Chris Jones Humans again..skin wrinkle experiments.

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
Yep amazing, wish I could be that good :) I wonder if this was done with LW? God knows what he's eating to make that noise though!!

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
No..you don´t have to wonder, it says in the youtube description what he used, and also a link to a detailed description on how he worked with the tension maps etc, and he doesn´t use lightwave anymore as I understand it, not for this kind of stuff anyway.

Yeah..he has a great taste of sound effects mixed with motion, though a bit scary.

I think I see some flickering noise in the micropores though.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
At the rate you're progressing, it won't be long.

Just set aside 8 years or so :D...
and probably even more years before that to showcase his initial tests, if you take a look at what chris first delivered in his first post about his Human Projects, and it´s still on going.
The advantage may be that most of us can tap in to his progressing workflows, but it would still require your own hard work and talent to get in the vicinity of that level of artistry.

Posted Sep 17, 2013...

yep,
pretty much the same result as in LightWave. I checked and saw he had painted slightly nicer wrinkle maps for the Blender one, otherwise basically similar. Actually the LightWave version has an advantage, using a Tension node, something B doesn't have yet. (a proper working one that is)
That's why he currently went another way about it in that App.
Did look into this a few days ago, and he did share the LW nodes, (see link above) fairly easy to set up in LightWave.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
yep,
pretty much the same result as in LightWave. I checked and saw he had painted slightly nicer wrinkle maps for the Blender one, otherwise basically similar. Actually the LightWave version has an advantage, using a Tension node, something B doesn't have yet. (a proper working one that is)
Did look into this a few days ago, and he did share the LW nodes, (see link above) fairly easy to set up in LightWave.
Yeah..I think I read something about that as well, but there you go, you can´t expect to have everything translate over to another software with excellence, som things will be missed ..as this may have been for him.

wingzeta

yep,

Nice. It can be done in LW if you are extremely good. Too bad they didn't support the product or fund adequate development to add and retain more of these "power users" who can light the way for the average user. The software is long in the tooth right now, but has a lot of great things going for it. It just needed some more substantial updates and marketing, and we wouldn't have users like this dropping like flies. Hopefully they sell it to a SOFTWARE DEVELOPER!!!

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Can´t recall exactly why Chris Changed focus to the other software rather than continue with lightwave, long standing render issues, or rigging issues..or just seeing the potentional with other software, or perhaps tired of waiting for uncertain development etc.
Both Chris Jones and Lino Grandi opted for that route, and both are doing a lot of rigging, and are good riggers.

Nice. It can be done in LW if you are extremely good. T
nope, it is actually easier to do it in LightWave than in Blender.  ;)

wingzeta

nope, it is actually easier to do it in LightWave than in Blender.  ;)

Most things are easier in LW as far as I am concerned, my point was that a lot of this type of thing comes down to having highly skilled users in the community to lead the way on this kind of thing. The fewer of these guys there are using a particular app, the fewer chances it has to be shown in it's best light. That means less chance for positive impressions on potential new users, and less inspiration and tutorials for current users. It all adds up to decreased market share and sales to fund further development.

So the idea is "Look, LW is extremely capable in the right hands, and that was with almost no "road map" for development, marketing, or investment. What if LW were developed by a serious entity that wanted to make it the best, like the folks at C4D seem to want for their product?" Disclaimer: this is no reflection on the LW developers who did great work with limited resources.

well, your first reply implied no such thing.
sure, there are times when tings vary.
in this case, things are straight forward.

tony6

Lightwave Salvation
Chris Jones is such a great 3D Artist, I do find it sad that he has stopped using Lightwave.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Most things are easier in LW as far as I am concerned, my point was that a lot of this type of thing comes down to having highly skilled users in the community to lead the way on this kind of thing. The fewer of these guys there are using a particular app, the fewer chances it has to be shown in it's best light. That means less chance for positive impressions on potential new users, and less inspiration and tutorials for current users. It all adds up to decreased market share and sales to fund further development.

So the idea is "Look, LW is extremely capable in the right hands, and that was with almost no "road map" for development, marketing, or investment. What if LW were developed by a serious entity that wanted to make it the best, like the folks at C4D seem to want for their product?" Disclaimer: this is no reflection on the LW developers who did great work with limited resources.

Highly individual and what taks is at hand.
Sculpting in lightwave isn´t easier in Lightwave, weight paint isn´t easier, particles emitting or fluids emitting from weightmap isn´t easier, drawing curves directly on to a surface isn´t easier, just impossible in Lightwave, doing redirectional cuts on a surface is impossible in Lightwave, just straight cuts, while you in blender just click and change direction of the point to create re-directional cuts.

