Building over the shoulder graphics with M/E - what is the best way?

jcirque

We run a broadcast news show, and are looking to add per story ots graphics that have the ability to show a station image when a story graphic isn’t being used.

Ideally, we want the story graphics for the ots to be centered pngs that can be keyed into place on either the left or right side ots so that we don’t have to worry about making the graphic for the wrong side.

currently I’m using a 3 layer m/e with layers from top to bottom as gfx 1 for the graphics, and buffers for the ots backplate and positioned green square for the key with m/e 1 on the bottom as a virtual set. But this is where I’m unsure how (if it is possible) to composite everything.

how can I cause the gfx pngs to be positioned and scaled to where the green square for the key in the ots is? Or do I have to make graphics that are just overlaid with gfx 1 being for left ots and gfx 2 being for right ots?

NNolte

I usually use down-stream keys in a mix effect to display a graphic like that. You can resize and reposition the DSK in the M/E so you don't have to worry about modifying the source graphics.

jcirque

But wouldn’t that require two dsks so they can each be positioned differently? Right and left? And then that would require using gfx 1 and two.

or am I misunderstanding.

NNolte

MEs have two DSKs, so you could position one for right and one for left, and you should be able to set both DSKs to the GFX1. That would be a way to do both in one ME. Another way would be to setup two different MEs, one for left and one for right, and use just one DSK for the graphic in each. Depends if you want to have to switch the DSKs in the ME or if you just want to switch between MEs.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
A more complex solution, but ultimately a good one, would involve station id bugs specially prepared as LiveGraphics, if your TriCaster supports these.

You could build layers with the bug positioned in different places in different layers, and control visibility with layer presets in the Buffers pane. I think this could easily be handled using macros, once the LiveGraphic was prepared.

Top Bottom