Cannot Find Patchable Version

mikkowilson

Techie
We payed thousands for Video Toaster. We shouldn't have to use a 3rd parting ghosting program to fix Newtek's bugs. Even if those bugs are just poor documentation on their website.

I'm sorry I'm bitching, but this is starting to cost us time and money.

- Mikko

PIZAZZ

NewTek System Integrator
mikkowilson said:
We payed thousands for Video Toaster. We shouldn't have to use a 3rd parting ghosting program to fix Newtek's bugs. Even if those bugs are just poor documentation on their website.

I'm sorry I'm bitching, but this is starting to cost us time and money.

- Mikko

Mikko, I know you probably don't want to hear this but the 4.6 upgrade was marketed as a "PUBLIC BETA" upgrade.

I never completely trust any Beta software in a mission critical situation. Unless I have to absolutely have a feature in that Beta software. Newer is not always better and the Ghost solution for $60 is a fantastic solution to save anyone's day. We install it on ALL our systems and I can't tell you how much of a difference it makes knowing you can always go back in time if need be.

If you want to save the time and money you say you are losing then I suggest you take measures to do so and use a tool like Ghost or Acronis.

I am not saying it is not Newtek's fault for letting 4.6a out with the audio mixer not saving the configuration. But it is our fault if we don't have an effective backup plan to put in action.

ted

Jef, thank you for pointing out what I thought I remembered.
4.6 IS a PUBLIC BETA.
I also think this was a silly error that should NOT have gotten out, but if ya can't take the heat, don't go in the kitchen!

I ventured into the 4.6 build while doing a mission critical project for reasons I can't go into. But I knew it and have dealt with it.

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
Jef & Ted
At the risk of adding to the confusion here (and I have been known to be wrong :tsktsk: ), I downloaded the 4.6 public Beta on December 21st after requesting it from Paul via email. The 4.6a public Release then appeared on NewTek's server on or about December 29th (the date that still appears on those download pages even though the file that is there is now 4.6b).

Mikko
Because the 4.6b installer was broken for at least some of us who run LW7.5, Andrew wrote a "registry fix" that will allow 4.6b to install. Yesterday, near the bottom of the second page of this thread, Paul posted:

We have a simple work-around for the VT4/LW75 customers unable to patch up to version 4.6. If you will email me I can send you this small corrective file and get you on your way.
... Paul's Address ...

FWIW & YMMV

Last edited:

slx

PIZAZZ said:
Mikko, I know you probably don't want to hear this but the 4.6 upgrade was marketed as a "PUBLIC BETA" upgrade.
28.12.2005 Newtek sent me e-mail about version 4.6:
Dear Sir or Madam,
NewTek is pleased to announce the latest software update for VT[4].
Version 4.6 enhances the integrated Production Suite with a combination of
new features, fixes and several stability improvements. VT[4] version 4.6
update is a free download for registered owners of VT[4].

There is nothing about BETA version.

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
There WAS a public beta back in December, but I don't see why anyone would say that the released 4.6 is a beta, that's not the case.

jport

i requested the 4.6b patch from Paul yesterday and he was kind enough to send it to me. i held off installing it because his eMail said a 4.6c would be available today (1/14/06).

eMailed 1/13/06
Unzip vt45_lw75.zip to your desktop, double click the file and then you can
install the patch.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

FYI, 4.6c will be public tomorrow with an additional (minor) bug fix to the
Codec panel when recording, as it reports 'unable to create file' but doesn't hinder recording.

does anyone know where i can download it from? or has NT done a "switheroo" again and its the same 4.6 download with the Dec. release date?

Scott Bates

Just Tryin' To Help...
My guess is that they didn't get 4.6c ready to go today. I got the same email from Paul and he said they are going to change the download page descriptions/dates to reflect what is actually there for download and update them each time there is a change. Based on that I assume that v4.6b is still behind the download link (despite the 12.29 date) ... unless they tell us differently.

Brian Peterson

Why wasn't the fix for 4.6b posted to the download forum until c came out? I'm sitting here needing that patch after a day of rebuilding my computer and will probably have to wait till tomorrow morning for the email! Argh!

Paul Lara

It's ALL about the light
Brian Peterson said:
Why wasn't the fix for 4.6b posted to the download forum until c came out?

I'm not sure, Brian, it should have been posted.
I've sent you the file to progress with installation.

My apologies,

Paul

Paul Lara

It's ALL about the light
PIZAZZ said:
...the 4.6 upgrade was marketed as a "PUBLIC BETA" upgrade.

Actually, 4.6 is a full, public release, Jef. The 'beta' on that page was mistakenly carried over from my correspondence with the Marketing beta testers.

Again, my apologies.

ted

Paul, for goodness sake, since "Beta" was listed on the download page, save some grief and stick with that story! :thumbsup:
It gets NewTek off the hook for one more build! :i_agree:

jcupp

Grizzled Veteran
My understanding is that the 4.6b patch fixed the install problem. 4.6b and 4.6c (the final version of VT[4]) are available here. Look under Previous Product Updates. Paul left NewTek several years ago.

Top Bottom