Any recent info/rumors on LW 2021/22 ?

prometheus

REBORN
one can't go wrong with Houdini

if one can wrestle the Ui... / sub-nodes View attachment 151298

View attachment 151297

nope..not for the simulation anyway, I am more used to the shaders in Blender though, find them easier to adress as I want them, faster to render and faster in respons when changing density curves and easier to work within that nodal workflow than in Houdinis fireshader as well.
Might get up to speed more soon with houdini rendering, but I need to get the latest houdini version and try some other renders there for that.

The blender sample was only 32 samples for viewport rendering, 12 volume bounces, and the shading you can see how it was set up in the screenshot of the nodals.
Heres another one, 128 samples to clear up the noise, still a bit in there, but renders much faster than houdini, at least from those settings I had in the mantra settings.
No noise filtering in here, and you can probably crush that noise even more without noise filtering by clamping the light a bit in blender light path settings.

changed a bit with the contrast and rgb curves, initially testing a mix with temp and heat multiple pbr volume shaders, but disconnected it but had the rgb curves from one shader fed in to the blackbody tint with a nother contrast level.
A bit more contrasted detail in there, the different types of look you can get by tweaking the shaders is a lot of fun to test.
Its part of a sequence exported from houdini to vdb and to blender.
In houdini ..the pyrosim has a voxel size of 0.0355.

another sample.jpg

Without multiple scattering...check the panel to the right and the max bounces settings between these two, that is the only difference.

without multiple scattering.jpg

prometheus

REBORN
one can't go wrong with Houdini

if one can wrestle the Ui... / sub-nodes View attachment 151298

View attachment 151297

And..yes houdini UI subnodes, you really do not want to have to wrestle with all that comes within the firenode, feels it exposes too much of the whole programming code, you as an artist foremost perhaps, really do not need.
So best to focus on what you can change to get the basic results and not trying to dig in to those others.
With that in mind, in blender and in Lightwave as well for that matter, you do not have access to so many functions like in houdini, which in a way is a relief, unless you may require to do something extraordinary.

Too bad the LW renderer with this voxel size resolution vdb file, is kind of halting in rendering..had it not, then I could at least have shown the fireshading in there, but I can´t stand the slowness.
And aren´t we lucky, we can stay up one hour later this sunday morning, since we are turning the clock back one hour :)

So best to focus on what you can change to get the basic results and not trying to dig in to those others.
yes, this became a Huge challenge for me when diving "literally" into water fluids in Houdini. i honestly felt trapped.

since we are turning the clock back
almost forgot.

raymondtrace

Founding member
If for arguments sake LW has gone for the dodo look, what are the practical steps we can take to prolong current usuage ? Is it a case of grabbing workstations from Ebay or are people confident Windows 11 will run it for a while ?
Some are still running LW on Amiga OS via emulation. Even if a future Windows release breaks LW, there are options with virtual machines to run older Windows systems.

There's plenty of time to learn new tools while LW still runs...or just keep using LW.

The screenshots below are two-decade-old portable apps running on Windows 10 from my USB keychain drive. Code can live on. I'm not worried.

1635645479127.png

1635646521772.png

prometheus

REBORN
Some are still running LW on Amiga OS via emulation. Even if a future Windows release breaks LW, there are options with virtual machines to run older Windows systems.

There's plenty of time to learn new tools while LW still runs...or just keep using LW.

The screenshots below are two-decade-old portable apps running on Windows 10 from my USB keychain drive. Code can live on. I'm not worried.

Yet, you will be faced with new challenges and demands in graphic output, that neither older machines or older versions are capable of meeting up, and that goes as well even for the current latest LW release.
If you are satisfied with that level, fine..but if you demand more and on par to what is new features and technology..you should worry and start using something else.
You can for instance exlude vdb work with everything older than 2018, some may be fine with that..others not.

Rayek

Yet, you will be faced with new challenges and demands in graphic output, that neither older machines or older versions are capable of meeting up, and that goes as well even for the current latest LW release.

While I agree that that would be the case for competitive 3d work, it does depend on the situation. For example, I still use a portable version of Deluxe paint (Amiga AGA version) for pixel art! :)

prometheus

REBORN
While I agree that that would be the case for competitive 3d work, it does depend on the situation. For example, I still use a portable version of Deluxe paint (Amiga AGA version) for pixel art! :)
Of course, and don´t forget the paper and the pencil.:D
I also hope to get back to some projects/shading stuff with older than 2015 versions, since I can use the simbiont fractal shaders with the older versions, but not the newer LW versions.

simbiont fractal sun.jpg

raymondtrace

Founding member
...If you are satisfied with that level, fine..but if you demand more and on par to what is new features and technology..you should worry and start using something else...
I would only worry if I was unaware that the competing applications have been around for decades. However, I cannot imagine anyone so out of touch. There has been plenty of time to migrate if those alternative tools were more useful. I've been donating to Blender for over a decade and certainly have no problem using it. At this moment, my work just gets done more quickly in LW.

This clown used old tools. He still did alright.

prometheus

REBORN
I would only worry if I was unaware that the competing applications have been around for decades. However, I cannot imagine anyone so out of touch. There has been plenty of time to migrate if those alternative tools were more useful. I've been donating to Blender for over a decade and certainly have no problem using it. At this moment, my work just gets done more quickly in LW.

This clown used old tools. He still did alright.

Wouldn´t call him a clown though :)
He reached an remarkable age, for that time (88 years old)

And that piece of marble wasn´t of the best quality, other artist demed it unworkable.
A shame to hide parts of his artwork though, how we men look based on our very nature, nothting to be ashamed of or supposed ot be offensive.

Qexit

This is not a Deluxe paint/amiga forum..or a place to post stuff about that:devilish::devilish::p:eek:

Just kidding, it´s actually fine with me :)
Hehe, it's alright. I think pretty much everyone on here knows that I am a lifelong collector/borderline hoarder of lots of things and will take any opportunity to post examples from my collection :)

For example, these are a couple of bookshelves in my back bedroom. There's a fair amount of LW books and such on there...to bring things back on topic :)
My Back Bedroom Hoard Forum.jpg

Top Bottom