Ashes effect like God of War

prometheus

REBORN
Found the tutorial, though it may not be needed to do it that way anymore, but still may be of use, more a particle emission some shading going on to dissolve intergrate, not fracture or displace disintergrate, and it´s not what they used for the Actual blade 2 movie I posted above..

prometheus

REBORN
I think the Legacy wind forces has grown a bit old though in Lightwave.
You have in essential two forces to deal with turbulence and vortex undulations, and they may be tricky to control, it may require more than 3-4 of those to give variations, yet you can´t use to much force of that or it will just be some kind of vortex or turbulent show off sample.
Adding fractals to vector channels in direction winds..can give some effects, but can be to static in the direction in flows, and adding this on top of directional wind is Extremely slow to use.
Adding fractals to actual particle emitters velocity vector can move around particles as well, but they will go off in initial direction to shape some undulation( which I have on my too old youtube banner) but it´s not recommended for this effect cause it would look to static in motion.

David Ridlen I think does the best job with wind forces and particles for his snow stuff.

Otherwise..it´s just plain math vectors you feed in to the wind forces, which by themself lacks true physics behind them, such as can be seen in a fluid system.
So, using a fluid system to create a smoke flow, then use particle advection and let particles flow along with that I think could yield better result for it all.
It requires a a particle system to get access to the fluid systems velocity flow, such as particle advection.

I can do that easy in blender with smoke flow and the particles follow whatever fluid motion I have in there, in Lightwave, they added something new in 2020 ..which may or may not be able to drive particles with a fluid system. None has ever jumped in and described/declared it to be working though, and the manual isn´t properly clear on that part for me to even download 2020 and try it out, lacks documentation.

prometheus

REBORN
You could try to look at this and see if you can adapt anything from it to Lightwave, it´s gonna be hard though I think.
This is a very nice and simple tutorial ..easy to follow and not to long in time either, to do the basic disintergration, uses dynamic paint, a feature not available in lightwave..

So either wrestle to do it the same in Lightwave or another aproach in Lightwave, or just make it just like the tutorial in blender..with blender the choice is there.
Haven´t followed it through with adaptation but will check it later when I get the time.

It´s simplified and not a fraction of the complexity done by Alan McKay and the 3dmax, tyflow and fumefx stuff, but it may be a starting point, if you add true fracture, add more realistic uneven flake geometry instead of what he should here, increase particle amount factor by a Lot, and work more on the wind forces, and then throw in some fluids.

And another for some cloth effect motion with a look a like of ash flakes I would say, but that needs to be combined with some other techniques, perhaps the above.

And another one with the very simple quick explode which I also tried, some options here to get started very quickly anyway, and some tutorials.

Had there been any for Lightwave, I would have pointed to that, currently I am not keen on working that out either with the current lw status and since there is so much you can do in blender, but everyone is free to do their own and post and advice to get that effect, xswampy and bryphi77 may be able to work it all out, if they use true forces and particles or fractured pieces.

If you have tools like this at your disposal ..why not try it, if it´s not an absolute restriction on doing the effect in Lightwave, after all...the desired effect and how well it would look like and how easy must matter more than which software you use..unless you need to combine it with some other Lightwave Only features or scene context scenarios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom