Black Friday?

gdkeast

I got Embergen last year during Black Friday. It is probably the usual suspects this year. Did StarPro do BF last year?

Kryslin

E-on Software (Vue, Plant Factory, et alia) has been advertising Black Friday 'deals'. But I can't justify repurchasing the license every year for something I have no idea that I'll use enough to justify it...

prometheus

REBORN
I´m gonna jump on to the Adobe Creative suite, for a 40% reduction, ends 26th of november.
Despite I have said not jumping on to prescription models, those tools are so needed right now for me so I have to, at least for the upcoming year, after that if it´s not doing
what it should for me, then I may jump of the prescription, unless a new good offer comes at that time.

sami

I´m gonna jump on to the Adobe Creative suite, for a 40% reduction, ends 26th of november.
Despite I have said not jumping on to prescription models, those tools are so needed right now for me so I have to, at least for the upcoming year, after that if it´s not doing
what it should for me, then I may jump of the prescription, unless a new good offer comes at that time.
Forget Adobe - Affinity is way better and I haven't had any problems using PSDs or AIs with it. Plus they have a black friday sale 30% off everything - and it's 1 time purchase only:

prometheus

REBORN
Forget Adobe - Affinity is way better and I haven't had any problems using PSDs or AIs with it. Plus they have a black friday sale 30% off everything - and it's 1 time purchase only:

That is not feasable, you are probably trying to sell it in for me due to loath of adobe, or just find it way better perhaps :) but it makes no sense really.

Perhaps if you work for yourself as freelance and do klient work, my priority isn´t that ..but have to comply to what is reqired as skills in job ads, and you won´t find Affinity amongst that, while skillset in the Adobe series is in abundancy and Required.

40% percent off for the adobe creative suit eseries with 20 programs, while it probably is more expensive, these are the tools most companies relies on, and I myself already have
skills in it, have gone courses on it many years ago and updated recently, and I like them, apart from prescription model that is.

So while it may be quite good, better...I do not know anything about it, would have to learn more than what I know in Adobe, and..I will not find much jobs containing skillset with Affinity.

As for pdf or ai, I can´t recall having issues with Adobe.

Affinity...no video editing? I need premiere, after effects, and also..after effects having a decent bridge to lightwave, I also know these software quite a bit from older versions, I like them.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
What is a bit problematic in Adobe marketing, they do not publish a proper What´s in the cloud creative suite of 20 programs, they are often split on various pages, where you have to check illustraion, publishing, video sections etc..making it hard to get the full list at once.

This may be what they offer, but not sure..
Acrobat Pro DC*
Photoshop*
Illustrator*
InDesign*
Adobe XD
Lightroom
Acrobat Pro
Animate
Dreamweaver*
Premiere Pro
Premiere Rush
After Effects
Dimension
Audition
InCopy
Lightroom Classic
Media Encoder
Character Animator
Prelude
Fuse
Bridge
Stock**

sami

Not sure what you’re talking about. No place asks if you have Affinity or Photoshop skills. It’s a given to have photoshop skills. And quite frankly, the two apps are pretty identical in interface as well as in functionality. One is $60 minus 30% off the other is >$50/ month.

also Premiere is getting janky and even the free version of Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve is better than it. Fusion while nodal vs AE’s layers is a workhorse. So unless you have specific plugins that only work with AE, I’d go with Fusion. A lot of the main plugins like Boris Continuum come in OFX versions that work with BlackMagic stuff.

it’s not some obscure weird app. Affinity is doing competent pro apps, no one can tell bc whether I did something in Affinity or Adobe if I deliver a PSD from either. Plus Resolve has just gotten so much better and more stable than Premiere (and I used to love Premiere).
There’s also pretty much zero learning curve to Affinity if you know Photoshop you know it too.

Markc

ack ack
Completely agree.....;)
But in my case I literally loath Adobe.....:cautious:....ppffff subscription.

If you work freelance, the client wants a finished product, they don't care how it was produced.

Fusion being nodal is a plus.
Layer based compositing is outdated, and cumbersome.

in Scandinavia the Adobe package is 90% of the time required for an art designer job.

for Freelance we're free to chose whatever.

prometheus

REBORN
Not sure what you’re talking about. No place asks if you have Affinity or Photoshop skills. It’s a given to have photoshop skills. And quite frankly, the two apps are pretty identical in interface as well as in functionality. One is $60 minus 30% off the other is >$50/ month.

also Premiere is getting janky and even the free version of Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve is better than it. Fusion while nodal vs AE’s layers is a workhorse. So unless you have specific plugins that only work with AE, I’d go with Fusion. A lot of the main plugins like Boris Continuum come in OFX versions that work with BlackMagic stuff.

it’s not some obscure weird app. Affinity is doing competent pro apps, no one can tell bc whether I did something in Affinity or Adobe if I deliver a PSD from either. Plus Resolve has just gotten so much better and more stable than Premiere (and I used to love Premiere).
There’s also pretty much zero learning curve to Affinity if you know Photoshop you know it too.

As Erikals said above, that is facts, so You have no idea of what you are speaking of, I read job ads everyday and see the requirements for illustrator, photoshop, indesign, and also prefered premiere, after effects, these are sought for as requirements daily in job ads.

You just can´t rely on your own situation, your area to determine how the situation is in my area can you.
Davince resolve isn´t better than premiere, that I can tell you after only some hours of spending with the trial versions, compared to using davincie resolve, so much davinci resolve misses, and Especially the free version

There so many tools in after effects with presets to get going fast that isnt there with fusion, and besides..I do have fusion free as a backup if I should need that.

You say.."no one can tell wether or not you did something in photoshop or affinity"..well you missed the point totally which I explained to you in my post, it´s different if you are freelancing bringing in your own clients and work for them, which I don´t..opposed to lookin for work in this area where they require you to work with Adobe series..that is unavoidable.

prometheus

REBORN
So, does that mean the jobs you apply for need for you to bring your own software????
So does your response mean they will buy the software for me personally, before hired to learn it and be up to date with it? and they do so for 400 others applying who need to learn and also produce portfolios with it?

Of course they have their license for the company, but as mentioned above..you need to know them well, and you can´t do that without having it yourself can you.
Apart from that there may be occasions you need to work at home, and in such case they may not be willing to pertain a full license, but in such case you are eligable for reduction for that on your taxes, it it´s a demand on you for your work.

It´s different depending on each individual situation, I haven´t worked with photoshop since 2013 really, indesign 2019.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Completely agree.....;)
But in my case I literally loath Adobe.....:cautious:....ppffff subscription.

If you work freelance, the client wants a finished product, they don't care how it was produced.

Fusion being nodal is a plus.
Layer based compositing is outdated, and cumbersome.

I just don´t get the hickup some folks have on being their own freelance artist and having their clients and in the general discussion, or worse..specificly when it is directed to an individual it really isn´t valid for, and assume that is the case for everyone else, the recommendation was from sami to me buying affinity, which makes no sense at all given My preferences.
You can agree all you want, as long as it only pertains You.

I loath subscriptions as well, but the dominance of required Adobe skills is what it is over here, affinity..that search string in job ads you will Only find in actual reference to what it means, like affinity with this and that in regards to how you should work with companies, and not the actual Graphic product.

This is over here in Sweden, and of course if you are a freelance artist it would be a different matter and I would chime in with you all stressing on other products, but the world isn´t just made up of freelance artist,,is there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom