Disintergration effect

MonroePoteet

I don't know how Prometheus did the very cool animation posted previously, but here's a technique that might work for some effects:

Final_Render_000.jpg Final_Render_020.jpg

Final_Render_060.jpg Final_Render_120.jpg

Final_Render_181.jpg Final_Render_240.jpg

Final_Render_360.jpgFinal_Render_400.jpg

MOV file: View attachment Disintegration_OvalSphere_4PartsEmitters_small.mov

Sample LW2019 scene attached. It uses the DPKit Part Move and Particle Info nodes, as well as the native LW2019 Mesh Part node. In the sample scene, I used four (4) separate particle emitters to make four different portions of the original geometry (a simple ovoid sphere) disintegrate at different times, rates, patterns, etc.

The basic strategy is to use a node setup similar to the one Prometheus posted previously (although more complex) to make each Part move according to its associated Particle:

01_ParticlePartMove_NodeSetup.jpg

The Particle Emitter is set up on a geometry with the emitter type as Object-Vertices. However, the particles emitted by this type of emitter start with Polygon #1 in the internal polygon list and proceed through the list in order with no capability of determining which order the particles are emitted and which polygon is associated with each specific particle.

To make a disintegration animation with specific portions of the geometry being disintegrated in a desired order, the internal list of polygons needs to be arranged so the particles are emitted in the desired order. I don't know of any tool to re-order polygons in Modeler, so I wrote an LScript (included in the sample scene ZIP file) which re-orders a set of selected polygons into another layer in the order that they were selected. This allows the user to explicitly "draw" the order in which the polygons will leave their original position and follow their associated particle by selecting them in the desired order in Modeler.

The overall steps are:

1. Separate the original geometry into a "FixedPortion" layer and one or more "Parts" layers:
    • In the FixedPortion layer, select the polygons for the next Parts layer in order
    • Run the ReorderSelectedPolygons.ls script to cut-n-paste them to a new layer
  2. Make an Emitter Points layer for each Parts layer
    • In the Parts layer, use double-quote to select all polygons
    • Use Multiply=>Subdivide=>More...=>Make Pole to put a center point in each polygon
    • Press CTRL-C to copy the points
    • Press CTRL-Z to undo the Make Pole
    • Move to a new layer, paste in the points
  3. Make as many Parts and EmitterPoints layers as you want

To make setup in Layout easier, I recommend naming the layers using F7. I used the naming convention of "FixedPortion" for the original geometry layer, and "Parts1", "Parts1_EmitterPoints", etc. for each successive parts layer.

1. In Layout, set up emitters on each Emitter Points layer
  2. Set up the node network on each Parts layer by using Import Nodes with the included Part_Particle_Displacement_WithRotation_DPKit_LW2019.nod
    • Hook the right-most Scale node to the Displacement output
    • Double-click the Particle Info node to select the Emitter for this set of Parts
  3. Add FX Wind, Gravity, Collision objects to affect the particles as desired

In the sample scene ZIP file, I included a Word document containing the specific steps.

The sample ZIP file contains the sample scene & objects, the ReorderSelectedPolygons.ls script, the node network saved as Part_Particle_Displacement_WithRotation_DPKit_LW2019.nod which can be imported in the node editor for each Parts layer Nodal Displacement, and the PartMoveWithParticles.docx document with the steps.

mTp

P.S. Here's another example using the same technique with a free male_head.obj model downloaded from TurboSquid:

View attachment Disintegration_MaleHead_3PartsEmitters_cvt.mov

Attachments

• PartMoveWithParticles_Disintegration.zip
    133.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
I don't know how Prometheus did the very cool animation posted previously, but here's a technique that might work for some effects:

View attachment 144407

I think we both used particles to drive the pieces, but I haven´t even begun with the newer 2018/2019 stuff.

Getting the surfaces pieces to fly away is easy, getting to fly exactly as the particles a bit trickier,as well as getting irregular noise cracked pieces.
But getting more complex stuff such as a full volume breaking apart is at another level, that´s what you want in the end.

daforum

da what?
Do you just make the Emitter the 'Object' and then apply your Node setup to the 'Displacement' of the object?

MonroePoteet

Do you just make the Emitter the 'Object' and then apply your Node setup to the 'Displacement' of the object?

From my previous write-up:

MonroePoteet said:
The Particle Emitter is set up on a geometry with the emitter type as Object-Vertices. However, the particles emitted by this type of emitter start with Polygon #1 in the internal polygon list and proceed through the list in order with no capability of determining which order the particles are emitted and which polygon is associated with each specific particle.

To make a disintegration animation with specific portions of the geometry being disintegrated in a desired order, the internal list of polygons needs to be arranged so the particles are emitted in the desired order. I don't know of any tool to re-order polygons in Modeler, so I wrote an LScript (included in the sample scene ZIP file) which re-orders a set of selected polygons into another layer in the order that they were selected. This allows the user to explicitly "draw" the order in which the polygons will leave their original position and follow their associated particle by selecting them in the desired order in Modeler.

mTp

inakito

I would use Cloth FX to rip the body apart and then probably Turbulence FD in case needs doing within Lightwave....if needing to be 100% native probably Hypervoxels may also do the work stacking layers of volumes :)
Definitely worth a try I guess!

Just updated with an uber five minutes quick test

Cloth_Smoke.jpg

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
And if you're interested in disintegration effects for motion graphics Colorida Motion FX can do something similar.

Colorida Motion FX

Well..you can do a lot with just nodes and dpont part move and particles driving it.

But what you refer to, can that be driven by legacy wind forces or bullet forces, in the end I don´t think fractal motions to drive the parts is enough for best realism and effect, it needs air resistance, gravity when the dust swirls.

