Bye bye to an old friend - Cinefex magazine shutting down

Qexit

While this isn't a magazine I can pretend I read every issue of, it is still one I will miss. Cinefex always had interesting content that set it apart from other movie magazines. There is nothing else quite like it on the market. Issue #172 will be final release:

My personal favourite issue would be from the early days: Issue #5 from back in 1981 with an unforgettable cover image from the original 'Clash of the Titans'

Attachments

• Cinefex05.jpg
    Cinefex05.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 25

Markc

ack ack
Wow didn't expect that.
I have most of them in print form, but recently moved to iPad version.....:cry:
Does this mean the app will shut down and I will lose all my issues?

If they have a half price sale on print copies, I would re-buy the digital ones in print.

Markc

ack ack
Have sent an email asking the question about iPad version....await reply.
Tbh I can't see a reason to not keep the app live with all issues available to buy (surely not much admin required) the issues are there so people may still buy them.

In retrospect, as long as the app is on my ipad and issues downloaded, rather than on cinefex cloud, it should be fine. Turned off WiFi and the app still works fine.

JamesCurtis

I have to admit, I stopped getting the mag about 6 years ago. I am basically retired, and didn't see a need for it. I still have the print issues of it [ the first issue is showing its age] and haven't looked at any of them since reading them when they came out. I was thinking recently about whether it was still around and I guess this answers that question. I'll miss it as well. It was much different than most mags. No fluff!

It would be nice if there was a way to release them as collected digital volumes, maybe 10 or 15 issues per volume?

Maybe, for old times sake, I'll look through them again.

Markc

ack ack
I had to go digital a few years back, because when I subscribed (which was expensive for international delivery), I was getting maybe 1 of 4 arriving (when it was quarterly). I think because it came in a transparent poly bag, somewhere it was getting 'snatched' if someone thought it looked cool. So became very un-economical, I ended up re-buying issues off ebay and paying twice.

adrian

Audere-Est-Facere
Pity we can't buy these as PDF versions. I don't have an iPad and would love to read quite a few of the early 1980s ones. Oh well :(

Will miss Cinefex, I have every issue up to current, and can remember reading #1 on the sly in math class early in high school. In those days, I would always manage to get into town and hit the local comic book store that carried them. Kevin, I loved issue #5 as well, and my high school graduation coincided with #12 which was also stop motion-centric.

Related story, the only issue I ever had to replace was the Willis O'Brien #7, as years later I met Victor Delgato (the brother of Marcel Delgato) who lived here in Colorado Springs, and even though I had brought the issue over for him to autograph, he was so taken by all the good vintage photos of his brother I gave it to him as a keepsake. Worthy loss.

Cinefex, Cinemagic magazine, and the book "The Techniques of Special Effects Photography" by Raymond Fielding were my education in this business.

Markc

ack ack
Didn't get the early issues in print (far too expensive on used market), just read number 1&2 on iPad version....😁

That article in #2 about John Dykstra and his work on ST:TMP taught me about matte lines and why they happen, and gave me an understanding that served well when I finally was about to operate and use optical printers during college and after. I finally was able to meet many of those Apogee folks in '86 and tour the facilities.

Doing bluescreen traditionally was HARD. I know, having done it. Even with a friendly lab willing to run B&W separations at the gamma you request was no guarantee. I wish for training purposes After Effects would have a "traditional film mode" that you could toggle on. In this mode, every adjustment to a matte shot would take a day to update to the screen, and would randomly enlarge or decrease the size of your alpha, along with a random off-set, element weave and layer of dirt and scratches. :)

Honestly, no one that hasn't done it can understand how great these masters of the art of optical compositing were, or understand how EASY things are now. Cinefex was able to communicate the dedication and passion back long before "the internet".

Markc

ack ack
Just got an update to the app, with following quote (couldn't copy the text sorry)

'After 40 years of publications, we are sad to report that no new issues will be forthcoming, but the Cinefex iPad App will be maintained for the foreseeable future, thereby affording continued digital access to every past and present issue of the magazine.'

JamesCurtis

Good to know about this. I have an IPad [or I will have, that is, after a friend of mine gets around to signing it over to me as a new owner]. I paid only about half of what the iPad is worth.

Top Bottom