Cel Animation

softdistortion

WOW!
I've done a fair bit of cellshade, but never came round to a good, none retouched smoke /water solution.

With a few tweaks your setting looks like it would work for water splashes really well too.

Nice Work Chris

Hopper

Fórum áss clówn
Oh, now THAT has a cool factor of 10!

I think realistic smoke and explosions would be an excellent thing to learn, but cell shading might be more my speed if it's more forgiving as far as the technical aspects of detailed (realistic) texturing are concerned. This is a guess of course.

CMT

ZBrusher!
I worked a bit on the warlock's staff over lunch. I did a little modeling on the warlock himself last night, but it's very rough. I'll try to post the progress on him tonight.

Hopper, the cell smoke is a bit easier to deal with definitely. And it renders super fast. I think that animation above took about a minute and a half to render at that resolution. No AA or anything.

Attachments

• Staff.jpg
    Staff.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:

rakker16mm

Post-apocalyptic
I worked a bit on the warlock's staff over lunch. I did a little modeling on the warlock himself last night, but it's very rough. I'll try to post the progress on him tonight.

Hopper, the cell smoke is a bit easier to deal with definitely. And it renders super fast. I think that animation above took about a minute and a half to render at that resolution. No AA or anything.

Looking forward to seeing the Warlock. The smoke reminds me a bit of Katsuhiro Ôtomo's AKIRA and also Steamboy. It's really great. I hope you will share some of your settings.

CMT

ZBrusher!
Yeah I actually bought the movie Steamboy and watched it several times for reference. Great movie! Been a long time since I've seen Akira though.

Here's the rough model of the warlock. I just yanked a head from an old model of mine for placement. I'll work on getting his facial structure more interesting. Didn't get to the lower half or arms yet.

I'll be doing a short cape for him, but I think for the lower half I'll stick with some sort of puffy trousers to limit the amount of dynamics I'll need to do.

Not sure about that helm yet either.....

Attachments

• Wiz1.jpg
    Wiz1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

CMT

ZBrusher!
Model update. Trying some colors as well.

I liked the the way the ninja boots looked cel shaded, so I modeled something similar and added some ties which might look good with some dynamics when animated. I'll add some baggy wizard pants for him. :)

Attachments

• Wiz2.jpg
    Wiz2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 328
  • WizBoots.jpg
    WizBoots.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 289

CMT

ZBrusher!
Thanks all! Happy 4th to all those who celebrate it!

hrgiger, yeah, that's the plan... LOL! I've never tried character animation on this level before, so this will be quite a learning experience for me.

Here's some color variations. I'm trying to get a feel for the character and think about what the environment should be like. I still need to work on the shape of his face to give it more "character".

And at some point I'll need to paint some bump maps to make it a little less clean. I think he's a bit too sterile at the moment.

Attachments

• WizColor1.jpg
    WizColor1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 321
  • WizColor2.jpg
    WizColor2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 322
  • WizColor3.jpg
    WizColor3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 317

CMT

ZBrusher!
Just about finished with the overall form. I liked the arm and leg wraps from the ninjas so I borrowed that idea and made my own wraps for this guy. Still working on coloring. I may add some ribbons to his wrist as well to add more visual movement to the scene when he waves his arms around. Still not totally keen on the helm.

For some reason he seems too small in stature. Anyone else see that? I may lengthen his legs a bit and see if that helps. I'm doing away with the staff. I want both his hands free for casting some type of spell.

Attachments

• WizColor4.jpg
    WizColor4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 394
  • WizColor5.jpg
    WizColor5.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 377
  • WizColor6.jpg
    WizColor6.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 377

Hopper

Fórum áss clówn
His torso looks to be a little on the short side, but I really didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Looking great - keep it up!

novawave

cool chara....
amazing technique i think its an anime at first!!!:thumbsup: the smoke anim really great...reminds me of Hoshi no Koe (but Mr CMT smoke looks more stylish :bowdown:)
wonder.....Mr.CMT what kind of :2guns: weapon you'll give him???:D

hrgiger

I'm my Clone
I'm just going to be amazed that you can animate him with all those accessories. It looks like a headache to me.
As far as the proportions, I think they look ok. The torso might be a little short but I don't think I would have noticed it had you not mentioned it. Honestly what struck me was looking at the back shot you showed, It almost looks like someone who put their clothes on backwards. I was thinking maybe there's not enough exaggeration between the shoulders and midsection (other then the clothing) as well as not enough curvature of the spine and legs. Like he's almost straight up and down? Anyone else think that? Especially considering it is going for an anime style. Dont' get me wrong, it looks very good, I'm just thinking it could make a more powerful silhouette with more exaggeration. I don't mean more muscular because I know this is a warlock and not a brick but even skinny characters are usually built with some exaggeration of form.
If you don't get what I'm saying, look at my poor illustration below. Excuse the childlike execution, I don't have a wacom or anything, it's mouse drawing...

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 330

bobakabob

Robert Ireland
Nice work CMT... great concept and costume design. Definitely needs to be taller in stature though... exaggerating the length of limbs is a classic convention in comic book art.

Iain

\\ is sparkling //
Cool. I love the colours and shading.

Reminds me of Battle of the Planets (showing my age there!)

CMT

ZBrusher!
Battle of the Planets, eh? LOL! He does kind of look a bit futuristic, doesn't he?

I was a huge Star Blazers fan myself which came out a couple years after that. That was my first experience viewing animé.

Anyway, here's a magical Sigil/Ward or whatever he will be conjuring up at some point. Took lunch at work yesterday to whip this up.

Attachments

• Sigil.mov
    3.2 MB · Views: 612

sammael

Nice wip CMT it is all coming along nicely so far. The Sigil/Ward thing is cool, is there a way to make it a bit less sharp? just thinking it would be cool if it was kinda warping/shimmering perhaps on an animated plane witih maybe some random transparency moving across it or something, like an animated procedural on the alpha. Less solid you know?

I like the shader you have come up with this and the more purple colour scheme is the pick of the bunch imo.

Top Bottom