Black Friday?

prometheus

REBORN
The only other deal I see as interesting right now is Embergen, if there is one that is.
But I also need to check out how it has progressed, but limited time right now..and I need to work a bit with the Adobe suite today sunday.

Of course, imagine an offer for Lightwave itself...sell or not to sell, that is the question.

slacer

Could we please stay on this threads topic? I am looking for a new Wacom Tablet, new software tools and maybe 3d models for a game engine.
Paid vs Free vs Subscription should not the core of this discussion, don't you think?
Far too much emotions around here;)

Where to get Black Friday stuff for artists without starting a fire?

prometheus

REBORN
Could we please stay on this threads topic? I am looking for a new Wacom Tablet, new software tools and maybe 3d models for a game engine.
Paid vs Free vs Subscription should not the core of this discussion, don't you think?
Far too much emotions around here;)

Where to get Black Friday stuff for artists without starting a fire?

Please don´t start the fire again by complaining about users starting a fire....shalll we, it only adds to more discourse.:p
If someone is arguing about a black friday deal and why there are better alternatives, shouldn´t we have the tolerance to argue around that?

It´s just unavoidable that a discussion goes of threads topics to some degree, it´s really not been that bad that a "please don´t start a fire" is needed as reprimand.
The thread is here, people are answering, and asking for deals, as I did in my latest post.

Emotions are wherever theres a human and not just a machine, I see nothing wrong with having one, as you have when reacting to the fire, but I do agree about subscription VS free doesn´t matter, wether or not that is the Core theme of this thread I have my opinion on and let others judge for their sake.

Could we please stay on this threads topic?
this already derailed too much, and it is too early.

i'll post a new thread once CGchannel has its list up and running.
unless someone else goes first.

prometheus

REBORN
Just downloaded the Embergen v 0.7.5 Demo, just in case they present a campaign soon.
It´s working, VDB exports works..but I need to check which secondary software I will be able to work most smoothly with it.

Previously only tested the very first Demo, this is a different beast, and at that time with that old demo I couldn´t export out any VDB, so first trials now.
Export is processing fairly easy, will have to browse through the presets first, then checking resolutions, and the rest.

sami

I think you missed my point. This is a thread about Black Friday sales - if you're so budget conscious and price matters, Affinity has way more bang for buck. I'm not sure what the market is like in Sweden, but if one has trouble switching between Photoshop & Affinity then maybe they should consider a different career - they're virtually indistinguishable for the most part. And Affinity is faster in many tasks.

If the studio or place you work requires Photoshop, then use Photoshop they'll pay the subscription. The workflow is identical. Pretending Adobe is light years beyond their competition is absurd. If anything, Adobe going subscription was great for their shareholders, but horrible for innovation - they've had no incentive to innovate. I wasn't trying to preach to another religion, I was mentioning a good sale and a competent product. Besides, to me, knowing Adobe products these days, is like putting Microsoft Office on your resume - it better be a given. Enjoy Adobe, I like it too, but only if someone else is paying for it.

sami

Speaking of Black Friday sales that are awesome (and that don't involve Adobe :p) Topaz Labs currently has at least 25% off everything (plus sometimes coupons you find online work with their sales).
https://topazlabs.com/shop/
I currently can't live without Gigapixel and Video Enhance AI, I also love Sharpen AI & DeNoise AI - both of which are indispensable.

slacer

Speaking of Black Friday sales that are awesome (and that don't involve Adobe :p) Topaz Labs currently has at least 25% off everything (plus sometimes coupons you find online work with their sales).
https://topazlabs.com/shop/
I currently can't live without Gigapixel and Video Enhance AI, I also love Sharpen AI & DeNoise AI - both of which are indispensable.
Hi sami,
these AI products work completely offline without requiered Internect connection?

lardbros

Not so newbie member
Not sure what you’re talking about. No place asks if you have Affinity or Photoshop skills. It’s a given to have photoshop skills. And quite frankly, the two apps are pretty identical in interface as well as in functionality. One is $60 minus 30% off the other is >$50/ month.

also Premiere is getting janky and even the free version of Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve is better than it. Fusion while nodal vs AE’s layers is a workhorse. So unless you have specific plugins that only work with AE, I’d go with Fusion. A lot of the main plugins like Boris Continuum come in OFX versions that work with BlackMagic stuff.

it’s not some obscure weird app. Affinity is doing competent pro apps, no one can tell bc whether I did something in Affinity or Adobe if I deliver a PSD from either. Plus Resolve has just gotten so much better and more stable than Premiere (and I used to love Premiere).
There’s also pretty much zero learning curve to Affinity if you know Photoshop you know it too.
Completely agree with all of this.

We have Adobe and Affinity at work, but find I'm using Affinity Designer WAY more than Illustrator... it's just MUCH nicer.
Unfortunately I have to use After Effects still, but if I could leave it I definitely would.

Now Adobe have decided that the old licensing model of the Substance Suite was way too simple and straight-forward, so they've changed it so we cannot license it any longer... thanks Adobe!

prometheus

REBORN
Completely agree with all of this.

