Bad Shockwave Camera Export

Chrusion

gold plated 3D
See attached image.

I don't know why LW's camera view (orientation as parented to an animated null) is NOT the same after exporting to Shockwave 3D. There are no options that I can see in the export dialog to compensate/correct this unacceptable result.

So, someone... please help!!

Last edited:

Chrusion

gold plated 3D
Wow, what a good deal of support here in this forum, eh?

So, the only thing I can figure out is that LW's Shockwave exporter is broken, even in 9.0. That is, it doesn't properly locate objects and the camera, that or there's some weird mojo going on in Director during the initial import of a W3D.

For me, this issue was that the camera was was off on both XYZ and HPB, that is, it wasn't located at 0,0,0, 0,0,0. All I have to view properties is the built-in Director Object Properties window and this is where I seen and could edit those values back to zero. Also, the first layer of the model to which everything else is parented, was likewise not located at 0,0,0 upon import.

So, setting these values to zero and adjusting the camera's FOV fixed the spastic camera orientation.

OK, one down...

Next, I can't figure out why transparent surface textured objects of this model flicker in and out of existence based on camera viewing angle. Yes, all normals point outward and there is only a single image map on the color channel with the surface set to 70% transparent. Most if not all of the 14 objects with this type of surface disappear when viewed pretty much face on, but then pop into view when the model or camera makes them at about 40 - 60 degrees off axis.

Anyone know why? Does this no matter what the Renderer is set to... DX7 DX5.2, Software, etc. (Director doesn't go into OGL for some reason).

And THIRD...

Having a devil of a time getting objects to animate their scale correctly. I placed each object at the original so that it is at the point where the object needs to scale from, such as at the base. Then in Layout I moved each one into position at frame 0 and animated their Y scale at other keys as desired, setting graph editor curve interpolations as desired. In Director, the scale appears to be upside down, scaling from the top of the object instead of the bottom. What the heck is going on here?

I even tried moving the objects into position in Modeler, using the Move Pivot Tool to move the pivot where needed, but still Director goes bonkers by scaling the objects in the wrong direction.

Then I tried adding Nulls and parenting the objects to them and scaling the Nulls. That didn't work either.

Is there not something BETTER than Director for web 3D? Don't say Subdo... 1. it's not entirely there yet (got a few bugs), 2. can't afford, 3. can't use the demo for commerical use of which this project is. 4. After a month and a half, it's like I'm all the way back to square one with this thing and ready to give up and tell the client, it can't be done, even though it is being done by others and their competitors. It sure just isn't happening for me as I drudge thru this frustratingly user-UNfriendly Director/Shockwave technology.

<very heavy and long s i i i i i g h>

ZEmod

After a month and a half, it's like I'm all the way back to square one with this thing and ready to give up and tell the client, it can't be done, even though it is being done by others and their competitors. It sure just isn't happening for me as I drudge thru this frustratingly user-UNfriendly Director/Shockwave technology.

I know how you feel. I have two days time to complete my scholarly thesis. Shockwave 3D graphics are fundamental part of it. I've encounter every problem that you have stated, in every animation that I have created.
I have tried to improve w3d output quality by some "magic tricks", but i cant really do no **** to make things work decently enough.

Seems like my hair has turned gray while doing this...

Top Bottom