I would probably go with blender nowadays and break stuff there, since whatever wind force I use to push away the destructed mesh, it will also affecting smoke fluids emitted from the mesh, that is not possible in Lightwave today, you may get away with workarounds.
Also same with smoke flow, when the wind force is affecting and moving the parts as well as the fluid smoke dust, I can turn it in to smoke flow and add additional particles that flow along accoring to how the fluid smoke velocity goes.

darkChief

I would probably go with blender nowadays and break stuff there...

Well if the only solution is to abandon Lightwave, then I must also recommend Deep FX Studio 😁. Real dynamic fracture is a snap (no pre-fracturing required), and you can choose different conditions for the object to fracture in the compute graph, not just collisions, like velocity for example. It's also fast since it uses Nvidia Blast as the foundation. And you can easily create your own wind forces because velocity is just an attribute you can manipulate directly.

Last edited:
FX studio,
does it use multiple threads for computing Bullet?
LightWave tends to be quite slow using only 1 thread (single core)

prometheus

REBORN
Well if the only solution is to abandon Lightwave, then I must also recommend Deep FX Studio 😁. Real dynamic fracture is a snap (no pre-fracturing required), and you can choose different conditions for the object to fracture in the compute graph, not just collisions, like velocity for example. It's also fast since it uses Nvidia Blast as the foundation. And you can easily create your own wind forces because velocity is just an attribute you can manipulate directly.

Needs to work with a fluid engine as well for smoke and such, and particles, blender does..and an extra bonus that it is all free, though I suppose it may not be able to compete with the speed you have in DeepFX studio.

darkChief

FX studio,
does it use multiple threads for computing Bullet?
LightWave tends to be quite slow using only 1 thread (single core)

Not yet, planning to move to multithreaded once I have implemented more features to avoid untraceable bugs. After that, maybe OpenCl. Also waiting for Physx 5.

blender does..and an extra bonus that it is all free

This may be changing slowly though. i was adding up the cost of all the recommended addons (hard ops, flip fluids, botaniq...) and the cost is going up.

prometheus

REBORN
Not yet, planning to move to multithreaded once I have implemented more features to avoid untraceable bugs. After that, maybe OpenCl. Also waiting for Physx 5.

This may be changing slowly though. i was adding up the cost of all the recommended addons (hard ops, flip fluids, botaniq...) and the cost is going up.

blender by default nativly has fluids both smoke and liquids that if you work it well can do some stuff up to a certain level anyway.
but if you talk about cost, you have to put the whole package in relation to other package, that means the main app, Lightwave VS blender in cost, then tfd vs any other fluid solution for smoke in blender, and Lightwave liquid plugins in relation to blender liquid plugins.

hardops isn´t necessary,, only if you model stuff like that..and it´s like you would also have to add lw cad to lightwave..and if all those are measured up, would blender route be more expensive or Lightwave?

darkChief

hardops isn´t necessary,, only if you model stuff like that..and it´s like you would also have to add lw cad to lightwave..and if all those are measured up, would blender route be more expensive or Lightwave?

That was just my observation, based on numbers from the blender market. Blender by itself is very capable, and I guess the cost isn't the same as Lightwave.

prometheus

REBORN
Hi,
I am not expert of the nodes at the lightwave, So I prefer the simple tools to create disintegration, For example,
or
So that is disintegration tools. So I want to know
how does the object disintegrate down on the ground. So have you any ideas to get different way to create disintegration.

Thanks
well...if you out it that way...then you shouldn't point to a vid that was all nodal..which is the first vid you linked..and it was mine:)

dpont nodal controll with fractal s in various channels..and only per surface polys.

you simply cant get the realism of air resistance and gravity with that..nor the realism in wind turbulence.
you need particles to drive the displacement movement of the pieces.
or just go with the heavy destruction of piece by piece and slow calculations.
a mix could work..where you only truly break large.medium an small pieces wit true fracture and bullet..then for fine pieces push it wit particles.

but the wind forces for particles and bullet are different..and same with fluids for final smoke..thus you have three needed engines that cooperate..rhat is why i said i rather use that since particles...forces..fluids..bullet dynamics..they all work together and apart frim all that you also have particle advection so you extract particle motion velocity vectors from the fluid sim.

prometheus

REBORN
also..download the free scenefile posted by monroepoteet..it drives the parts nodally but retrieves particle data to do so.
its a start.

there are other ways by particle fx linking..saving out various pfx files and reload..even instancing.
but the overall effect needs planning and a multitude of layered mix of fracture pieces and fine debrid to pure smoke dust.

prometheus

REBORN
Some more breakdown, perhaps I have posted it before..but anyway.

Mind you, Alan uses ...
3D max as main host
Thinking particles
Krakatoa
fumefx
Vray

but only thinking particles and krakatoa and fumefx are so much more advanced with features I don´t think you can expect Lightwave to handle, not thinking particles or krakatoa anyway, fumefx..maybe some of it in TFD.

And I think he worked on this extremely devoted with days and day, weeks etc, seemingly around the clock with passion.

So many things to get right, not just a break of pieces and have them blow away in the wind with some turbulence, it has to follow how ash seem to break down and move in the air as well with resistance and weight and rotation.
The destructed pieces starts of with larger chunks, which then continues to break down some miliseconds later with smaller chunks, then again with even smaller chunks and then again etc etc till there´s almost just particle dust where it picks up the fluid smoke attribute, but also a mix of the various layers.

prometheus

REBORN
D..it!
Wheres the edit button for the posts?
forgot, check around 12:45 in the clip for some of the face disintergration coverage.

Top Bottom