Bugs in Version: 3-1 190206

imryh

Hi all.

We just upgraded our 3Play 4800 to Version: 3-1 190206, and have experienced some bugs.

I'll report these as actual bugs in the system, but wanted to share them with the community in case anyone has seen them as well:

1. When creating a new 3Play session, you can't see the session name as you're typing it in the text box. Once you're out of the text box, the name you typed appeared, but nothing shows up during typing.

2. The Transition Rates in playlists don't match with what they actually do. When you select "F 00:00:00:15" the transition rate that actually appears is "00:00:00:30".

3. The new export method is a problem. I understand why it's been moved into the session and reconfigured, but very important naming functionality has been lost. In the past, 3Play exported clips would be named "ClipTabNumber-EventNumber-Label_CamNumber.xxx". That was great for use in sports production melts. It allowed custom naming of files using labels, but also maintained information regarding camera angles and event numbers. That allowed us to sort clips very quickly based on their Event Number (which is chronological by default, unless changed), and also provided important information in clips where the label field was left empty. All that information has now been lost. We can't sort anything chronological, or tell which camera angle appears in which file. Both are very important in sports production clipping and tagging. Sure, if we did VERY DETAILED labeling, that would be fix it, but there's no time for that in a live production. The more that can be automated, the better.

Thanks!
Imry

dtweek

I've got the same issue with filename entry on launch, shows as blank until you click out.

I echo your comments on the file naming as well, that's going to make things a bit more complicated for us, also the auto publish feature has gone. It used to publish(export) automatically if the particular setting was activated, this feature has now gone, which will slow things down a bit.

That said I welcome having a new update as it's been a while!

Town Square TV

Issues with video output after installing new build

Last week we installed the new build on our 3Play 4800. Since installing the new build we have an intermittent black line/ bar across all both outputs when adjusting the play out speed using the T-bar. Issue shows at various times around 3%, 60% and 97%. This has made our system unreliable for our sports coverage. I have asked NewTek for access to the previous build that never showed this issue, but they say that they can’t provide that, very frustrating and disappointing.

Does anyone know were I can download 3PLAY Rev 3-1-170915 ?

My hope is that rolling back will fix this problem, but NewTek has not been helpful yet.

Another bug I have see is on the playback of the Preview Clips, frames playback out of order. This is seen using the system in 720p 59.94. Issue is seen on the multiviewer and on the SDI output when the preview used as a DSK source (like cutting in a clock cam). This bug is not seen in 1080i.

Anyone else seen seen these issues? Any help would be great. Thanks

-Joe

cvarju

Hey All,

Also if you are using LINE IN Audio on your 4800, DO NOT UPGRADE to this build. There is a record issue with SDI inputs and analog audio.

go1tiger

Great... Wish I had seen this before I updated ours. We have a All Star game on April 27th and haven't had a chance to use our 3-Play since updating.

go1tiger

Has there been any updates released that have addressed these issues? The only one I see on the website is the March release that has caused me nothing but grief...

Editec

Hopefully we will get a response on this Forum Post in short order from Steve Bowie or Zane Condren.

It is truly sad to see so many bugs reported on probably the final firmware release (190319) for the 3Play 4800/440.

No doubt it will give a moment of pause when considering an upgrade to future product offerings from Newtek.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I'm so sorry to say you'll be waiting a long time for a reply from Zane, as he passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at the end of November last year.

I haven't read through the posts above, but just yesterday I had a look at some old (2019) cases which were all marked "Resolved" in our records. Generally, if anyone is aware of a bug that still appears in the latest version of software available for their system and it was reported more than a few months ago, feel free to PM me the Fogbugz case numbers and I'll check their status.

Editec

Zane was so young, and very helpful to all in the Newtek community. Condolences to his family, friends & colleagues.

May I suggest that the development team download & install the latest version (190319) only from the Newtek Downloads site onto a 3Play 4800 and verify the ‘Resolved’ issues and those additional bugs posted on this 3Play Forum are indeed resolved. Importantly, the test 3Play 4800 should rolled back to a version such as 160601 prior to testing 190319, so as to emulate a real world update of the firmware by the End User.

Appreciate your assistance with this Steve. Cheers.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Zane was so young, and very helpful to all in the Newtek community. Condolences to his family, friends & colleagues.

May I suggest that the development team download & install the latest version (190319) only from the Newtek Downloads site onto a 3Play 4800 and verify the ‘Resolved’ issues and those additional bugs posted on this 3Play Forum are indeed resolved. Importantly, the test 3Play 4800 should rolled back to a version such as 160601 prior to testing 190319, so as to emulate a real world update of the firmware by the End User.

Appreciate your assistance with this Steve. Cheers.
Yes, it was a shock to lose Zane. He was a good guy, family man, and a smart, dedicated team-member, so big loss all around. :(

I'd love to tell you the developers will jump on your suggestion, but I'm afraid this isn't how it works. One factor is that the bug reports I'm aware of are all closed, marked resolved. This means the developers prepared and tested fixes them some time back and handed the revisions off to QA (who is better equipped to handle testing in various environments and scenarios) to be verified. This being so, neither QA nor the developers are going to drop current work in hand to scan through forum threads with a view to compiling a list of things that (as best they know) were cared for two years ago.

I'm really, really, not trying to be facetious here, or unsympathetic, but it's just not realistic to imagine that happening. Believe me, no-one here wants to brush off a valid bug report, both because it impacts our loyal customers and may also indicate potential issues for other products sharing parts of the code base. If there are issues - whether these were not fully or properly resolved previously, or something brand new - what we need to work with are open cases. That's why I offered to check the status of any known cases, and and encourage re-opening them where that seems appropriate.

Top Bottom