Butterfly Net Render 5

CROUTON213

Anyone else think the new BNR 5 is less good than BNR 4.57? I have been using BNR for many years and loving it, but now it is not so much love.

CROUTON213

First of all, I think BNR is awesome and I definitely recommend it. The BNR ScreamerNET setup wizard is completely easy. It functions very well, however now in the new web browser interface of BNR 5 each time I start it, the interface comes up in its default size even though I have already set it up the way I like it. It gives you preferences you can set, but they don’t seem to get saved. Then, I can no longer load multiple scenes into the queue at once, I have to load one at a time, then select OKAY to get it into the queue. Once all my scenes are individually loaded, I then have to start them one at a time.
Also, I have set all the nodes to display the CLI shell pop up because I like to easily look at the screens and see that the machines in our studio are rendering. For some reason it does not display the CLI anymore like it used to. There’s a few other things I can’t remember right now and this may sound nitpicky, but in BNR4.57 you could load in a handful of scenes and then start the queue all at once and the machines would pop up the CLI and I knew they were working. I am not trying to put down BNR 5 it just seems a little more tedious than BNR 4.57. Like I said, I would definitely recommend BNR 5 as I am successfully using it with Lightwave 11.6.1 …

CROUTON213

I guess it would be nice if Lightwave 3D had its own built in render controller. Local network rendering is the functionality that makes Lightwave most valuable to me at this time. Is it really that hard to make it so my 8, 9 or 15 node mini renderfarm can render my Lightwave scene files from within Lightwave?

CROUTON213

If I am able to set my content directory to be in my local area network within Lightwave, why can't I render in my network from within Lightwave 3D. Please give me a Lightwave 3D render controller that works with my Windows 64bit network! Thank you...Windows XP x64, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

CROUTON213

Now BNR5 is a whole new program that I have to figure out. ALL I WANT is a simple render controller to use 9 or 10 nodes in a Windows 64 bit network.

CROUTON213

ButterflyNetRender 5 >>> Skip Image Frames Already Created? NO NO NO NO NO RENDER ALL OF THEM PLEASE ALWAYS RENDER ALL FRAMES! Thank you. Save Preference.

CROUTON213

Hello everyone,
I'm an artist not an IT Guy. >>>Although I play one in my studio<<< Please keep helping me to get BNR5 working to maximum levels of power and efficiency. BNR5 works, but it needs so much of my inputs... and at the end of a day of animating, I don't want to fiddle with the dadgum render controller. I just want to load all scenes and render all scenes using all of my nodes and also, as a bonus, I would like to see the CLI pop up on all my screens and see it working while I go home for catnips, I mean naps. Sorry for these obnoxious comments in this thread ...Thank you so much for the BNR render controller. I am a man of integrity and fully intend to keep using BNR5. I am very willing to spend more on BNR5 if that helps. Thank you.
-QB

Last edited:

paulhart

Animated Fool
I remember seeing a plugin that was developed for BNR5 that would allow usage from within the Lightwave GUI. Seems like a good idea. I quibbled about it being an extra cost, but the developer sets the price. I just thought that throwing in the Plugin with the purchase would only generate more purchases of the software?? but what do I know. But anyway, sounds somewhat like what you are asking for.
Here is the link, http://www.butterflynetrender.com/web5/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=6&Itemid=131

Last edited:

Tommy_TGCG

BNR 5 is absolute rubbish compared to 4.57. At least 4.57 "just worked" (most of the time), keeping in mind that it "was what it was" (pretty much like LW itself).

Now v5.01... much slower interface, two separate programs for the manager(?), more useless options, removed USEFUL options, more crashes, more picky with scenes, worse communication with nodes, the list goes on forever.

My favourite is how the manager cannot properly shutdown/ reset nodes half of the time (sometimes even when they are not crashed, just rendering), so... you cannot stop the job they are working on and assigne them to some other job. Only way is to close them using remote desktop (good luck with many nodes) or turn off the manager, and start it again (good luck with many jobs running). OH I FORGOT! the job you were trying to start will RESTART AGAIN when you reboot the manager program! BECAUSE, LIKE, IT DID NOT STOP PROPERLY BEFORE YOU STOPPED THE MANAGER! WHICH YOU DID BECAUSE IT COULD NOT STOP THE JOB! Is there a setting to turn

It's like they tried much too hard - and failed equally hard. And no update for the last 6 months, I wonder if they are still developing it. I sent them an email with all the problems I had - it was the longest letter I've written in my life. The response was "what version are you using". Well, the latest.

Long story short - I wholeheartedly recommend getting BNR. If you like suffering, that is.

papou

··'
I had to admit that BNR 5 was looking so unsexy that i prefer to keep using BNR 4.5x ...
If i remember you can run BNR 4.5x and BNR 5 independently. Both have lw11.6x compatibility.

For control to many nodes, i suggest to use PSTools. It help sometimes when LWSN or BNR failed.

CROUTON213

I would like to report that BNR 5 is functioning extremely well in my 12 node Windows 8.1, Windows 7 and Windows Vista 64bit Lightwave 3D studio. I went ahead and learned a lot about networking and now this thing screams like it should. The support that I have received from Liquid Dream Solutions has always been excellent. A while back someone asked, "what is the most important feature of Lightwave 3D to you? I SAY NETWORK RENDERING!!! I have been network rendering since 1997 using ye olde ScreamerNET II and BNR is so nice for the modern digital artist. Thank you so much for BNR 5.

Top Bottom