Computer freezes

This images renders fine. When I change to another camera view when the rendering gets to the fingers of the extended arm my computer locks up. There is some very intensive CPU demand for all the SSS, roughness, luminosity, etc. Has anyone else had these issues. I have reduces much of the setting but do not want to go to low with them for the quality reasons. Lightwave 2020.0.2(that could be the problem)
Link:
https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/032/088/753/large/paul-tremonti-drone-magi-closeup.jpg?1605453303"]https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/032/088/753/large/paul-tremonti-drone-magi-closeup.jpg?1605453303

Also if you have the time I still don't know how to create one click link...stupid is that stupid does they say...figured it out.

...after when you upload I see it does not let you know it did, my bad, didn't they say it was needed in triplicate.

Attachments

• Drone_Magi_closeup.png
    Drone_Magi_closeup.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
  • Drone_Magi_closeup.jpg
    Drone_Magi_closeup.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 102
  • Drone_Magi_closeup.jpg
    Drone_Magi_closeup.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

RPSchmidt

This images renders fine. When I change to another camera view when the rendering gets to the fingers of the extended arm my computer locks up. There is some very intensive CPU demand for all the SSS, roughness, luminosity, etc. Has anyone else had these issues. I have reduces much of the setting but do not want to go to low with them for the quality reasons. Lightwave 2020.0.2(that could be the problem)
Link:
https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/032/088/753/large/paul-tremonti-drone-magi-closeup.jpg?1605453303"]https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/032/088/753/large/paul-tremonti-drone-magi-closeup.jpg?1605453303

Also if you have the time I still don't know how to create one click link...stupid is that stupid does they say...figured it out.

...after when you upload I see it does not let you know it did, my bad, didn't they say it was needed in triplicate.

I guess first, to get an idea of what the problem might be, what OS / CPU are you working with?

Then I would check one of the usual suspects; do you have any loose geometry, perhaps some 2 point polys that may be increasing the load with the settings you are using? I would check the Statistics panel in polygon mode and see if you have some geometry issues that may need to be cleaned up.

That might help narrow it down.

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
... I'd suggest posting a screen capt of your Render Settings Render and G.I Tabs as well.

These are the setting. It doesn't freeze when rendered from my other camera(sorry didn't put that in the original post. Windows 7 Ultimate with a radeon w7100 and I have checked for geometry issues. I have an old computer(12 years old, can't afford a new one, I'm a poor retierd boy, It's a dual Xeon with 8 cores at 3.2 Ghz and 32 Gigs of RAM. Render_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

Ma3rk

Curmudgeon in Training
Only thing I can see is that you might test is to up your Min/Max pixel spacing. Try something like 5/50 or 8/80 & see if it gets through that. If so then back them down incrementally.

And yes, 2020.x is quite likely a suspect. I had to stop even trying with it so 2019.1.5 what I use.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
1) "Computer freeze"/"my computer locks up"
or
2) "LightWave freeze" (and you still can move mouse, open Task Manager, kill processes etc. ) ?

The last time I had such problems as in 1) it turned out to be damaged PSU, which was giving too low voltage.
After too heavy computation, it was giving even less than 2.9 V to the CPU (when normal is 3.3 V).
There is tool HWMonitor
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
which will let you to see what voltage is supplied to the CPU.
Have it open during rendering in LW, and observe its values.

Sensei

TrueArt Support
These are the setting. It doesn't freeze when rendered from my other camera(sorry didn't put that in the original post. Windows 7 Ultimate with a radeon w7100 and I have checked for geometry issues. I have an old computer(12 years old, can't afford a new one, I'm a poor retierd boy, It's a dual Xeon with 8 cores at 3.2 Ghz and 32 Gigs of RAM.

Search for a shop which sells computers and laptops refurbished post-leasing. They sell things which rich companies did not want.
I bought 5 years old laptop for 12% of original price of that laptop.
Which is faster than my desktop with Core i7..
and faster than any brand new cheap laptop.

gerry_g

I've done SSS with sixty-four samples and higher in 20.0.2 so I doubt its that, then again I use Monte Carlo, never use the Interpolated because it tends to lead to the kind of problems you seem to be experiencing, which in turn seem to take forever to figure out

RPSchmidt

These are the setting. It doesn't freeze when rendered from my other camera(sorry didn't put that in the original post. Windows 7 Ultimate with a radeon w7100 and I have checked for geometry issues. I have an old computer(12 years old, can't afford a new one, I'm a poor retierd boy, It's a dual Xeon with 8 cores at 3.2 Ghz and 32 Gigs of RAM. View attachment 149208

Have you considered using Brute Force as your primary GI, and Irradiance Cache as your secondary, rather than having both as Irradiance Cache?

If you do, then you may be able to further reduce your the rays in your Irradiance cache secondary.

Also, if I am reading this correctly, you are only getting the issue when rendering from one camera and not when rendering from a second camera?

If that is the case, compare the camera settings or delete the problematic camera and create a new one.

And I also agree with Sensei that it may be time to purchase a new computer. Many computer retailers have payment plans that should be affordable, even on a fixed income. The Asus ProArt PA90 can be as cheap as $88 a month if you get it with Amazon, and it is a pretty full-featured little system.

Thanks for all the input. To let you know; I built my computer and it is running 5x5. With all your input I have found the only thing that is different is the camera. The other two cameras render just fine with the settings. I cloned the camera, so I will see if that was the problem. Lightwave has its gremlins...(i.e. I have loaded a scene to have Lightwave crash every time. So I sue 'load from scene' and all is well.) There is always a way. Thanks again for your brain work.... Good rendering John Glen(sorry, I can't at the moment remember a name from the original creators of NewTek).

Top Bottom