Better Dante routing

DLVid

Using Dante Controller, Dante is able to be routed one channel at a time. In my TC2E: audio mixer: supplemental audio I can only route in blocks of four channels; 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. I'm not aware of any instances where four channels of audio is useful. Also, Tricaster does not seem to use Dante in a source and destination manner. For example if I select Dante channels 1-4 for DDR playback and then select Dante channels 1-4 for input from my Yamaha QL5, the playback gets kicked out. Dante is a two-way protocol but Tricaster only seems to be able to support one direction or maybe only a total of 16 channels? Not sure but would love full Dante Virtual Soundcard control.

ThomasDragsnes

Agreed!

I dont have the problem with two way routing, that works nicely in my end. But the grouping of 4 channels is really annoying.

DLVid

Agreed, Dante is designed around a individual channel matrix I/O. Newtek 'supports' Dante but only sort-of. We are not able to use it to full potential.

Mr How

I see Dante in stereo pairs?
TC2 Dante Transmit.png
TC2 Dante Receive.png

DLVid

Ummmmmmm, my interface looks completely different! It does NOT show DVS receive or transmit. I would very much like to know what the difference is! Please IM me when you have some time.

DLVid

WDM makes the difference, thanks! Now in each channels' input settings I see DVS receive and in the routing tab, I see DVS transmit. Both in stereo pairs which is Much better than groups of 4 channels. Unfortunately, WDM is limited to 16 channels so I'll have to see if that's enough but this is a big improvement, thanks!

kanep

NewTek SE
The way Dante appears depends on how it is configured in the Dante configuration tool.

In WDM mode it appears at 8 stereo pairs.
In ASIO mode it appears as up to 64 flat channels of audio. TriCaster does the groups of 4 or 8 channels to make it easier map a range to an input or output.

ASIO is limited to one audio connection per audio channel, they cannot be shared. This is the trade off for the higher performance of ASIO audio interfaces. If you are using inputs 1-4 in one location, you can't use the same group somewhere else, same for output selections.

DLVid

Hi Kane, what you're saying is true but forcing groups of 4 channels doesn't make any sense. In 30+ years, I have never seen a 4 channel source. Mono, stereo, surround, etc; sure. In every Dante device I've used except the Tricaster, audio is able to be assigned by individual channel. Stereo pairing should not be mandatory. I use three Zoom Rooms with three pins each over NDI into my TC2E and cannot use WDM Dante because of the stereo pair limit.

I still can't figure out why ASIO only assigns in blocks of four with no "transmit" and "receive" options. If I assign channel 1-4 as an input, I cannot assign 1-4 separately as an output. This is very limiting and not how Dante works. In Dante, if you want to map a range of channels, you just check them off in the Controller matrix. I am Dante certified so I'm comfortable with saying these things.

We've been doing some extensive testing with ASIO Dante and have noticed some clicks and distortion that we have traced to ASIO in the Tricster NDI to Dante. We have tried: turning off flow control, adjusting latency and sample rate and have not been able to eliminate it.

I just ordered my second TC2E for my Studio B. I am very happy with most aspects of the Tricaster and am backing that up with my wallet. Dante is a Very significant part of my studio infrastructure and I really want the Tricaster to properly integrate this mature, professional technology.

kanep

NewTek SE
You can assign 1-4 inputs and 1-4 outputs, but you can't assign 1-4 inputs twice or 1-4 outputs twice. For example, using Dante Inputs 1-4 on TC Audio Channel 1 and then assigning Dante Inputs 1-4 on TC Audio Channel 2, even if you configure the routing to prevent active channel overlap in the TriCaster.

ASIO doesn't list as 'Transmit' and 'Receive' like WDM interfaces do, but they still work as inputs and outputs and you can only choose the matching type depending on what audio aspects you are adjusting.

Top Bottom