We have Adobe and Affinity at work, but find I'm using Affinity Designer WAY more than Illustrator... it's just MUCH nicer.
Unfortunately I have to use After Effects still, but if I could leave it I definitely would.

Now Adobe have decided that the old licensing model of the Substance Suite was way too simple and straight-forward, so they've changed it so we cannot license it any longer... thanks Adobe!

Of course, you may think whatever you wish, or feel about it, but you are contradicting yourself and facts, the whole point...which was there is Absolutely no need to use Adobe products..generally, that is how it was described.

And as for contradiction..you said you would like to leave adobe after effects..but you can´t.
Makes no sense.

And it is also false as I stated..something you actually can´t agree on as " Completely agree with All of this," since Many places ask for Phothoshop skills and the others from the adobe product line, it is by no means a matter of "No place ask if you have affinity or photoshop skills"

Oh well, back to the quarrel mode :)

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
I think you missed my point. This is a thread about Black Friday sales - if you're so budget conscious and price matters, Affinity has way more bang for buck. I'm not sure what the market is like in Sweden, but if one has trouble switching between Photoshop & Affinity then maybe they should consider a different career - they're virtually indistinguishable for the most part. And Affinity is faster in many tasks.

If the studio or place you work requires Photoshop, then use Photoshop they'll pay the subscription. The workflow is identical. Pretending Adobe is light years beyond their competition is absurd. If anything, Adobe going subscription was great for their shareholders, but horrible for innovation - they've had no incentive to innovate. I wasn't trying to preach to another religion, I was mentioning a good sale and a competent product. Besides, to me, knowing Adobe products these days, is like putting Microsoft Office on your resume - it better be a given. Enjoy Adobe, I like it too, but only if someone else is paying for it.

I missed this post from you and should have answered earlier, but no I did Not miss your point, I never said anything about the budget and how the price matters in my previous point other that it was a good deal, so we can throw that argument out of this discussion even though It matters, but not what in the end is the most important aspect of it.

as for trouble between phtoshops and Affinity and consider a different career, why would we even think about that, there is not really so much( a little but not impossible( of a such case of having a trouble of switching really, since Affinity isn´t even up for required skills nor sought for by those placing the job adds officially on the nation wide unemployment site.

The performance between Adobe products VS Affinity, I can not judge on...what I can question that Affinity doesn´t deliver a video solution does it? which would leave me at choosing something Like Davinci Resolve, and that is equal to Affinity in reference to what is required as skillset, premiere is quite often asked for in the ads over here.

It doesn´t matter if the studio pays your license as the foremost importan factor, if they do, fine and great but that´s not the point..you need to know the software well before you get hired, and you rarely can jump in and do that without actually having a license of your own, I said that before but I just don´t understand why that wasn´t recognized.

Apart from that you argue around your situation in your area, not knowing how it is over here, makes the statement inaccurate and false, and especially since you are a freelancer it seems, which is a different story than many others I would say...but apart from that I agree and have the same feelings about Adobe´s prescription model, and I can only say that if I do not get to work with the products within the prescription year, I will stop the prescription and wait until a new situation unfolds where it may be possible and then jump on again if required..and if the company can pay for it, why not.

I just need to revive the skillsets I already had, and for that I am willing to invest a bit for a while in it, Affinity would only be an option if there actually were those asking for that skillset or if I already had client jobs as my own freelancer, but that´s not the case.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
For those less interested in bickering and more interested in deals..... http://www.cgchannel.com/2021/11/black-friday-and-cyber-monday-2021-deals-for-cg-artists/
Thank´s for the heads up, I noticed Embergen in there now.
Going for the Indie hobby version and paying directly for a year, a bit cheaper than the monthly consecutive license.
I wonder though what differs between the Studio version VS the Indie version..except for the revenue part?

Otherwise, been testing it for almost two days now, it seems to work as I expect it to, and seems to be capable of what I want it to do, but have to try some more, imports etc.
Got till 29th of november, so it´s gonna be an order on the Adobe Creative suite, and Embergen this time, the full suite with vector gen I need to check up on though.
But then I reckon the purse needs to be put to rest for the year, maybe..just maybe cycles-x for blender to also push the volumetric rendering speed but not sure.

sami

Hi sami,
these AI products work completely offline without requiered Internect connection?
Hi slacer,

The Topaz Labs apps don't seem to have a serial number, but they do work offline - but you have to log into the apps which phone home I believe. Usually only updating the app to a new version requires the log in again/phone home action. I turned off my Wifi to test and Gigapixel works fine. I'm not sure what you'd have to do for a totally air gapped, offline PC - but their support is so good I'm sure they'd give you a work around. But in general I haven't had to log in again for months between version updates and everything works fine.

The Affinity suite (if you meant them and not the Topaz Labs stuff) works fine offline too and has serial numbers. They work perfectly offline as well. I can't recommend these two software suites enough - they're awesome and pretty good bang for buck!

sami

I missed this post from you and should have answered earlier, but no I did Not miss your point, I never said anything about the budget and how the price matters in my previous point other that it was a good deal, so we can throw that argument out of this discussion even though It matters, but not what in the end is the most important aspect of it.

as for trouble between phtoshops and Affinity and consider a different career, why would we even think about that, there is not really so much( a little but not impossible( of a such case of having a trouble of switching really, since Affinity isn´t even up for required skills nor sought for by those placing the job adds officially on the nation wide unemployment site.

