Any recent info/rumors on LW 2021/22 ?

glw

I received an email from Customer Support regarding a bug report I'd submitted a couple months ago so that's a good sign. They asked for my serial number, which I thought was really odd. Either way, it was good to see that someone responded.

genesis1

Basically I feel the harsh reality is... LW is dead development wise. Vizrt are just taking the piss out of existing customers with their attitude. The statement they have on their blog about continuing support is pure BS, if not where is that support??
The attitude of not telling customers about any development or that there are developments coming is pure BS and a great way to lose customers.
They don't care about LW or its customer base.
Like a vulture, they are just picking over the bones of LW for any juicy bits they can consume themselves.

We are all left as this nerdy niche group to squabble amongst ourselves while they laugh at us in the background.
It's not a good feeling, but I will still continue using LW in combination with other software. Just as Scotty always loved the Enterprise. I still love LW ;)

prometheus

REBORN
I received an email from Customer Support regarding a bug report I'd submitted a couple months ago so that's a good sign. They asked for my serial number, which I thought was really odd. Either way, it was good to see that someone responded.

Can´t really see why that would be odd though, they must ensure they provide support to those who have paid for a legitim version of Lightwave.
One may assume they could have find that within the bug report perhaps, but if not..it makes all sense in the world to ask for the serial number, license etc.

But please, do get back to us when you got the bug confirmed as being worked on :) or solved., or get back within 6 months or a year or so to confirm that nothing was adressed so we know more about how the support is really taken care of as a potentional further sign wether or not they seem to shut it all down.

do get back to us when you got the bug confirmed as being worked on :) or solved.,
yes, i think this it where the real deal lies.

there was the 2020.03 bug fix tho'
didn't expect that. but there were Major issues, so they basically had to.
don't think they solved it for Mac tho', and probably maybe NT won't, since Apple is tossing the OpenGL system out the window.

apple-mac-meh-96.png

Last edited:

raymondtrace

Founding member
...don't think they solved it for Mac tho'...
The critical bug resolved in 2020.0.3 was only relevant to Windows users. It was not an issue on Mac.

The only thing that Mac users missed on the 2020.0.3 update was UE4.26 compatibility. Mac users are stuck with UE4.25. There's no need for envy from Mac users though, as UE keeps advancing (4.27 and 5.0 now).

ELinder

Mac support has always, shall we say lagged. Considering Apple is now officially a contributor to the Blender development, this may push a lot of Mac users, myself included, to dipping our toes into Blender.

Markc

ack ack
I am stuck in my ways, and too lazy to try and learn a whole new workflow with a new app.
Only a hobbyist, so LW will chug on.... ;)

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Elinder, unlikely, any more than AMD, AWS, Epic, Facebook, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia or Unity joining the Blender Development Fund caused any meaningful percentages of their customers (even "3D-interested" ones) to explore Blender.

Considering how many customers the listed companies represent, had even a tiny percentage-fraction of their total customers pushed to explore Blender, that would give Blender massively more 3D userbase than all other 3D GP DCC apps combined. That obviously did not occur at or after their joining BDF, so there's no solid basis for thinking Apple's joining BDF will have a different result.

I'm just saying don't read too much into it, tech corporations join those kinds of FOSS development funds all the time, to hedge bets, for politics, and for tax benefits, among many other reasons. Rarely are their customers influenced or even aware of such actions (other than those already interested).

Last edited:

pauland

LW Watcher
Elinder, unlikely, any more than AMD, AWS, Epic, Facebook, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia or Unity joining the Blender Development Fund caused any meaningful percentages of their customers (even "3D-interested" ones) to explore Blender.

Considering how many customers the listed companies represent, had even a tiny percentage-fraction of their total customers pushed to explore Blender, that would give Blender massively more 3D userbase than all other 3D GP DCC apps combined. That obviously did not occur at or after their joining BDF, so there's no solid basis for thinking Apple's joining BDF will have a different result.
Maybe Apple is helping Blender migrate to Metal from OpenGL?

jwiede

Electron wrangler
Maybe Apple is helping Blender migrate to Metal from OpenGL?
I suspect that may be part of it, and politically it's also likely to ensure continued Blender Mac (and maybe iOS) support.

Large corporations' actions are transactional at levels most would have difficulty imagining, let alone tracking or fully understanding.

Last edited:

ELinder

The blurb I read specicifically mentioned Apple helping with Metal integration and future Mac OS support. Also I'm sure it's Apple wanting to have as many apps as possible as soon as possible running natively on their new M1 and later CPU platform.
Back to LW, I got an automated reply for a bug report I sent in today. We'll see if I get an actual human response, but I'm not holding my breath.

stevmjon

Elinder, did the robot say thanks for your input and that he loves you and will continue to support the current version of lightwave, or did it just take the request then fart in your general direction?

ELinder

Actually, part of the automated reply included this line, which I don't remember seeing from previous bug reports.

This is only a confirmation that your inquiry has been received. An analyst will be providing a response to your message, generally within two business days.

raymondtrace

Founding member
I recently received an email too.

I don't recall how long ago I submitted the original report. I'm guessing at least a month earlier. It was to advise that the standard reporting system was still not linking to a valid resource (they could at least remove the link from our lightwave3d.com account pages if it is not going anywhere).

This October 11 email does not make any sense. It seems like I am being asked to submit a bug inquiry in their response to my original bug inquiry to which they are now replying. My tiny head hurts.

lwbugsystem.png

TheLexx

@ raymondtrace, I think they may have let something slip there. There is only one way that reads to me. As in, what developer document would that be then ? A Lightwave developer document ? That no bugs are being fixed right now, but are all being collected and put in this mysterious developer document. That's how it comes over to me. Otherwise why would he reply at all ? Guy even gave his name (!) I can say there are LW users who do not post so much here, but do feel that LW2022 will be forthcomng, but I know we've been down this road before, and am also aware I may be asking for both barrels on this... :)

raymondtrace

Founding member
A "developer document" is not extraordinary. Nor is it extraordinary that bugs are not fixed in the present release. There's not really a legal obligation for a developer to provide continued product development after a sale. Issues can be collected for resolution in the next release.

I have also used the system at lightwave3d.com to report malware on ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/modeling that remains a year later. That's one of those "no-brainer" things that a company should not ignore.

glw

Can´t really see why that would be odd though, they must ensure they provide support to those who have paid for a legitim version of Lightwave.
One may assume they could have find that within the bug report perhaps, but if not..it makes all sense in the world to ask for the serial number, license etc.

But please, do get back to us when you got the bug confirmed as being worked on :) or solved., or get back within 6 months or a year or so to confirm that nothing was adressed so we know more about how the support is really taken care of as a potentional further sign wether or not they seem to shut it all down.
I get that. It was just weird to me cuz it was the first time in years of bug-reporting that I've ever been asked for my serial.

Anyway, 🤞.

Top Bottom