DPKit Motion Info node showing no outputs

ASCIISkull

Attempting to use the Motion Info node, I am getting no output. Input spy reads no values from any of Motion Info's outputs except speed(which is a constant -1.#nd). I tried multiple setups, with the object it was applied to parented to the 'driving' null, unparented, etc.

Also, when I choose 'Use Parent' and close the node, when I reopen it I cannot unselect 'Use Parent' or choose anything from the dropdown('control is disabled'). If I select an item from the list and close it, reopening it doesn't allow me to choose 'use parent'.

Is there something I missed?

This is on Win32.

dpont

Motion Info input has more than one output,
the main and (almost) always giving a value
is the "Distance", other like "Position" are
not exactly what you get with the Item Info
node, it needs an input like "Covered Distance".
I can't figure what do you want to achieve
and what are your exact settings and context
or content to reply with more precision.

Denis.

ASCIISkull

Currently, I have an object which is the child of a moving null. Adding the node to the object and choosing the parent as the source for the node, I then plugged each output on the node into input spy and, except for speed giving -1.#nd, all the outputs of the node gave a value of zero or 0.0,0.0,0.0.

dpont

I still don't understand what is your context (node editor),
content (animation of the reference) and what kind of effect
you are trying to do.
Motion Info node has some common utility,
I haven't Spy here but I currently use basic
settings here without problems.

Denis.

ASCIISkull

The node editor I used was the displacement for the child object.
The parent(reference) is just moving via keyframe.

I'm not trying for any particular effect yet, but I was hoping to eventually use the node to drive an MDD displacement. However, plugging the speed output(with the -1.#nd output) into mdd pointer crashes layout.

dpont

Yes, I use it in the Item Motion NE,
but still can't reproduce these issues,
sorry but your description doesn't help
me to investigate and Spy is not the
a way for me to debug.
May be not the appropriate node tool
for your expectation.

Denis

dpont

Ok, I got it,
the last additions in Motion Info node
(speed, velocity..)
broke the update of time and I got
also some specific issues with the
speed calculation.
May be a fix/update later.

Denis.

dpont

I fixed several things in Motion Info node,
could solve undefined output in "Speed",
the win32 version of DPKit has been updated.

Denis.

serge

Denis,

With the latest version of Motion Info I can't get a 'Distance' output. (I only have access to LW discovery edition at the moment, so I can't save any scenefiles.)

Example:
> Animate a Null
> Load an object and open the Displacement Node editor
> Add Motion Info and choose the Null
> When I move the timeline there's no 'Distance' output (all other outputs update correctly).

It's been a while since I used Motion Info, but I'm 100% sure that this used to work in the past, the covered 'Distance' of the null would get updated every frame. Perhaps the update broke something. I don't have the older version here, but it was a version before the creation of this thread.

BTW, I remember this used to work for the Displacement node editor, but not for Node Item Motion.

dpont

> Animate a Null
> Load an object and open the Displacement Node editor
> Add Motion Info and choose the Null
> When I move the timeline there's no 'Distance' output (all other outputs update correctly).

Confirmed and fixed in the win32 version of DPKit.

Denis.

serge

Thanks Denis. 'Distance' works again, but now the other outputs don't seem to work correctly anymore (in Displacement node editor). Sorry.

dpont

I don't know what you are doing in Displacement node editor,
but Motion Info node should have the same behavior than
in Item Motion node editor, I re-uploaded it, other outputs
should work now.

Denis.

serge

Thanks! :)

Do you have any idea why the plugin 'Inputspy' works correctly with Motion Info in the Displacement node editor, but not in Node Item Motion, or the Surface node editor? (I have no specific need, but it might be useful some day.)

dpont

..Do you have any idea why the plugin 'Inputspy' works correctly with Motion Info in the Displacement node editor, but not in Node Item Motion, or the Surface node editor? (I have no specific need, but it might be useful some day.)

As I can see, Input Spy node works with Motion Info node,
but the input is not updated/evaluated at new time,
if you move the time-line cursor,
you can force the evaluation by clicking on a format button,
It seems that InputSpy is coded for a panel preview only.

Denis.

serge

Denis,

I found that Motion Info in the Surface node editor needs a render to get it working.

Steps:
> add a Null and keyframe an animation
> add an object, activate and open Surface node editor, add Motion info: choose Null
> move timeslider: Motion Info doesn't output any values (checked with InputSpy)
> connect Distance to Luminosity (for example)
> move timeslider somewhere and make F9 render: result is wrong. Hit F9 again: result is correct. Now Motion Info updates correctly when moving the timeslider.

dpont

Motion Info needs to identify the mesh object
but the surface node editor returns this info
only while rendering.

Denis.

Top Bottom