The performance between Adobe products VS Affinity, I can not judge on...what I can question that Affinity doesn´t deliver a video solution does it? which would leave me at choosing something Like Davinci Resolve, and that is equal to Affinity in reference to what is required as skillset, premiere is quite often asked for in the ads over here.

It doesn´t matter if the studio pays your license as the foremost importan factor, if they do, fine and great but that´s not the point..you need to know the software well before you get hired, and you rarely can jump in and do that without actually having a license of your own, I said that before but I just don´t understand why that wasn´t recognized.

Apart from that you argue around your situation in your area, not knowing how it is over here, makes the statement inaccurate and false, and especially since you are a freelancer it seems, which is a different story than many others I would say...but apart from that I agree and have the same feelings about Adobe´s prescription model, and I can only say that if I do not get to work with the products within the prescription year, I will stop the prescription and wait until a new situation unfolds where it may be possible and then jump on again if required..and if the company can pay for it, why not.

I just need to revive the skillsets I already had, and for that I am willing to invest a bit for a while in it, Affinity would only be an option if there actually were those asking for that skillset or if I already had client jobs as my own freelancer, but that´s not the case.
You're making a million assumptions there, about me, my experience, and my intent. You seem to like to hear yourself talk, so...
trollinbye.gif

prometheus

REBORN
You're making a million assumptions there, about me, my experience, and my intent. You seem to like to hear yourself talk, so...View attachment 151490
thats ridiculous..especially when your ellaboration is nothing more than vapor attacks without substance around the actual matter..it's just some personal upset emotions from you to conclude it like that when you cant back up your assertments or even try to adress where mine arent correct.

i didnt assume any of what you say.
first ofg.a million things wouldnt be possible with the limits in postings.
the few things I adressed is about situations you do didnt know a thing about..but assumed it was as you said it was..wich was and is false as I described in detail.

You indicate ..trolling because you have lost the logic to back up your assertments that was false..out of line.
when arguments fail..that's a very common response.

i'm never gonna be silent when someone..and in this case You ..are targeting my post with a response of false statements..that is how much love i have for Answering the talks with what I am convinced is true in all honesty.

the main issue here was about no one is asking about adobe skills..the rest is mere side effects of that..do you still persist that is the case here in sweden..or should I present actual case excerpts in this thread..or perhaps send all those ads to you privately for you to study and leave the thread alone for a more sober look at a black friday.

fishhead

Frequenter
So does your response mean they will buy the software for me personally, before hired to learn it and be up to date with it? and they do so for 400 others applying who need to learn and also produce portfolios with it?
Bit late here but was a bit sick, so this slighty late response from my side:
That the will buy one for you of course would be very cool but highly unlikely I guess. ;-) But I feel the strong urge to add that that is a brillant business model that Adobe has developed there: Sell subs of a CC Suite for a year (the minimum duration, in that Adobe is even multitudes worse than A-Desk) to everyone - all 400 applicants in your case - that will apply for some design job! Wow, never looked at it from that side... ;-) Attention: those all are meant to be ironic smileys here!

p.s.
I clearly believe that even if you know only CS3 or CS4 (or whatever was current in 2013) it would surely qualify you as you probably know at least 90% or more of all relevant tools in PS already anyway... At least CS4 still installs fine under Win10 (an old CreativeSuite4 here, to bad I missed the last possible chance to upgrade to CS6.) There is so few tools that I for instance need to use for the once or two a month print/layout jobs I get booked on (on site of the publisher) that I rarely need to look up anything that came after my outdated version...

Anyway, I hope your investment will pay off and in the end everything is just fine. :)

raymondtrace

Founding member
...The Topaz Labs apps don't seem to have a serial number, but they do work offline - but you have to log into the apps which phone home I believe...

I just bought Topaz Video Enhance AI yesterday and I'm still blindly feeling my way around. It appears that there is an important online element. The software may need to initially download AI models (discussed here). My account on Topaz's web site shows upgrades until November 24, 2022. This might mean that I cannot get new/updated AI models after this date.

...I can't recommend these two software suites enough - they're awesome and pretty good bang for buck!

Agreed. I still do most work in Adobe CS6 but jump to these other apps for a few features missing in CS6.

slacer

I just bought Topaz Video Enhance AI yesterday and I'm still blindly feeling my way around. It appears that there is an important online element. The software may need to initially download AI models (discussed here). My account on Topaz's web site shows upgrades until November 24, 2022. This might mean that I cannot get new/updated AI models after this date.

Agreed. I still do most work in Adobe CS6 but jump to these other apps for a few features missing in CS6.
I used the trial mode to play with some youtube downloads and the results are impressive.
Even older low-res clips from Lightwave 10 tutorials look great now.
I will add this nice software to my toolset :)

Top Bottom