Cel Animation

CMT

ZBrusher!
I'll try to find some time to work on something as well. I won't be able to put much detail in this project due to time constraints so I'll forgo most of the texture mapping and go with cel shading.

This is the ninja model from the content CD and not my own. I have to figure out what type of animation I want to do then start modeling something. But in the meantime, I made a few cell shading tests. This is straight Lightwave, no BESM or Supercel shader. I've been playing around with the diffuse sharpeness values and I like the result. I may end up hand painting a few backgrounds in Photoshop to speed things up a bit since time is scare right now.

Here's to hoping actually finish this... :)

Attachments

• NinjaTest.jpg
    NinjaTest.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 822
Last edited:

CMT

ZBrusher!
Here's a quick test of the shader with a changing light angle.

Attachments

• NinjaCel1.gif
    NinjaCel1.gif
    188 KB · Views: 705

hrgiger

I'm my Clone
Not be a fan of anime, I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about but the shading looks great. Could be very dramatic.

SplineGod

Part of it depends on whether or not you want the result to be true to the final output achieved using hand drawn cels or simply a flat shaded 'cartoon' look you get from a cel shader.

A model needs to be designed to take advantate of cel shading as well as inklines. LW edges work in a very particular way and this needs to be taken into account when trying to get good ink lines.
I constantly see models that have the celshader thrown on and it doesnt look quite right. I also think that studying how cel shading is done using a traditional approach will help.

Eugeny

I'm agree with Larry , not any model will look right in cell shade, so it's better to start modeling and play with cell shader , some times u need to crease some areas in order to get good looking edge inks or color zones and some tomes it's need to be flattened.

CMT

ZBrusher!
I see what you're saying Larry and I'll definitely keep that in mind. I see a lot of cel shaded models that all look the same as well. They assign the zones, place the lights and hit "render" and leave it at that. Some models look good, some don't. But the shading is usually pretty basic.

I think though that I'm not just trying to mimic the hand drawn cel look, but rather just trying to get something that looks cool, stylistic and polished. :) So whatever I find that Lightwave can do to add to making it look better, I'll do it.

If I find that it means it doesn't look quite like traditional cel animation, that's fine. I'm not looking for this to be a flat cartoon. I'm hoping that I can bring a bit of depth to the look.

Thanks for the tips!

CMT

ZBrusher!
This is one of the first tests I did which doesn't have the extra highlight in the shader. Looking at it again, I think it may look better and more graphic. But, I thought I'd get some opinions....

Attachments

• ninjatest.jpg
    ninjatest.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 695

cresshead

cat servant
yeh reduced number of shaded 'areas' will give a more natural look to it..the image above looks the best so far.

to control where they get put you can use poly smoothing..where your model may look abit weird in the viewport but will render looking 'cel shaded'.

jasonwestmas

Adapting Artist
The shapes could be more simple I think,but if you model right that shader will be great!! I hope you share the settings. :D

Kevbarnes

This is one of the first tests I did which doesn't have the extra highlight in the shader. Looking at it again, I think it may look better and more graphic. But, I thought I'd get some opinions....

Hi CMT - Where are you getting the outlines from ? are they Edge rendered in LW or are from your diffuse settings.

CMT

ZBrusher!
Thanks guys. But all these test renders are irrelevant unless I come up with a decent idea. Still working on that though...

Hi CMT - Where are you getting the outlines from ? are they Edge rendered in LW or are from your diffuse settings.

They are a combination of using the Edges section in the Object Properties panel and gradients with incidence angle in the color channel. This was done in the normal surface editor, but I'm going to see if I can get a little more control with the nodes editor.

richdj

They are a combination of using the Edges section in the Object Properties panel and gradients with incidence angle in the color channel. This was done in the normal surface editor, but I'm going to see if I can get a little more control with the nodes editor.

Christopher, I'm sure you don't need telling.. But William did a Cell Shade Node tute in his 24 hours of tutes. Link in my sig..

Rich

CMT

ZBrusher!
Thanks Rich, I remember seeing that a while back and I did use a couple of the pointers he gave from that.

I think I have a rough idea of what I want to do now for an animation. Something involving a warlock. I need to flesh out his design (is he mean, old, or cute), then I'll start modeling.

In the meantime, I made this rough particles test at work during lunch today. This is the first test of a cel smoke effect I'm going for. But I'm trying to figure out why the particles jitter right before they disappear. Anyone got any ideas?

Here's the link to the animation.
Smoke Animation.

Hopper

Fórum áss clówn
That's an incredible render. Very unique look with the shadows and soft lighting. :thumbsup: A few setup hints of what you've done so far (settings that is) would be well appreciated.

CMT

ZBrusher!
Thanks, Hopper. I'll be posting my shader settings when I get it to a point where I think it's as good as I can get it.

When I got home I worked on the jitter problem (or jitter bug.. hehe... ahem...). It seems that when the particles are motionless for several frames after they already moved, they re-orient themselves. To what, I don't know.

Anyway, the solution was to add another wind effector to move them slightly so they never stop moving. So here's what it looks like now. I think it's good enough for this project. I'll incorporate this or something like it into some sort of spell casting of the warlock.

Attachments

• Smoke.gif
    Smoke.gif
    932.3 KB · Views: 509
Top Bottom