Crashing on seemingly random files.

Austin_Taka

so I don't know what information I might need but: I'm using a surface pro 7, and modeler is running incredibly unstable. On I'd say like 60% of my models, it crashes when loading them. I've reinstalled the software like 3 times already, tried multiple restarts and cleared the config files. I don't know what else to try, besides re-installing the OS which I really don't want to do. I'm using lightwave 2019.1.5

Kryslin

Is this a clean install of LW, with no plugins? Or do you have a boatload of 3rd party plugins?

What is your anti-virus? Some AV software and Lightwave are known to not play well together.

Can you post an example of what's crashing, so people can examine it, and come up with further ideas on what to try?

Austin_Taka

I'm using the built in av, and yes we've got a fully clean lw installed. I just re installed windows, and its still a problem. I had my mate try it out on their computer (same version) and they loaded it just fine

Bill Carey

there is no sanctuary....
That's strange. You have task manager open to check if anything is sucking up ram etc? Tried turning off the hub before loading it?

Kryslin

I would also find a RAM check program and run it to see if any ram on your system is going bad, too.

Also, Graphics Drivers.

Last edited:

raymondtrace

Founding member
LightWave's requirements include the Nvidia or ATI GPU. The Surface uses Intel GPU. That is the most likely issue.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
I don't know what else to try, besides re-installing the OS which I really don't want to do.

Use 2nd spare SSD disk (120 GB costs ~20 usd) and install fresh OS on it to see whether issue will be on it too..

You can also try installing fresh OS on Virtual Box.

so I don't know what information I might need but: I'm using a surface pro 7, and modeler is running incredibly unstable. On I'd say like 60% of my models, it crashes when loading them. I've reinstalled the software like 3 times already, tried multiple restarts and cleared the config files. I don't know what else to try, besides re-installing the OS which I really don't want to do. I'm using lightwave 2019.1.5

The same file causes crash in Modeler, Layout or both?

What if you make fresh new object?
Does it start crashing after a while?

It is nothing unusual that application is crashing if file is TRULY damaged i.e. some issue during writing file.
To verify it, attach here object(s) which always crash on your machine.

Austin_Taka

So I do believe it is likely due to the gpu and some glitch, because my mate saved the file with a new name and it opened first try, and I modeled all the visemes I needed. I opened tons of other models and none other had the issues besides older versions of this model with the incremental save method. I noticed, occasionally with the crashing, the gpu load would shoot to 100% in the 3D for just a moment.

again this was only in modeler, after a complete reinstall of the os (I didn’t have very much on there anyway) and it still crashed on model load for this particular model and versions of it.

the only other thing I could consider is that I used a powerful and important plugin in the computer I used to make the initial model in and I didn’t have that same plugin, or maybe a slightly different version.

if you’re having a similar problem, save the model as a new file name on a different computer, it might work like it did for me.

Top Bottom