Any recent info/rumors on LW 2021/22 ?

prometheus

REBORN
Evidence is lucid in a case like this.

Anyone should really flip the coin and ask, what evidence are there as to Lightwave being developed still?

Or clean the glasses from dirt before watching all the signs there are about the development, to make sure you do not miss all the signs on where it is right now.
There are signs in which developers have left, and also what some former newtek staf themself have said about the absense of current development, and the signs of how
Newtek/vizrt handles it´s rumour control with their blog statements.
and there are signs in the form of absence of recruitment.

It´s pretty evident based " on all signs" there is No current development, but that doesn´t mean anything until they say it´s over, or a decade has passed, it could still be sold, or it can be put on hold till they have sorted things out, though I doubt it.

Ask those who knows and should tell, is of course a no no, you will only get " talk to the hand"

I believe the happiest outcome that would cheer up most users probably, that would be if we soon would get a confirmation of Lightwave being sold to another company given the current lightwave "development"

Last edited:

Tim Parsons

I believe the happiest outcome that would cheer up most users probably, that would be if we soon would get a confirmation of Lightwave being sold to another company given the current lightwave "development"
Yes - that indeed would be awesome news. I wouldn't even care who it went to at this point - just anybody.

prometheus

REBORN
Even without further development LW will continue to meet our needs. (As long as it continues to still function with new OS's and graphics cards that may come in the future :))

It will not meet All our needs, only a few of us within that range, and the rest it will not meet their needs, so it will meet some needs for some and All needs for a few.

:D

prometheus

REBORN
Yes - that indeed would be awesome news. I wouldn't even care who it went to at this point - just anybody.

Autodesk?
:eek:

Then again, by all means if they have the truest development intentions, I do not see how that could be any worse than none active development or worse from a company declaring they can´t say If they are continueing to develop something, which is seemingly what All signs proclaim today.

RPSchmidt

It will not meet All our needs, only a few of us within that range, and the rest it will not meet their needs, so it will meet some needs for some and All needs for a few.

:D
I haven't read a more accurate description of every 3d software application I have ever used ;)

No matter what I end up using, I always reach a point where I hear myself say "If X only did Y". Depending on the software, multiple times.

prometheus

REBORN
I haven't read a more accurate description of every 3d software application I have ever used ;)

No matter what I end up using, I always reach a point where I hear myself say "If X only did Y". Depending on the software, multiple times.

Sure, that is one point for itselt, but irrelevant to what I answered to, it doesn´t meet all the needs. :)
Besides that, as a none developed it is proned to meet less needs than any other software still developed...for each year passing.

So despite you having a good point, the point doesn´t elevate the Lightwave status in any means because that particular similarity to any other software(which only will be true for a shorter time), nor will it comfort those finding themself watching the decay understanding that it can´t have the same level as any other software developed.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
Strictly speaking of OUR needs. Your mileage may vary. :)

I need that core draw a box or a circle, and it will create one :)
Just recalled that since I now have a simple illustrator course, and looking at the shaper tool, which does that in 2d :)

Seriously, not the first tool I would like to see being zombied back from the core programe.

Rayek

How true.

I am learning Houdini, and I miss all the little conveniences from Blender. I can't simply do quick look-dev like with GPU Cycles. But in Blender I now miss things I can do easily in Houdini (that terrain generator is brilliant, for example). And I've been working in C4D once more at work this past year, and I now miss the easy material management in both Blender and Houdini.

And so on.

prometheus

REBORN
  • Last plugin update on the Lightwave plugin database is a bit over a year ago(may 2020), It´s not very encouraging.
    Though I think some developers may have updated their tools, as well as some not actually being reported to that lis, but the maintainance of that list isn´t synched, as well as lesser people actually working on any third party plugins...It seems. :(

• Last news update on the blog over a year ago, (september 2020)

• Last update on the Lightwave newsletters over 3 years ago.

