Are you proud?!

kyuzo

I've only seen reference to Vizrt pulling the plug in comments. Is there a specific announcement or communication I can read to see exactly what they're saying?

#Limbowave seems to be our normal state.

prometheus

REBORN
I've only seen reference to Vizrt pulling the plug in comments. Is there a specific announcement or communication I can read to see exactly what they're saying?

#Limbowave seems to be our normal state.

Latest news from them officially in September 8, 2020, There´s nothing more than that and a vauge message between a Lightwave user and Andrew Cross.
Not much of that will make it easy for any Lw user to get to grips on what is going on no matter if you believe it will be shut down or continued, you have to form your own understanding of what may be credible based on the fuzzy details on it´s future...

LightWave Statement – LightWave 3D

desertwp

This message is for the heads of NewTek and VizRT.

The LightWave community is full of enthusiasts, occasional users, freelancers but also professionals, agencies and production studios and last but not least, developers. I'm not talking about our clients who want to see their project done with LightWave (there are some).
To you NewTek, you have put your heart, energy and resources into creating and delivering a wonderful tool that is LightWave 3D for decades.
Ever since VizRT entered the "circle," LightWave has been left behind, and now seems to be dead. As of today, there has been no clear news on the fate of LightWave. Your policy of silence is killing not just LightWave, but its community.

Are you proud to see this community disintegrate?
Are you proud to see users tearing their hearts out migrating to other software in the meantime?
Are you proud to drive users into the ground, since many use LightWave to support their families through their work!
Are you proud to see the death of a tool that has been around since Amiga?

Please be responsible, clearly state if you are still developing and supporting LightWave; if not, sell LightWave to those who see a future for this great tool, or make the code available as open source.
I realize that I am not going to convince you as I write this but I love LightWave, I use it every day. It is not a toy to be thrown in the trash, but a fabulous creative tool for artistic and professional work.
NewTek, please do all you can to ensure that your "child" named LightWave stays alive...

sylvain
I don't understand what is going on here. I have been upgrading LW for many years and like the 2020 version. I see all this death talk on the net. I pulled up the best 3D apps for 2022 and LW wasn't included. Several folks that have great LW tutorials have jump ship to Blender. The list gone on and it makes no sense. To learn an app like LW, it take hours and years. I have a good portion of my life invested here. Why the hell all this dooms day talk.

I have been using LW to engineer welding projects lately and it is good. There are a couple of things that would make it better, but paying Autocad almost 2 grand a year for a subscription sucks. A least we get to own Light Wave. Maya, seventeen hundred a year for a subscription. Bender free, but all I see there is a sea of cartoon character. LW is a serious 3D app. And I do have to agree that the developers have dropped the ball in areas. NevronMotion in particular, this is a grand idea but using an old Mircrosoft game device and leaving Mac user behind isn't cool. I just loaded Adobe's Character Animator 2020 and you can make your characters dance a jig with your usb camera.

I don't know what the basic argument is here. NewTek's product page for LW2020 looks great. Someone here was complaining about the price. A thousand dollars these days is pennies. That will let you rent Maya for half a year. I would love to fuss around with Maya, but I am a little guy, and there is no way I can throw that cash out there and buy food and pay rent at the same time.

What I am saying here is: we should be counting our blessing that we still have access to a powerful app like Light Wave. If it drops off the radar I for one will have to grin and bare it. Use what I have on my machines now, because I have to much time and equipment invested to do anything else. My part is to forget all this negative crap, and pray to God that there is LW 2022 on the horizon. Wz/Desert Wind Productions

prometheus

REBORN
I don't understand what is going on here. I have been upgrading LW for many years and like the 2020 version. I see all this death talk on the net. I pulled up the best 3D apps for 2022 and LW wasn't included. Several folks that have great LW tutorials have jump ship to Blender. The list gone on and it makes no sense. To learn an app like LW, it take hours and years. I have a good portion of my life invested here. Why the hell all this dooms day talk.

I have been using LW to engineer welding projects lately and it is good. There are a couple of things that would make it better, but paying Autocad almost 2 grand a year for a subscription sucks. A least we get to own Light Wave. Maya, seventeen hundred a year for a subscription. Bender free, but all I see there is a sea of cartoon character. LW is a serious 3D app. And I do have to agree that the developers have dropped the ball in areas. NevronMotion in particular, this is a grand idea but using an old Mircrosoft game device and leaving Mac user behind isn't cool. I just loaded Adobe's Character Animator 2020 and you can make your characters dance a jig with your usb camera.

I don't know what the basic argument is here. NewTek's product page for LW2020 looks great. Someone here was complaining about the price. A thousand dollars these days is pennies. That will let you rent Maya for half a year. I would love to fuss around with Maya, but I am a little guy, and there is no way I can throw that cash out there and buy food and pay rent at the same time.

What I am saying here is: we should be counting our blessing that we still have access to a powerful app like Light Wave. If it drops off the radar I for one will have to grin and bare it. Use what I have on my machines now, because I have to much time and equipment invested to do anything else. My part is to forget all this negative crap, and pray to God that there is LW 2022 on the horizon. Wz/Desert Wind Productions
Praying never has and never will help anyone for anything.
An existing and functional development team and Management will, and Vizrt/newtek not presenting clearly what is going on with development teams or the product..is their way of winding up and spawning negative death reactions for it´s product, rather than clearly stating what it it´s current status.

