graphics. GBNews has none of those things. : (

Lastly, for an organization fueled by right-wing, or at least center-right bias, it is confounding that they have engineered an operation around minimal staffing like this, and are so utterly reliant on the computers to automate everything for them, because I literally thought that the right-wing was all about jobs for native citizens of the country, rather than automating things, which evidently isn't working out so well after all. At least the BBC and Sky News create a lot of jobs for technicians, unlike GBNews, which appears to be averse to proper staffing in general.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Well I for one really appreciate you being candid. To me it is a sign of good character and if your summation is "if you're going to do something, do it right", then I can totally get behind that.

The problem is, sometimes circumstances prevent that from happening (usually due to the human element *cough* management *cough*) and you've just got to get it out the door. Ready or not.

But yeah, in an ideal world.......

With regard to behind the scenes decision making, well we'll never know why certain choices were made, but given time we'll see how GBNews stacks up. It's far too early to judge right now.

Start small and grow.

Last edited:
Fun chatting! I appreciate interacting with someone from another country on this topic, because it allows both of us to be objective, and not aggravate one another as if we are trying to influence one another in areas of domestic policy. I want to be clear that I strongly believe individual people have a human right to say things like, “those people are crazy and I strongly disagree with them!” and the other side should be able to respond with, “those people are crazy and I strongly disagree with them!” And, I want to be clear that it seems reasonable to me that both of these perspectives should be amplified and be well-represented on the mass communication systems of the day, in any era, whether that be word-of-mouth, papyrus, the printing press, radio, television, cable, satellite, internet, cellular internet, text, audio, video, animation, or whatever. So, to the extent that I support human rights (and “human lefts”! hehe), of course I support the existence of the crazy GBNews! ;-)

Have a great day!

Yours truly,
A crazy center-leftist from ‘merica : )
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term='merica

P.S. - the views expressed on Fox News in America are, in my opinion, completely crazy. But, their production value is, indeed, top notch! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Lastly, a distant relative of mine, who lived in Southwark, in 1642, named his son Hamlet, in protest of the Puritans closing (and eventually tearing down) Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. I know a little bit about Britain’s history and am impressed at the long history and spirit of fighting back against people, ideologies, and, frankly, authoritarianism that people find unbearable. I mean, I’m an American. The entire existence of our country came from fighting back against other people who were making their day-to-day lives unbearable. I support the human right to reform societies. Best wishes my friend!

Can you believe there was a time when Parliament, under the influence of the Puritans, closed down theatre’s and issued fines to anyone caught attending a play?

Last edited:

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Fun chatting! I appreciate interacting with someone from another country on this topic, because it allows both of us to be objective, and not aggravate one another as if we are trying to influence one another in areas of domestic policy.

Yes, I too enjoyed our discussion, however I am A LOT more wary about engaging in discussions of this type than I used to be. Today's tolerance for having a differing opinion has changed radically. There are now serious consequences that I now have to take into consideration when engaging in certain types of subject matter.

These are truly scary times for freedom.

My hope is that one day the grown ups will take back control of Western society and start leading by logic, reason and rational principles once again.

I want to be clear that I strongly believe individual people have a human right to say things like, “those people are crazy and I strongly disagree with them!” and the other side should be able to respond with, “those people are crazy and I strongly disagree with them!” And, I want to be clear that it seems reasonable to me that both of these perspectives should be amplified and be well-represented on the mass communication systems of the day, in any era, whether that be word-of-mouth, papyrus, the printing press, radio, television, cable, satellite, internet, cellular internet, text, audio, video, animation, or whatever. So, to the extent that I support human rights (and “human lefts”! hehe), of course I support the existence of the crazy GBNews! ;-)

Have a great day!

Yours truly,
A crazy center-leftist from ‘merica : )
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term='merica

P.S. - the views expressed on Fox News in America are, in my opinion, completely crazy. But, their production value is, indeed, top notch! 🤷🏻‍♂️

And he started off so well. But that ending though. ;)

Can you believe there was a time when Parliament, under the influence of the Puritans, closed down theatre’s and issued fines to anyone caught attending a play?

Sir, I have seen British laws that still exist (but not enforced) that are so archaic they are beyond absurd. Even today we have police procedures that are beyond any type of reasoning.

For example the police here have the power to contact a British subject and (get this) "Check their thinking" if someone reports them as committing a "hate crime" on social media. And in so doing, have the individual being interviewed entered into their criminal database for committing a "crime not crime".

I kid you not. This is a real thing over here.

A victim of this, Harry Miller, tells his story here if you're interested. It's a long interview but very enlightening.

In any case, it was very refreshing to have an adult conversation with you online without being subjected to insults and petulance. You've given me some hope for the return of civility.

Best regards from the land of your distant relatives who lived not too far from me in fact. As boroughs go, Southwark (pronounced Suth-erk) is just next door to my borough.

The Bazz

That Harry Miller interview was really strange. In America, once the cop found out that Harry was a former cop, they would have happily made the report go away, and laughed about it. The fact that it went to court is totally unAmerican. I’m serious and this isn’t a joke. Seeing a police officer investigate and interrogate one of their own is as unusual as seeing someone walk upside-down on the ceiling. I would even say that, among cops, doing so would constitute, “hate speech” against a fellow officer. The difference in police culture there vs here is astounding. I‘m shocked.

Last edited:
OK. I have spent a few hours catching up on what's going on in your country. WOW. What in the world??! To be clear, when I describe myself as center-left, I mean I wouldn't mind something along the lines of the NHS, and that I think people should pay taxes, like, literally, some taxes, and that I don't think libertarianism (aka - anarchy) is a good idea. What leftists are doing in your country is outrageous! Though I identify as secular humanist, I would be outraged if my government, on my behalf, was arresting street preachers reading from the Book of Genesis. Your country has gone mad! And, it's not because of Brexit! Holy cow! Yes, indeed, be careful about what you say online in Britain. No kidding!

In America, the remedy for offensive speech (like reading from the Book of Genesis) is MORE SPEECH, by, for example, someone standing next to that person and reading from the Declaration of Independence, about everyone being equal. We do not arrest people for offensive speech. We try to drown them out, with more speech. What has happened, over time, is that anyone with a strong, offensive opinion knows better than to spout it in public, because they're just going to get drowned out by people with the opposite opinion. And, because of that, we don't need a "public disorder" law to get people to shut up. They just do it independently.

Top Bottom