Extra Buffer nodes

omichon

This looks really nice.

Not sure how to make this work, I downloaded Dp filter for 2018, but cant find the node dp median :S is there a different plugin to download?

It's part of DP Filter. If you type "median" in the search box of the Node Editor, you should see it (DP Filter > Filters > Median). If not then try to remove and re-add DP Filter plugin.

lardbros

Not so newbie member
Thanks again Gerardo! Always like seeing your examples :)
Neat implementation by Denis, that WILL come in handy!

gerardstrada

Neat implementation by Denis, that WILL come in handy!
Totally agree Tim! really surprised how well DP Median filter is working with HDR values.

Regarding another new topic, in previous versions of LW, we set up Matte Objects and Surfaces in Pixel Filter NE in order we can get antialiasing. This can be done as well in Surface NE through DP ExtraBuffers. These node setups can be found in this article:

https://web.archive.org/web/2014061..._Editors#Object_Matte_Pass_.2F_Object_ID_Pass

GlobalBuffers and several other previous pixel filter functionality is not present yet in v2018 of DP PFNE since the SDK is kind of opaque for Denis (really hope he receives the NT support we all are waiting for). We don't have DP ExtraBuffers in v2018 due to the same reason, but instead of DP ExtraBuffers, Denis has developed the new DP GetCustomBuffers! It operates through the new LW CustomBuffers by sending these data to DP Image Filter Node Editor. This is the procedure:

- Go to Render Properties=>Buffers=> CreateCustomBuffers

- Pick a name with the prefix DPF_ (let's say DPF_MatteObjects)

- Enable Render Buffer and Adaptive Sampling

Note: We can choose any Reconstruction Filter or any Filter Radius we want.

That's all.

In Surface Node Editor you'll see these new buffers entries in the Surface Root. Just input the attached node setups (you can of course modify or replace these with your favorite node tree for surface/object mattes) and activate VPR. We can switch from FinalRender to any of these new CustomBuffers to check how things are going.

Note: Notice that we get not only nice antialiasing, but also DOF, motionblur, etc. either for objects:

or surfaces:

For saving these buffers we can use LW's Output module. Or if you want to save in DP IFNE, just double click in ImageFilter node and enable Global Buffers.

Then add a GetGlobalBuffers node and connect there your Custom Buffers by double clicking and export as usual.

Notice that the post-processing could be performed also in DP IFNE by using DP ColorKey and DP Mixer nodes in conjunction with all color correction tools we can arrange with DP Filter Node Editors, DP Kit and native LW nodes.

Merry Christmas!

Gerardo

Attachments

• mattes.rar
    1.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

MarcusM

I am not node master so i have question.

It is possible to use DP_Median on Specular Indirect buffer and merge result in final color channel in Image Filter?

Also DP_Median could be used few times in series.

gerardstrada

Good points! yes, DP Median may be used in series and it's possible to apply them only to problematic buffers - commonly indirect specular, direct specular and indirect diffuse sometimes. That's a cleaner approach since would preserve better more details and it's viable if we are going for multipass rendering, then we can recompose our whole beauty pass in DP IFNE, or any other compositing package. But in some cases, like this one:

full beauty pass composition is not necessary, we can just treat only the problematic buffers through DP Median

subtract the problematic untreated buffers from Final Color and then add the result of the treated buffers with DP Median back to Final Color.

guess it depends on how much rebel fireflies are there.

Gerardo

MarcusM

From my test i see that fireflies can be on few buffers, depend from BSDF settings and shaders: Diffuse_Indirect, Clearcoat_Indirect, Specular_Indirect, Refraction, SSS_Indirect and DP_Median not working on Refraction.

gerardstrada

Just in case, DP Median works on Refraction buffer as well, but one thing worth to notice with it is that its results are in dependence on surrounding pixels and in this sense, it is useful for getting rid of hot pixels artifacts and not actual noise due to too few samples. i.e. For this material we have just 1 refraction sample:

what we see there is not actually fireflies artifact but noise artifacts due to just a single refraction sample. In cases like this, DP Denoiser may be more suitable:

If we increase refraction samples to let's say 8, we can get rid of the noise and actually see a couple of fireflies there in refraction buffer

which can be solved with DP Median as usual:

A possible refinement for DP Median usage could be to convert from RGB to HSV/HLS and apply different settings according to hue/saturation/value/relative luminance and then convert back to RGB. However for extreme cases we still may try with the roll-off + logarithmic setup shared before.

