Erikas - Bevel Sucks Video

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Be sure to recalibrate your printer (or at least reconfirm calibration) right before the print, and you should be fine w.r.t. sizing.

ccclarke

Male Modeler
The majority of my models are scaled @ 1/96, (within the slicer) which is large enough to see small details but not so large the boats can't be transported inside a vehicle - like a 6' Trident boat.

As for printer calibration, that has never been an issue unless I make any hardware changes. (I'm using industrial printers.)

Thank you for your replies; I really appreciate the advice.

jenniemoralis

The majority of my models are scaled @ 1/96, (within the slicer) which is large enough to see small details but not so large the boats can't be transported inside a vehicle - like a 6' Trident boat.

As for printer calibration, that has never been an issue unless I make any hardware changes. (I'm using industrial printers.)

Do you have an example of these models that you can share, my friend?

ccclarke

Male Modeler
The STL files I create are used for generating detailed RC submarines to be sold in kit form which takes considerable time to gather reference material, design, print, test, re-design, (when necessary) followed by the creation of extensive build documentation. (This adds up to months of effort for each new hull offering.)

Sorry, the files are IP -not shareware, or even for sale.

Traditionally, RC submarines have been constructed of hand-laid fiberglass/resin which is also time-consuming due to the massive amount of labor involved for every hull produced - and that's after molds are built. Fiberglass boats can sell for thousands of dollars which keeps a pretty tight damper on people wanting to enter the hobby.

The majority of 3D printing labor costs are front-loaded during the design and test phase; materials are not terribly expensive, (but good printers are) and the lower entry costs associated with 3D-printed hulls makes the hobby more affordable, which grows the hobby and supports vendors. FDM printing works well for the major portions of the hull sections and resin printing covers the small detail parts, like masts and antennas.

Thingverse has several suitable RC submarine STLs, (expertly designed by evolve) that can be downloaded for free.

For everything else, there's Mastercard.

CCC

Last edited:

ccclarke

Male Modeler
I was able to round the curved edges with a pair of edge selections and a fillet command using Fusion 360. (It took longer to type the first two sentences in this thread than complete the task!)

Going forward, I'll stick with LW for some things, but for what should be simple modeling commands without worrying about crossing over exterior side edges and corrupting a mesh, this makes a pretty compelling argument to change modeling apps, the added ability to easily generate drawings is an added bonus.

My LW modeling experience is very helpful in learning a new app; most commands are similar, but LW's modeling tools have been neglected for too long and I end up wasting time manually aligning elements to complete tasks that can be knocked out in seconds with a better-supported CAD program. The ability to select a face and have the Hole command automatically center the hole or create a hole pattern with a drag handle to change the diameter - not to mention being able to edit every command later if needed, reminds me of the workflow leap I discovered with LW's Edge tools so long ago. It's a shame Newtek and later Vizart couldn't keep the momentum going.

This app seems to have incorporated a lot of similar time-saving features across the board and being free, I can learn and upgrade to a more functional paid version later (I don't need to create tool paths or have team collaboration capability). I have no issue paying for upgrades to support a program/company, but the current situation has remained static for too long for me to wait anymore.

I can import the CAD output into LW for texturing/animation when required. I enjoy LW's interface, but for modeling efficiency, (= time-savings!!) it isn't even close.

Attachments

• Rounded Cylinder Outer Sides.jpg
    Rounded Cylinder Outer Sides.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
I was able to round the curved edges with a pair of edge selections and a fillet command using Fusion 360. (It took longer to type the first two sentences in this thread than complete the task!)

This app seems to have incorporated a lot of similar time-saving features across the board and being free, I can learn and upgrade to a more functional paid version later (I don't need to create tool paths or have team collaboration capability). I have no issue paying for upgrades to support a program/company, but the current situation has remained static for too long for me to wait anymore.

I can import the CAD output into LW for texturing/animation when required. I enjoy LW's interface, but for modeling efficiency, (= time-savings!!) it isn't even close.

Thanks for testing it.
I haven´t gotten around to try it ..I think, maybe I did some years ago but my memory fails.