There are a lot I could say for the benefit of Lightwave, but I wouldn´t say that most things are done easier in Lightwave..As far as I am concerned..and that to be an extension to a general, no..most things aren´t easier in any software between these two.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
Chris Jones is such a great 3D Artist, I do find it sad that he has stopped using Lightwave.

if it works for him, why not..I´ll bet he saves money on that choice, as well as opening up to sell his assets to a much larger customer base within the blender community than he may have for lightwave.

wingzeta

Highly individual and what taks is at hand.
Sculpting in lightwave isn´t easier in Lightwave, weight paint isn´t easier, particles emitting or fluids emitting from weightmap isn´t easier, drawing curves directly on to a surface isn´t easier, just impossible in Lightwave, doing redirectional cuts on a surface is impossible in Lightwave, just straight cuts, while you in blender just click and change direction of the point to create re-directional cuts.

There are a lot I could say for the benefit of Lightwave, but I wouldn´t say that most things are done easier in Lightwave..As far as I am concerned..and that to be an extension to a general, no..most things aren´t easier in any software between these two.
Just my opinion, but I think you will agree, is that LW is easy to use and set things up. Where it falls down, are in the things you are talking about, which are missing features that should have been added by now, and under the hood horsepower, which also should have been addressed by now. We have been patient for years, because we had hoped these things were being worked on, even if slowly, because it was a lean crew. Now it seems that slow development is no development. I still think the interface, framework and many of the workflows of LW are better than other programs. The problem is when the complexity of the task or simulation outruns the old architecture and tools. If only one of the efforts to overhaul it had succeeded, it would be the best app for a 3D generalist without a doubt.

Consider, if the architecture was as it should be, adding tools, like the ones you mention would be an obvious task. Adding something like Mograph, would be an obvious thing to do. Adding a decent sculpting tool would be obvious. Maybe if LW had been modernized by now, it would have been possible. The way you set up things in LW is fast and easy compared to most other apps. Not in every case, but quite often it is more straight forward, but if when you hit Calculate, Play, Render, or VPR and nothing happens for ages it doesn't mean much that the set up is fast. However, imagine if it did do the calculation as quickly as the other apps. Imagine if it did have the tools you wanted. Would you use LW or Blender? I bet Chris Jones would be back in a heart beat if LW's tech was up to date. That is to say the philosopy of LW's design is superior, but the state of the tech is fallen behind the competition, and the gap grows every day. The design philosopjhy is still correct though. If an app had that philosophy and current tech, that would be the app I would want to use.

LW is like Cinderella. She's stuck being abused and starved by a muggle stepmother. Her true parents ran off to make Modo. She's been abandoned. Her only hope is to find a suitor that can see her hidden beauty and rescue her. Someone with deep pockets and noble intent. For now she's just wearing rags and singing to the mice. If she's not rescued before she loses her looks, she just might end up a dusty old spinster like Eleanor Rigby.

prometheus

OFF TOPIC
. Imagine if it did have the tools you wanted. Would you use LW or Blender? I bet Chris Jones would be back in a heart beat if LW's tech was up to date.

I´ts not just about the tools, Ivé said it before..Blender is an organisational/structural mess in many cases/places..and for that reason there are many areas I still prefer to work the way I do with Lightwave, mostly where tools are and how to access them, where panels pop up or are placed.

As for tools I pick weight map paint feature in blender any time of the day in blender and hair grooming, sculpting as a small example, but working with copy and paste materials select from surface vpr, and fractals...Lightwave any time of the day.

So the tools alone wouldn´t be enough for me to be satisfied, but getting satisfied Vs finally letting go of working with lightwave is a different matter, I don´t think anyones gonna be 100% satisified thinking blender has it all covered.

Lightwave feels like a movie stage where blender feels like a 3D tool place to do your stuff, I prefer surfacing in general with lightwave, thouhgh the workflow has bone a bit sour with the lacking of direct texture layers, and changed volumetric philosophy.
there are much more but won´t go in to that now.

As for Chris Jones, maybe..only he knews if he still have that sense of it was more pleasing to work with Lightwave as platform, had it been better in rigging and rendering, weight mapping, fluids etc..or what else, it´s kind of a waste of time to speculate in that..All that matters for those who want´s to continue to work or engage in Lightwave is wether or not Vizrt will continue to develop it? and if so..they need to get even better coders and managers than they have had before.

Top Bottom