This is a perfect way to display how to NOT keep customers interested in a product.
It´s either intentional perfectly according to their designs...If they had the plan to end the lightwave development, or simply a disaster in marketing the product based on unintentional actions or lack of actions needed.

Last edited:

prometheus

REBORN
The Big question is wether or not they (vizrt/newtek) knows where it is heading, like if they know for sure they gonna shut it down, or sell it, or if they still evaluate the whole thing.
And the question would then be, should the communicate it based on their business agenda without any obligation or loyalty towards previous customers, or should they tell us exactly how it is ..(if they for sure know they are gonna end it) and let us give the benefit of that as we decide which tool we may invest in on further, if not it seems it would only be business from a not so honest point of view towards customers, how would that affect Vizrt as a brand overall in the end, when the truth reveals itself?

I mean, if the secrecy around development is based upon a development policy to protect their development for this "still" developed software, it would make all sense in the world to at least Tell everyone they still intend to develop.

If the secrecy around development isn´t about it being alive, and they just wan´t to milk it where they can, that cows milk will dry out and everyone will find out sooner or later and when that hit´s, the brand of Vizrt/newtek as a company will not get good reviews, and would be potentionally harmful to them as a company.

So in all honesty, for everyones good, I think they would be better of to tell the truth straight out directly, people wouldn´t be happy..but since it was a transition buy out within these companies, they would at least later regain a reputation of being honest.

David_CGC

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Vizrt developing Lightwave at 31 Flavors last night. I guess they're pretty serious.

Rayek

anonymous source said that they are working on a 2022 (might be fake news)
Does it matter anymore at this point? Even some of the most loyal LW users are migrating (or begun to) to alternative DCCs.

I agree with @prometheus : Vizrt's/Newtek's behaviour towards its LW customers is shameful, bordering on the ridiculous. How is it possible for a respectful company to neglect and ignore your users in this manner?
Just come clean about LW's future, explain the situation to your users and allow them to prepare for the upcoming few years.

What on Earth is management thinking here? I really do not understand, because this is the worst possible way to treat your customers. There must be some people working at Newtek or Vizrt who empathize. I fail to understand the reasoning or motivation. it isn't helping them or their customers.

PS it is called a "rumor"; "fake news" is something very different. ;)

prometheus

REBORN
Does it matter anymore at this point? Even some of the most loyal LW users are migrating (or begun to) to alternative DCCs.

I agree with @prometheus : Vizrt's/Newtek's behaviour towards its LW customers is shameful, bordering on the ridiculous. How is it possible for a respectful company to neglect and ignore your users in this manner?
Just come clean about LW's future, explain the situation to your users and allow them to prepare for the upcoming few years.

What on Earth is management thinking here? I really do not understand, because this is the worst possible way to treat your customers. There must be some people working at Newtek or Vizrt who empathize. I fail to understand the reasoning or motivation. it isn't helping them or their customers.

PS it is called a "rumor"; "fake news" is something very different. ;)
Yup, seems we have the same perspective and impression, you a bit more direct to the essence of what it should be called though.

If ...it´s in their eye all about business sucking money without any regards to any eventual good reputation from former customers, and from their point of view without any fear of how that will impact them overall in the future as a company, they are certainly on the right track.

I would guess there are people at newtek and vizrt sympathizing with former customers and the current situation, but they are probably protecting their position as well, so mouth closed.

It wouldn´t make me so cheerful hearing If they have decided to shut it down completly, or decided to put it on hold, or to sell it, or to extract data from it and incorporate to the vizrt products, but it would certainly be better for me as a former loyal customer to hear that, and let put me in to a position where it is easy for me to decide where to spend my time, which plugins I should invest in for Lightwave or not etc.

sadkkf

Plays with fire
No matter what the current state of LightWave is, I've personally moved on.

The number and usefulness of new features in the last few releases has been disappointing to put it mildly, IMO. Too many features are either buggy or needing workarounds. I just gave up.

Fine, if they want to release a new and stable version with a modern toolset, I'd give it a look, but I just can't believe that's happening.

Top Bottom