Will have to download and try it out as soon as I have made room for more software to be installed.
It seems it has more import options compared to Designsparks..which also have a free and a payed versions.
The limitations in Fusion 360 seem to be mostly aimed to actions you need for pro work, but I have to try it.

Designsparks imports and exports this..

Import..

step,stp
stl
obj
sketchup.skp

Export..
Amf
dxf
Gltf
obj
stl
xaml
jpg
png
OpenVDB.vdb (works well to import vdb files to lightwave 2019.1.5, it is tested.)
PDF facet (3D)
sketchup.skp

Fusion 360 imports and exports this..

Import..

123dx
dxfs
f3d
f3z
fbx
ige
iges
igs
obj
ste
step
stl
stp

Export..
f3d
f3z
fbx
iam
ipt
obj
skp
smt
step
stl
stp

So step and iges is a nice thing In Fusion 360 since Designsparks don´t have it, and the payed version full out on sldasm,sldprt solidworks files support it seems.
Lack´s sketchup import and export which I use from time to time, but not really necessary I think.

Designsparks having vdb export is a nice touch, but not necessary(from my point of view)
But 3D pdf export is very nice that I don´t think fusion 360 have, if you want to present a model to someone that doesn´t have any 3D software installed.

raymondtrace

Founding member
It isn't reasonable to compare a CAD design tool like Fusion 360 to a polygon modeler. That's like comparing apples and orange-colored sailboats.

It is not possible to change your mind and move the hole in that cylinder example with any mesh modeler (unless the modeler is storing part data in the background). We've always been better off with a true CAD tool for industrial design (aka "hard surface modeling" in wannabe mesh modelers). Even LW employees shared this decades ago: https://forums.newtek.com/threads/rhino-and-lightwave.9577/

prometheus

REBORN
It is not possible to change your mind and move the hole in that cylinder example with any mesh modeler (unless the modeler is storing part data in the background). We've always been better off with a true CAD tool for industrial design (aka "hard surface modeling" in wannabe mesh modelers). Even LW employees shared this decades ago: https://forums.newtek.com/threads/rhino-and-lightwave.9577/

It is Very possible to move a hole in a cylinder with a mesh modeler, even having a bevel modifier and then move it, including animating it, setup is none destructive and hole size and location can be changed at any time using boolean brush in the bool tool, one have to be careful anyway how the mesh division and the bevel is made to avoid error in geometry.
Array modifiers to create row of holes is also doable.

Boolean brush.jpg

raymondtrace

Founding member
I appreciate your demonstration but when you acknowledge "setup is none destructive", you are recognizing that "the modeler is storing part data in the background"...as I stated.

prometheus

REBORN
I appreciate your demonstration but when you acknowledge "setup is none destructive", you are recognizing that "the modeler is storing part data in the background"...as I stated.

Perhaps..
Initially I probably misread what you stated as LW modeler, but you probably refered to Any modeler doing that.
Howeverr sentence just made little sense to me in how you phrased it by initially saying it´s not possible ..since you probably knew other software can do this with the help of utilizing stored background data, so it would be enough to state what you said last, it is possible if you use background data.
But semantics.

All good.

raymondtrace

Founding member
I was really just trying to promote the idea of having a real CAD app in our toolboxes, as I believe you have done with previous mentions of DesignSpark (and others have suggested FreeCAD, MoI, & Fusion 360). Modern mesh modelers (like Blender) are making great progress in non-destructive techniques but they are still far from delivering what CAD tools can offer. I'm hoping the line continues to blur so we don't need to be jumping between applications.

prometheus

REBORN
I was really just trying to promote the idea of having a real CAD app in our toolboxes, as I believe you have done with previous mentions of DesignSpark (and others have suggested FreeCAD, MoI, & Fusion 360). Modern mesh modelers (like Blender) are making great progress in non-destructive techniques but they are still far from delivering what CAD tools can offer. I'm hoping the line continues to blur so we don't need to be jumping between applications.

Nothing to argue about, I am all with you on all that, I agree completely.

Top Bottom