Julez4001 said:
You mind if I repost this in the LW Support Facebook Group? With full credit of course.

Hey Julez! sure!

Gerardo

Last edited:

gerardstrada

Just to let you know Denis has developed a new Antialiasing tool! it's based on "Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing" paper (SMAA 1x), you'll find it in Effects group of DP Filter Node Editors.

This new node could be useful for example if we want to use the Object/Surface Matte passes setups shared for DP Image Filter Node Editor here:

https://web.archive.org/web/2014061..._Editors#Object_Matte_Pass_.2F_Object_ID_Pass

Color or Color+Value Edge Detection Mode works fine for using it after matte pass setups:

DP Antialiasing node could be useful also if we would like to perform color corrections within LightWave in DP Image Filter Node Editor, since the node help us to get nicer edges with DP Mask Objects/Surfaces nodes:

It could be used also when we apply DP DOF and we get some aliased artifacts:

As we can see some areas are aliased:

DP Antialias can help us to get rid of those by applying it after DP DOF node:

and get nicer edges:

Think you will find more interesting usages, probably it could be used also when rendering at double resolution (2x) and downsampling to get smoother results (like 4x), etc...

Denis has made DP Antialiasing and DP Median available for v2015 as well!

Happy New Year!!!

Gerardo

Last edited:

Very Nice! :)

i assume it works ok with FiberFX also, since FiberFX in 2018 is basically 2 point poly chains.
in 11.6 DP Dof couldn't read the FiberFX data, as far as i know.

Thanks again, always value your posts, and DPont's contributions :king:

adk

areté
Superb information Gerardo. Many thanks for all the tips and tricks you've provided over the years, and as always thanks Denis P.
Happy 2019 guys!

gerardstrada

Adk, Allabulle, glad you find some of these tests useful! Erikals, yes, if artifacts are produced by post-Dof, then DP AA can help. Tried also if it could help when using poor AA settings for FiberFX in v2018 but there's not a very noticeable difference for the fibers:

In v2015 we can indeed get better results with DP Antialiasing by using the double DP PFNE instance trick with the Classic Camera, so for every AA pass we can apply DP Antialiasing filter, too. It's like doubling the AA passes without the render time hit.

Gerardo

"Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing"
ah, just like OLM for PhotoShop. Awesome!

better results with DP Antialiasing by using the double DP PFNE instance trick
nice! :)

does it only work with Classic Camera? never the less, mighty cool, will try this. :)

edit: any possibility of having it released for LightWave 11?
no biggie, but would be cool if it's not too much work.

Last edited:

gerardstrada

You are right! it works also with other cameras. But we need to set up Sampling Pattern to Classic or Fixed and use Motion Blur passes. This does not work in LW2018 because its SDK is opaque in this and other matters. Still waiting that NT may support Denis on this subject so we can have this and many other features (native buffers, Global Buffers, DOF filter, Motion Blur filter, AA filter, etc...) working at pixel filter level. It seems also that in LW 2018, Subframes in Motion Blur do not improve antialiasing - it works probably like Low-Discrepancy sampling pattern in v2015.

Gerardo

Quantenschaum

Nonplanar Triangle
i know! i'm bad with nodes! :)
is it possible to do a step by step tuto for how to apply 'median' exclusively to 'Spec Indirect' plus maybe 'Diff Indirect' and then get a clean composed end render?
should be easy to figure out how to add other buffers from there.

i could in turn do one of my illustrated 'how to: for noobs' doc-versions in the facebook Lightwave Support Group :)

Last edited:

gar26lw

@Gerardo - are the examples posted here and in other threads 2018 or are they 2015 or a mix of both?

Could I ask t put a note about which one so we don't get confused?

thanks

gerardstrada

Quantenschaum, Ok! I'll make a step by step tuto.

Gar26lw, from the post about DPFilter update news for v2018 to last post about DP Antialiasing, renders are full v2018, excepting the LW Hero scene which is full v2015 and the color management process of the cartoon-style render which is a back and forth between both versions (but that's kind off-topic for this thread). However in any of both exceptions, the subjects covered for this thread apply for both versions indistinctly, seeing that DP Antialiasing is used in the same way in both versions and Surface/Object Matte nodes used with DP CustomBuffers in v2018 can be used also in v2015 with DP ExtraBuffers. But you are right, from now on if I use v2015 or a mix, I'll specify, if don't - then v2018 can be assumed :)

Gerardo

Top Bottom