Best practice for quad-shot lower thirds?

Hi folks!

Just curious how you all are handling lower thirds for multi cam shots. Basically if you have three to four people on screen at once (like in a Zoom call), what are your best practices for adding lower thirds?

Andrew

I mix my PIPs in an ME. This gives me up to 8 on an ME but I usually tap out at 4 people on screen. I then use the KEYs as a place to put the lower thirds for names and such below each speaker. I can then use the DSKs for crawls and other items if needed. If I need more I will do 8 PIPs in an ME and then handle lower thirds via New Blue Titler Live and bring the titles in via NDI. I use the broadcast edition and can fire as many titles as I need.

Thanks STP!
We are using NDI to feed them in, but wanted to see what others are doing. Always trying to reduce the number of outboard components whenever possible (while still maintaining enough backup solutions just in case)!

I mix my PIPs in an ME. This gives me up to 8 on an ME but I usually tap out at 4 people on screen. I then use the KEYs as a place to put the lower thirds for names and such below each speaker. I can then use the DSKs for crawls and other items if needed. If I need more I will do 8 PIPs in an ME and then handle lower thirds via New Blue Titler Live and bring the titles in via NDI. I use the broadcast edition and can fire as many titles as I need.
sorry I'm a complete noob with the Tricaster trying to teach myself.
How do you get 8 pips in an M/E? I only manage to get 4 and then I have a black background messing with the main background.

Again, complete noob! thanks for the help!

sorry I'm a complete noob with the Tricaster trying to teach myself.
How do you get 8 pips in an M/E? I only manage to get 4 and then I have a black background messing with the main background.

Again, complete noob! thanks for the help!

By default the ME are setup as a bus to cut from Program/preview. You can click the transition icon and then click the + icon on one of the transition and and browse for the presets. If you select the 2 or 3 or 4 preset you will get that many layers. So 4 layers + 4 keys == 8 sources in an ME assuming you are not on a mini that is limited to two and two for a total of four sources.

By default the ME are setup as a bus to cut from Program/preview. You can click the transition icon and then click the + icon on one of the transition and and browse for the presets. If you select the 2 or 3 or 4 preset you will get that many layers. So 4 layers + 4 keys == 8 sources in an ME assuming you are not on a mini that is limited to two and two for a total of four sources.
hmm, that makes sense, so in this scenario, I can have 7 Inputs, and one background? correct?

Yes or 8 imputed and then do a key on the black that is exposed. Really wish trickster would preserve alpha to the last step and even offer to preserve it out on the NDI outputs.

rokestah

I've found it easier to add the x8 inputs to my M/E (x4 inputs and x4 keys) with an overlay in one of the DSK's.

Stream

eyeFacts-146599805-770x533-1-650x428.jpg

Top Bottom