Clouds - NPR style

Rebelle 5 example

Rebelle 5b.gif

i dont think Artrage can blend it like that.
not that heavy.
and Krita even less so ?

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Thanks for the compare, half way through, he was comparing that he couldn´t get the vibrant color he got in procreate, but I think that´s easy to adjust in the water color settings, by default it has no saturation so just by enabling that you can get more vibrant color in the water colors, but then there is the color bleed mix etc..so I have to study that more carefully before judging appropiately.

But..if you learn verve, the watercolor dynamics is something else compared to Krita, krita has some nice style with sharp edges or soft edges on the watercolor where the color pigment expands out and dries as opposed to the center of the applied color, but it doesn´t react in fluidity to neighbour colors as in verve.
You can set fluidity speed ..sharpness, drying etc, and choose some various brushes, the problem I have with that version of verve, I need to save brushes (maybe it´s possible) and the UI.

prometheus

REBORN
Rebelle 5 example

View attachment 153294

i dont think Artrage can blend it like that.
not that heavy.
and Krita even less so ?

As I just posted in post above, only verve comes close to that with realtime fluid dynamics, I guess Rebelle 5 has an upperhand on actually simulating bleed more advanced than verve though.
Krita has no fluid dynamic, just appliying colors and the look in a good way that resembles water color, but for simulating the full media of liquid water, no such dynamics.
I don´t think ArtRage has it either.

As I just posted in post above, only verve comes close to that with realtime fluid dynamics, I guess Rebelle 5 has an upperhand on actually simulating bleed more advanced than verve though.
Krita has no fluid dynamic, just applying colors and the look in a good way that resembles water color, but for simulating the full media of liquid water, no such dynamics.
I don´t think ArtRage has it either.
Yep.

so, once again, no app has it all.
beer-cheers.gif

and, yep, agree to what you say here.

i think Rebelle does a Beautiful job here, with the free Taron Verve as a likewise Great option.
iow, sometimes Rebelle / sometimes Verve.

and not to forget ,.... the all mighty EmberGen.

prometheus

REBORN
Yep.

so, once again, no app has it all. View attachment 153295

and, yep, agree to what you say here.

i think Rebelle does a Beautiful job here, with the free Taron Verve as a likewise Great option.
iow, sometimes Rebelle / sometimes Verve.

and not to forget ,.... the all mighty EmberGen.
Yeah,

I forgot that it actually is Peter Blascovich doing Rebelle, so no wonder.
he also has a similar fluid painter online to try, that is closer to verve, or vervette, though you can paint in fuller browser in vervette..
That fluid painter is experimental and not in his productline I believe...
Fluid Painter | Peter Blaskovic | Escape Motions

and more...
Experiments | Peter Blaskovic | Escape Motions
experiments escape motions.jpg

As for embergen, yeah..we will see about that, I have to work with setting up 2D fluids, as low domain as possible in one axis, and do gas simulations to use when mapping textures as with verve painted maps before, but with embergen it will be animated of course.

Embergen projects upcoming, may beto get proper camera matching working and exporting animated image renders, compiling in fusion or after effects, add lightining effects behind these layers for an appearance of planet clouds and similar.

Another quick sample right now, just easing up on fluid movement, you can tweak this a lot, the problem I do not have time to do it to watercolor perfection...not when I can´t save the possibly reached perfect state for water colors out as a preset either.

prometheus

REBORN
But yeah, tested Rebelle online a bit, the true to water color behavior in there is by far more accurate, more effort put in to that than just a fluid painting software.
I don´t even think verve has gravity in account there for the paint to drop according to real life physics.

prometheus

REBORN
The blending transition is just great though in verve, you can choose with the weird blending modes to either blend with color fluid bleed, or straight smooth blend so the colors blend smoothly without color fluid interaction.

verve2.jpg

prometheus

REBORN
oh no, they aren't accurate, that's for sure.

that's years away.
Can´t see myself picking up painting with watercolor for real though, wasn´t that fond of that media when what you paint is unalterable, you had to pick exact amount of water and pigment, right brushstrokes etc.

Oil and acrylic was more my think, allows for blending techniques as well that you can´t do with water color, but Oil color I had to give up, it smells too much with everything from the oil color, terpentine, cold pressed oils to mix etc.
Acrylic a bit easier though.

So these digital tools are exciting, the problem comes when to print it, and the cost of that..and to choose what to print, with digital media you can create endless amount of paintings..only limited by your imagination and skills, and the time you have left to do it :)

can't recall how, but the Alien planet used some kind of dynamic paint i believe. don't think it was aquarell tho'

ah, here we go >
An example of texture for the planets: This came from a trick I learned at art college, a tray of white spirit and pour in some aluminium paint, light with a lamp either side and convection currents will start to produce globules in a cellular form as detailed as the lens will resolve. The paint or spirit can be coloured with powder pigment and with a little patience it's possible to roll off a lot of surfaces. These transparencies can then be projected onto a white painted sphere. I still have 30 trannies of the original surface textures but most of them weren't used. A Hasselblad was used to take these shots.

Planet suface used in Alien.jpg

prometheus

REBORN
can't recall how, but the Alien planet used some kind of dynamic paint i believe. don't think it was aquarell tho'

Hmm..
Are you sure that was for the Alien 1?
I know an artist did a very detailed painting for the Alien 3 planet that hosted the convicts.
Have to eat now, and try a bit more verve, just learning about using the layers and some other stuff, the UI is however..horrible.

They may have used special oils to get certain characteristics, things one can experiment by yourself.
When I was a kid..I used to draw fluid paintings in the morning coffe with milk cream, and swirl it around, until I consumed the artwork with joy:)

prometheus

REBORN

ah, here we go >

View attachment 153298
Great, then I was wrong.
Great site there..have to watch later.
That stuff there is still holding up to some degree.

And by the way, that space scene is still yielding that empty, enourmous and vast space feel, that many modern movies aren´t acheiving, it´s strange.
Funny you posted alien scenes today, was thinking alot about it and Aliens yesterday.

Last edited:
That stuff there is still holding up to some degree.
Totally !

And by the way, that space scene is still yielding that empty, enormous and vast space feel, that many modern movies aren´t achieving, it´s strange.
same here, the music score is excellent, and is part of the reason. +SFX

prometheus

REBORN
Totally !

same here, the music score is excellent, and is part of the reason. +SFX
Yeah..it is haunting as hell, the most haunting thing I have heard, same with the distress call, not sure how many other guys were involved with the sound fX.
And to think Jerry Goldsmith was not that fond of it either, he wanted a more epic soundtrack to it all, the soundtrack that made it he said he did within a very short time, and I also think there´s pieces in there that isn´t his.

Ehumm...various variations, these two isn´t the same...

Checking embergen Gas planet, it´s very well done, apart from that colors could be more vibrant I think, you have to go in and edit each emitters emission color for the variation per gas/banding so to speak, that scene is however a bit slow to simulate as well.
May try and export it and see how it all comes through, may be tough to recolor though.

I just Learned to make a hurricane in embergen today anyway, but now ..classic meatballs, and a few hours of resting only.

Last edited:

Different buffers or surface mapping can be used to tweak the look in LightWave
or later be used in post.
a subject of its own, but some hints >

buffer.png

passes.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom