bones troubles

soz

First, sorry for my english......:p

I can't export lw animations with bones into Director ( the bones don't affect the model and the import close Director :mad: ).

Can you explain to me where is the error ? :

- I model my character with skelegons in the same layer.
- I import into Layout and I convert skelegons to bones.
- I make my animation and I use the w3d exporteur.

It all !!!! but, in the preview the model isn't animate and, if I import into Director, a error close the soft.....

What's the problem ????????
:confused:

PS: for the answer, please use very simple english.....:D

Sam_Horton

Unless you go and hand animate the bones on an individual basis you are going to have to use motion baker to bake in all of the motions (even this usually gives less than acceptable results). I've had the worst luck setting up IK chains and keeping all of the rotational parameters matched in director. It seems to me that bone IK chains are not really supported in director, only absolute rotation and position values.

I know Kenneth frequents these forums, perhaps he can inform us of the exporter's developement progress (if it's still being developed etc...). I know he's not working on it anymore but he used to have very informative replies on the old board.

Sam_Horton

Also...

Probably the most important thing you have to do when setting up a skeleton for shockwave is to create a totally unique weight map for every single bone. The weight maps are how each bone knows which vertices it is supposed to manipulate. If you assign multiple bones to the same weightmap or to none at all then you will get either no animation or very strange animation.

Vizjerei3D

man... no wonder...

I wish i read this post earlier... I have setup all the animation for my charactor with bones... then once i export it with the plug-in and it error me and freeze my computer :(

so how to motion bake?? is it the one in Motion Mixer?? I tried that, now my bones has have keyframe in every single frame... but even that, the exporter doesn't like it.. and freeze my computer with a error message (I am using a 2.6GHz machine with 1 GB rams, don't tell me it can't handle that action...)

I have weightmap for every single bones already... where it is a long list show in Modeler...

Now i am screwed... i was thinking to hand this thing in for my assignment...

Sam~ Help~ or u can post up a tutorial on your way to solve the problem in detail please, please help us ~:eek:

Last edited:

mdoyle

It really depends on how you have set up the bones, whether they are with ik or not. Sam helped me out to get started in using bones properly and have learned alot. What I find is you need to have a seperate weight map for each bone but make sure the weignt maps don't overlap each other much. That can cause big problems (well from what I have done). I did get it work with a chain but had to make sure the weight maps were next to each other instead of overlapping.

Try it that way, and also try using a low poly character (if you aren't already) which isn't in meta form (whatever you call it)

Sam correct me if I am wrong,

Cheers

Mark

Vizjerei3D

my charactor is low poly already, only 300 poly...

yea, after using a night on internet to search on solution, i see ppl saying that each point can only appear in only one weight map, i will try it and see if it can solve my problem

"I did get it work with a chain but had to make sure the weight maps were next to each other instead of overlapping."
sorry, i am a newbie don't really understand this part... :(

what bones properly i have to change? please help, :(

mdoyle

Basically if you created either skelegons or bones in lightwave, one after another, they are connected like a "chain". So when you move one bone the others will be affected some how. I found that if I had one mesh and there were bones chained together then you had to create weight seperate weight maps for each bone and to get an animation looking right it takes alot of trial and error. It might seem it looks ok in lightwave but once exported to director it wouldn't work.

For example if you had one cube with 3 bones in it, in lightwave you could have a seperate weight map for each bone which covers the entire mesh (basically all the maps occupying the same space and are the same size) and the mesh would bend fine. However director cannot do this, so you would have to the change the size of the weight map so it would fit round each bone seperately and not affect the others.

Does this make sense?

Cheers

Mark

mdoyle

In modeler you select the poly's you want to have the weight map applied and click on the drop down at the bottom right of the screen and select new. You can then change the value of how strong a weight map is in the options you are given. There are lots of tutorials on how to create weight maps on the web, sorry I don't have any just now to give you and I don't have time to create one just now. If you can wait I will do a quick one soon,

Cheers

Mark

Vizjerei3D

oh need to select the poly's I want to have the weight map applied first... ic

because i usually do it with the Bone Weights way, so it auto create a weight map for every bone... then i just set value for each weight map by setting value on points... Let me try ur ways then~ :)

thanks man:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom