Core Features

Unidirectional path tracing with multiple importance sampling
Multi-core CPU rendering with SIMD acceleration
GPU rendering with NVIDIA CUDA & AMD OpenCL
Multi-GPU support

Cross Platform

Windows, Linux and Mac OS X
32 and 64 bit

I started testing the Blender Cycles Render.

Looks like i will keep it. Too nice. And i'll probably get eCycles in a bit. ($100)

Cycles is fast, but eCycles is twice as fast and will be integrated into Blender later this year.

Gungho3D

A.K.A "The Silver Fox"

Looks like i will keep it. Too nice. And i'll probably get eCycles in a bit. ($100)

Cycles is fast, but eCycles is twice as fast and will be integrated into Blender later this year.

We've been Octane all the way at work and, for me, at home as well ... but this does look interesting.

So we have a bridge from LW to UE4 (for the purpose of real-time rendering) ... be interesting to see what it would take to cook up a bridging mechanism / workflow specifically for leveraging Cycles for rendering LW (.lws not just .lwo) content.

I might make a LightWave <> Blender Bridge using AHK at a later time.

Will see.
its not written in C, so would be slower. Never the less, would be of use.

Right now for example, there is (unfortunately) nothing like Advanced Placement in Blender.

a One-Click export-import of instances would be very nice.

also looks like RHiggit is faster/better than any current rigging system in Blender.

prometheus

REBORN

E-cycles Intergrated? isn´t it a payed addon currently and still will be?
Haven´t tested it yet, just recently installed and tested free octane for blender which is quite fast I must say, though some of the features like VDB loading (works to import Lightwave gas solver sims as well) was giving up on me when rendering
...Have to check with otoy or Lino what´s up with that.

But sure ..GPU cycles renderer for Lightwave..why not.

prometheus

REBORN

yes/no  by 2020 it will be integrated into Blender for free.

Wonderful..if that is the case, wonder if there´s any catch with that, or if buying in to a more advanced version would give you more power etc..like free octane and the payed one.
So much happening on the blender side of rendering with eevee, cycles,e-cycles and octane...something needs to happen on the Lightwave side..really.
loving realtime volumetrics with eevee, might post samples later on youtube..but I shouldn´t promote that here..and will not really when the time comes.

Wonderful..if that is the case, wonder if there´s any catch with that
no catch, it will probably be renamed to Cycles instead of eCycles.

the blender side of rendering with eevee, cycles,e-cycles and octane...
yeah, my thoughts on those,
- eevee, good but definitely has some lacks (flicker) several limitations, for example, no Gi and reflection issues.
- cycles, quite nice now with 2.80, less good in 2.79
- ecycles, pretty much the same thing, just major speedup
- octane for blender. i like it, but not cool that it is subscription, and that "Major investors include Autodesk". So hard competition, especially now with eCycles.

jwiede

Electron wrangler
I've been Cycles for some time on C4D, and am very impressed with it. Lightwave having access to Cycles as a renderer would definitely be a good thing, esp. now that LW's choices of production-level third-party render engines have become so limited.

It won't happen, but it'd be nice if it did.

Rayek

Today I finally bit the bullet, and got eCycles.

And holy ****, I can't believe the speed-up! Mike Pan's BMW scene takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to render in Blender 2.81 on my GTX1080. ECycles renders it in 40 seconds.

The Barcelona Pavilion outdoor scene takes around 30 minutes (I did not wait for it to finish). Now it takes 8 minutes and 16 seconds. Wot!

The speed upgrade is unbelievable. I could not believe it at first.

The only disadvantage is that this is a rather expensive investment comparable to getting a license of Vray, or Octane.

If you own a RTX card, the render speed increase should be even more pronounced.

prometheus

REBORN
Today I finally bit the bullet, and got eCycles.

And holy ****, I can't believe the speed-up! Mike Pan's BMW scene takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to render in Blender 2.81 on my GTX1080. ECycles renders it in 40 seconds.

The Barcelona Pavilion outdoor scene takes around 30 minutes (I did not wait for it to finish). Now it takes 8 minutes and 16 seconds. Wot!

The speed upgrade is unbelievable. I could not believe it at first.

The only disadvantage is that this is a rather expensive investment comparable to getting a license of Vray, or Octane.

If you own a RTX card, the render speed increase should be even more pronounced.

So...You purchased it? just curious in such case to why..isn´t eCycles supposed to be implemented in future blender versions? and if you say it is that expensive, it will probably not be of interest for me.

Good info though, but how does it handle volumetrics?

- it is cheap
- yes, it is implemented into a future Blender version

so if we get Cycles for LightWave, it should be there (here) too.  

prometheus

REBORN

- it is cheap
- yes, it is implemented into a future Blender version

so if we get Cycles for LightWave, it should be there (here) too.  

I don´t know why, but somehow I get the feeling that cycles for Lightwave will take long time to get ready for Lightwave.

UnCommonGrafx

Wandering about
So...You purchased it? just curious in such case to why..isn´t eCycles supposed to be implemented in future blender versions? and if you say it is that expensive, it will probably not be of interest for me.

Just like cycles only faster.

Rayek

I needed a speedup for my rendering. I thought about updating my ancient 11 year old machine this Christmas, but I have a stable working system now, and in the middle of several jobs and projects, and I have a gut feeling I should wait a month or six for the AMD ThreadRipper CPUs to become more readily available. Vendors are asking ridiculous prices right now due to limited availability. Things need to stabilize more...

eCycles was on sale, so I jumped in. It really is amazing. Same scenes, FAR faster rendering.

Since I don't do a lot of volumetric rendering, feel free to send a link of a test scene of yours to me, and I will render it in official Blender 2.81 and eCycles 2.81 for you to compare.

The RTX version of eCycles is supposed to be even faster, but I can't test that. Purchasing a 2070 or 80 for an old i7 920 system seems a waste ;-)

Anyway, with eCycles it's as if I just got a machine that renders 2 up to 5 times faster. My machine is no longer tied up with longer rendering times anymore, and it allows me to work faster.

prometheus

REBORN
I needed a speedup for my rendering. I thought about updating my ancient 11 year old machine this Christmas, but I have a stable working system now, and in the middle of several jobs and projects, and I have a gut feeling I should wait a month or six for the AMD ThreadRipper CPUs to become more readily available. Vendors are asking ridiculous prices right now due to limited availability. Things need to stabilize more...

eCycles was on sale, so I jumped in. It really is amazing. Same scenes, FAR faster rendering.

Since I don't do a lot of volumetric rendering, feel free to send a link of a test scene of yours to me, and I will render it in official Blender 2.81 and eCycles 2.81 for you to compare.

The RTX version of eCycles is supposed to be even faster, but I can't test that. Purchasing a 2070 or 80 for an old i7 920 system seems a waste ;-)

Anyway, with eCycles it's as if I just got a machine that renders 2 up to 5 times faster. My machine is no longer tied up with longer rendering times anymore, and it allows me to work faster.

Great info, and ok..I understand better why you had the urge to jump in to it know.

As for providing a volumetric sample, maybe..I have to check, mainly it will be VDB cloud cache files..and mainly simulated from blender...but I may have to wait til blender 2.82
Maybe also a tank explosion scene...

UnCommonGrafx

Wandering about
You know, ecycles is on sale right now at half off?
After reading about it, it was worth the gift to me. :)
I don't have the new Octane, still on 4.x. As I have been bandying things back and forth, the speed is astounding on my old Titan.
Hoping to find a tute that gets me an Octane-look: love their atmosphere.
Robert

Top Bottom