Custom rig with Nevron, and other videos

Ryan Roye

Animator
Thanks Ryan. The two circular bind nulls that get attached, is that to make sure the bake spot's Y position is maintained consistently? From what I'm observing from just playing with a simple bones only test, it's seems to be the cause of the stair stepping effect. I'm trying to understand the logic of the rig, so I can adapt it to my own setups..etc..

At some point I must have missed this post. Breakdown:

- The two triangular nulls (footbind left/right) are for hand-keyed motions. All motions using these nulls should always assume the character is moving in only 1 direction. Animations that use these nulls can be steered around freely when prepared and saved correctly. Most often, these are used for any walk/run cycles, climbing things like a ladder, etc.

- The sphere-shaped null called "Jump" is used instead of the triangular footbind nulls when dealing with motion capture and motions that have pre-defined turns. The jump null is necessary to simplify centering it on the character object between uses.

Essentially, using a same as item constraint and holding the nulls in place, then baking the motion... inversely transfers all motion on that null. When a bakespot is then applied, and the motion is saved, the bakespots activate and re-invert the motion, applying it to the character object and yielding additive motion (letting it play from where the character is currently standing).

stevecullum

Lightwave junkie
Thanks for the Breakdown Ryan. After many hours of experimenting, I discovered the source of my problems was a dodgy mocap file. When viewed in an orthographic window, it sloped up hill over time. When I tried with a key framed walk cycle, the issue went away. I'll have to see if I can fix the source file first and then re-test with the advantage of the above information in mind. Cheers!

Top Bottom