Demogorgon

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
Thanks. I did place a small bone between the lower leg and foot but it made no difference - however that may be down to incorrectly positioning it, I have no idea. It is, in a slightly twisted sense, heartening to hear even great artists such as yourself have struggled with IKBooster.

Carm3D

Steam username: Carm3D
Aw shucks. :) Ryan Roye may know the answer. He's quite fond of IKBooster for some reason.

Ryan Roye

Animator
To lock anything in place using IKBooster, you have to fix both the base and the tip of any given limb.

Extremely important to understand, however, that ALL of the constraints that you put in place using IKBooster are only ever in effect while you are manipulating things. It is only a way for you to control things, they will have zero effect on your animation.

The good thing is that this means way less complexity and overhead in your scene, you are free to constrain your objects/bones/etc in any other way that you wish. The bad thing is that things that you might want to stay in place (IE: planting a foot on the ground, or holding a hand on a table), will wobble around due to interpolation.

Using IKBooster alone, your main option for locking limbs/hands down is to bake the range of frames on the fixed item using IKBooster's bake function. This works well in most circumstances, but will present issues in situations where you want free movements of a limb, but you also want that limb to "follow" an object (Example: a character holding a box, the hands need to be anchored to the box, but the hands must be also free to move). Without tools to add/remove full time IK at will, your success with IKBooster will depend much more on your ability as an animator more than your technical ability, and finished animations will require many more keyframes than they would otherwise.

-Ryan Roye

your success with IKBooster will depend much more on your ability as an animator more than your technical ability, and finished animations will require many more keyframes than they would otherwise.
wondering do you still mainly use IKB, or did you switch or combine ? (e.g. using IKB handles only)

yeah, i recall that one. pretty cool / powerful.   

Top Bottom