DVD Workshop SE Menu

Ed Wallick

New member
This will probably sound very basic for most of you. I have used DVD WS2 SE many times but never with a menu - always drop the video in First Play and then it plays right from the start.

Now I have someone who wants a menu and I have read the instructions which I find very lacking. I looked through the tutorials and found none but I really hope I missed it.

Lacking a turorial, does anyone have an easy to follow guide?

Tks,
Ed Wallick Video Productions
edwallickvideo
Garland, Texas
972-226-3336
 

wvp

Toaster Oven
Ed, Try this link:
http://www.ulead.com/learning/dws.htm

Basically, on the menu page near the bottom center you will find little icons. Mouse over them - one is a menu wizard that will walk you through creating a menu. You can customize also, but this way is the simplest.
 

Ed Wallick

New member
Thanks for the link to the Tutorials and for the suggestion on the book. The link does help and I may also buy the book.

Thanks again,
Ed
 

Ed Wallick

New member
I'm still missing out somewhere - just not sure where.

I have a 1 hour and 20 minute project that I have encoded in TMPGEnc and I have put it into the DVD WS2 SE. At the Edit Tab I placed it in the second spot at the bottom. I tried to get different In Points and Out Points set so I would have 4 buttons on the menu. I tried to follow the tutorial but I apparently am not understanding it.

I'm thinking from the wording in the DVD WS2 pages that are in the VT[4] book that it's necessary to have a different clip for EACH segment you want to be set as a menu. Is This True?

I tried putting the whole 1:20 long project in four times and setting the In Point and Out Point so I would in effect have four clips. Couldn't make that work.

I really don't think I'm bad at following directions but these "directions" from U-Lead are not well written IMHO.

Am I beyond help? I'll be glad to pay for a phone call if someone will email me privately with your phone number if you'll take the time to walk me through it.

Thanks for any help,
Ed
[email protected]
 

Tom Wood

Amused
Ed Wallick said:
I'm thinking from the wording in the DVD WS2 pages that are in the VT[4] book that it's necessary to have a different clip for EACH segment you want to be set as a menu. Is This True?

I tried putting the whole 1:20 long project in four times and setting the In Point and Out Point so I would in effect have four clips.

I'm not following you. Do you want your single 1:20 project to have four chapters, each with their own button on the DVD menu?

If so, set each chapter while in the main EDIT tab at the top of the project as described on page 70 of the manual in the VT4 notebook. The chapters marker icons will be in the vertical filmstrip thingy at the right of the screen called the Chapter List. Go to the project MENU tab and create a menu with as many buttons as you have chapters. At the bottom (in the Content Window) select the Menu List, and then at the top left of the project window select 'button' to get the playlist for each button. (The Options Panel, per page 16 in the manual) Click on the button in the main menu window to select it, then click on the chapter list icon at the right and drag it to the playlist.

Note that if you want the video to keep playing after it completes a selected chapter, you have to add all subsequent chapters to the playlist for each button. Example, the button for chapter 2 will also need chapters 3 and 4 in the button 2 playlist if you want the DVD to keep playing beyond chapter 2 when the user clicks on just the chapter 2 button.

Note also that the one button that will play all chapters has to have 'play all titles' in the button play list. Mouse over the icons at the top of the button playlist for adding that sort of option, 'play all titles' is second from the right. For some reason just listing all the chapters in that button's list doesn't work right. And yes, it's very confusing to have the frigging 'chapters' referred to as 'titles' in the button playlist.
 

Ed Wallick

New member
Thanks Tom,

I'm not too good at reading all of the directions leading up to the section of the DVD WS2 but I finally did read the introduction which helped me understand the names and what is being referred to in the instructions on page 70.

I now have the chapter selections made with the I-frames identified and working on the Navigation Panel. I have the frames showing in the Chapter List and have now created the menu with pictures in each button and text below each one.

Now I cannot interpret the instructions on how to tie the chapters to the buttons. Page 72 states, "To set chapters for a slideshow: 1. Select the slideshow title in the Title List. 2. Right-click the image you want to set as chapter in the Chapter List then select Mark as Chapter." When I right click on the image on the Chapter List all I get is Delete Chapter. There is no Mark as Chapter option.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Ed
 

Tom Wood

Amused
Ed Wallick said:
Now I cannot interpret the instructions on how to tie the chapters to the buttons. Page 72 states, "To set chapters for a slideshow: 1. Select the slideshow title in the Title List. 2. Right-click the image you want to set as chapter in the Chapter List then select Mark as Chapter." When I right click on the image on the Chapter List all I get is Delete Chapter. There is no Mark as Chapter option.

I think all that slideshow stuff is in reference to creating a VCD or SVCD, and doesn't always apply to a DVD. Look at page 88, Playlist. Select the button you want to work with in the menu preview window, then drag a chapter to that button's playlist to associate that chapter with that button.

TW
 

Ed Wallick

New member
Well, Tom, with your patience in helping me through this I have finallly arrived at a working menu! I'm testing it in the Finish/Preview window. I've checked all buttons which certainly start where they are supposed to. Since I didn't set any Outpoints is it safe to assume they will stop at the next chapter button?

Also, the group of controls to the right on the menu seem to be self explanatory although I have a question about the arrow at the bottom - again, assuming, could that be a "play all" button?

Again, thanks for the in depth help.
Ed
 

Tom Wood

Amused
Ed Wallick said:
Well, Tom, with your patience in helping me through this I have finallly arrived at a working menu! I'm testing it in the Finish/Preview window. I've checked all buttons which certainly start where they are supposed to. Since I didn't set any Outpoints is it safe to assume they will stop at the next chapter button?