The Development team have dropped out to other software and at times declaring themself that there is no more development ( how much to trust in that is for you to decide) , or they have been re-directed to work on something else ..that is the general impression of all the talks going around.

kyuzo

Thanks prometheus.
I saw the cryptic message from Andrew, and it's nice to have hope, but I don't feel like I can get excited until we hear more.
I have invested 25+ years in Lightwave, and have two LW2019 licenses. I'm bracing myself to learn blender, but I'd much rather continue to use Lightwave as the tool I rely on for 95% of my job.

prometheus

REBORN
Thanks prometheus.
I saw the cryptic message from Andrew, and it's nice to have hope, but I don't feel like I can get excited until we hear more.
I have invested 25+ years in Lightwave, and have two LW2019 licenses. I'm bracing myself to learn blender, but I'd much rather continue to use Lightwave as the tool I rely on for 95% of my job.
No..You can´t put much trust in that, well you could, but I would certainly not, if he´s still in a major position in that Lightwave group, I wouldn´t excpect anyone in such position to bring forth such fuzzy statements, rather work with the rest of the Lightwave group or Vizrt group and do something about their communications on their blog where it should be.
But..He´s working on it he says, so take a note of that, maybe they just can´t agree internally, or still have some business obstacles if it´s about to be sold or something.

I would say go with your gut feeling for what seems as the most likely outcome of it all, keep two toes left in the Lightwave platform, and given what seems to be some Info around the lightwave path from Andrew ( which sort of by itself seem to confirm what users suspect around a current complete lack of development and path to where it will head) You can have some hope around that, but if you do not hear more from him, or any vizrt acnknowledment within 6- 8 monts, I would advice to invest learning something else as a focus, and only use lightwave when you can and need to, but don´t put any more hopes and training in it.

I myself is somewhere around that process, with more and more focus in Learning houdini and blender , and less stuff in Lightwave during these fuzzy times.
While I still find it highly enjoyable for many modeling tasks still In lightwave, and I enjoy many fractal stuff in there as well.

Last edited:

i believe he is trying.

however the statement doesn't necessarily mean that it will spring into a solution.

wait if you can.

personally i'm partly waiting.

airballoon2.gif

Vizrt has pulled the plug on LW and there are some rumors of a sale of LW to another party but nothing concrete except for a few leaked e-mails. LW still works for the time being and works well, so continue to use it and maybe learn something else on the side while you are at it.
In my opinion this is probably the only way Lightwave will live on in some way is if it's sold to another company. That could take a while so in the meantime we are left waiting and wondering.

slv

AT desertwp :

First, your speech is baseless. Look at all the diverse people who have left Lightwave's development circle. Recently dated Juanjo. And I'm not talking about users who went to Blender or whatever. With all this we can not say that LW is in a good marketing position. In my speech I never said negative things about the qualities of Lightwave, quite the contrary.

I use it for over 20 years, and I bought all the licenses and each update without exception since August 2005 (version 9.6). I start learned lw on version 7.5. I am one of the people, with many others, who have contributed to the development of Lightwave through my loyalty. I use LW again and again on a daily basis for my work.

On the other hand, I can't let you say that people who spend 2000 dollars on autocad a year suck. Each has different production constraints. Autocad for an architect is essential. Moreover, everyone does what they want with their money, and is free to spend it as they wish. We have no accounts receivable.

My basic remarks were to denounce the lack of visibility on the future of Lightwave, by the absence of communication from Vizrt, this creates collateral damage. It is harmful to Lightwave, it is harmful to the community of users which is disintegrating. The developers disappear. And it is more than regrettable. See catastrophic for agencies that have very defined production pipeline.

In this freedom which I state a little higher, you are free to count on a blessing and to pray to god. But above all, the human boost is the basis for things to change.

www.5500k.fr

prometheus

REBORN
In this freedom which I state a little higher, you are free to count on a blessing and to pray to god. But above all, the human boost is the basis for things to change.

www.5500k.fr
:D

Perhaps they( vizrt) aren´t humans but Gods, it all makes sense then not to be reasoning as most humans do, and that is why we still wait dispite any prayers.
Thumbs up for you and all your support of buying so many versions, You can feel proud at least...and a user who deserves better in terms of communication.

prometheus

REBORN
Thank you Promotheus
I do not know who Promotheus is, some other god perhaps promoting itself, I just steal things :D, and I tend to knit pick (to everyones delight of course) too often as is evident with this reply :)

The very thread start can´t be anything more than frustration (shared commonly by many users) and some desire to be poking hard on the gut belly of Vizrt, hoping to invoke some signals that may reach their consciousness and the some lobe parts of where Guilt, loyalty and decency in business and customer care is located.
Expecting them to answer in here, and sort of acknowledge, yes we are Still Proud, or No we are not proud ..we are sorry, that is most likely futile.

I am just wondering how long it would take(if we are to speculate for some self indulging venting purpose) before people would vanish from the forums with the lack of communication and no plans for a future Lightwave.
8 months or 2-3 years of repeating frustrated users, surely longer than that and most users must have gone on to something else.

Last edited:

RousseauJeremie

or virzt could open a kickstarter page even at the reach goal of 1,5 million to put LW as open source they will see if the community
is ready to pay even 500 000$ or less or more and maybe the other companies could see if it's interesting to put money and time in the dev of this software.

Top Bottom