Yes, but note that the bottom item in the button playlist is usually the MENU, meaning it will return to Menu if there are no other items in the playlist. If you want it to keep playing after it finishes Chapter 2, the Chapters 3 and 4 have to be in the Chapter 2 playlist, after Chapter 2. This continual play seems to be the most common, but you might have a special need to return to menu after each chapter.

Ed Wallick said:
Also, the group of controls to the right on the menu seem to be self explanatory although I have a question about the arrow at the bottom - again, assuming, could that be a "play all" button?

Dunno where you are with that question. Page number?
 

Ed Wallick

New member
If you look on page 92 there are four sample menus shown. The upper left one (says Highlight Images under it) shows pretty clear - although all four show the same - down the right hand side of the menu are four small buttons. The top one looks like a house but could be an up arrow. The middle two are left and right end arrows (I guess) and the bottom one is a "Play" arrow which actually I found out plays the whole video (all chapters)
In the book (pg 92) the caption under the upper right menu says, Button Information, but that seems to apply to all buttons, including the chapter buttons.

However, under the play button appears a "99/99" and I can't guess what that is unless a place to put a month and year?

Ed
 

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Tom Wood said:
Yes, but note that the bottom item in the button playlist is usually the MENU, meaning it will return to Menu if there are no other items in the playlist. If you want it to keep playing after it finishes Chapter 2, the Chapters 3 and 4 have to be in the Chapter 2 playlist, after Chapter 2. This continual play seems to be the most common, but you might have a special need to return to menu after each chapter.
Ah, well, actually, the playlist doesn't need any more chapters in it than the initial one. There is no way in DVD WS 2 to tell it to just play one chapter and then return to the menu. The only way to do that would be to have separate titles in the playlist to have them return to the menu inbetween, not just chapters.
 

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Ed Wallick said:
If you look on page 92 there are four sample menus shown. The upper left one (says Highlight Images under it) shows pretty clear - although all four show the same - down the right hand side of the menu are four small buttons. The top one looks like a house but could be an up arrow. The middle two are left and right end arrows (I guess) and the bottom one is a "Play" arrow which actually I found out plays the whole video (all chapters)
In the book (pg 92) the caption under the upper right menu says, Button Information, but that seems to apply to all buttons, including the chapter buttons.

However, under the play button appears a "99/99" and I can't guess what that is unless a place to put a month and year?

Ed

The house is the universal symbol for return to home menu.

The previous and next arrows are that.

And the play arrow is play all.

The "99/99" is where you put the page numbers for the menu pages, as in:

1/3 (page 1 of 3), 2/3, 3/3.
 

Ed Wallick

New member
Thanks for the reply and the clarification.

I'm sure you all will agree that their (ULead's) tech writer could take some lessons from NewTek! (Please don't burst my balloon and tell me NewTek wrote those instructions since it was included with VT[4]). I wonder if the full version of DVD WS2 has any clearer instructions......

Ed
 

Tom Wood

Amused
ScorpioProd said:
Ah, well, actually, the playlist doesn't need any more chapters in it than the initial one. There is no way in DVD WS 2 to tell it to just play one chapter and then return to the menu. The only way to do that would be to have separate titles in the playlist to have them return to the menu inbetween, not just chapters.

Well, this is very confusing because the button playlist calls chapters - titles. And if I put only one chapter-title in the button playlist, it does stop and return to the menu at the end of that chapter-title. I'm working with a single menu, a single first-play, and a single video 'title' that has four chapters.
 

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Tom Wood said:
Well, this is very confusing because the button playlist calls chapters - titles. And if I put only one chapter-title in the button playlist, it does stop and return to the menu at the end of that chapter-title. I'm working with a single menu, a single first-play, and a single video 'title' that has four chapters.
So, you're saying that if you just put chapter 1 in the playlist, it returns to the menu after that chapter without playing chapters 2,3,4 first?

Chapters being just markers on one encoded video clip, not separate video clips, which would be titles.
 

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Ed Wallick said:
I'm sure you all will agree that their (ULead's) tech writer could take some lessons from NewTek! (Please don't burst my balloon and tell me NewTek wrote those instructions since it was included with VT[4]). I wonder if the full version of DVD WS2 has any clearer instructions......

Ed
Nope, Newtek didn't write that. And nope, DVD WS2 doesn't have better instructions than that.
 

Tom Wood

Amused
ScorpioProd said:
So, you're saying that if you just put chapter 1 in the playlist, it returns to the menu after that chapter without playing chapters 2,3,4 first?

Chapters being just markers on one encoded video clip, not separate video clips, which would be titles.

That's how it's working for me. Look at the button playlist. It plays exactly what's in the list, no more no less, and in the order listed. When it hits the MENU bar it returns to the menu.

EDIT: I've never tried it with the MENU bar removed from the playlist, perhaps with that gone it would keep going, but then it might also go into an endless loop.
 
Last edited:

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Interesting... Weird... I believe you, it's just DVD WS 2 doesn't do it that way for me. I have the default "menu" in the play list after the chapter, also.
 

wvp

Toaster Oven
Gotta agree with Eugene - we don't use WS very much anymore, but when we did the list would have the chapter, followed by menu and I don't recall it stopping at the end.
That said, it seems kinda pointless to have a list if its not going to play things in that order (i.e. chapter 4, followed by the menu).
Perhaps there is a setting that enables this? Curiosity will have me check now :)
 
Top Bottom