Any recent info/rumors on LW 2021/22 ?

Rayek

Yes, as I mentioned earlier: I took your words at face value. Apologies. Jest and humor is sometimes difficult to discern in forum posts.

Black-and-white statements and black-and-white thinkers are something very different in my experience... Anyhoo, not important.

Not sure if karma is there with houdini apprentice latest version?
It's there. I had to use the Apprentice version until I got access to the educational one this week.

prometheus

REBORN
Yes, as I mentioned earlier: I took your words at face value. Apologies. Jest and humor is sometimes difficult to discern in forum posts.

Black-and-white statements and black-and-white thinkers are something very different in my experience... Anyhoo, not important.

It's there. I had to use the Apprentice version until I got access to the educational one this week.

Great, I need to update then, I am just a bit afraid they may have put limits on some export functions.
Have you checked to export a cloud vdb or something from Houdini, would be nice to see that works before I update.
How to export I described in my earlier posts, should work. :)

Blah..and it´s time for bed, I forgot you now got the educational version, so logic says...Bedtime :)

LightWaveGuru

I would probably say that @LightWaveGuru is more qualified to inform us on LW's VDB's strengths, weaknesses and therefore its value, than someone who uses LW who has little to no STEM background or experience.

If given the choice as to who to listen to, I know which one I'd choose.

Open VDB in LightWave is a great tool. You can use it for simulating/animating and modeling. The best way to use and understand open vdb in LightWave is to have used node editors before and understand the way behind the principle of the node editor. Otherwise I can only say that the access to a software function always depends on the own abstraction ability because especially Open VDB with the Node Editor requires abstraction ability. In any case, the website https://www.openvdb.org/documentation/ helps, because Open VDB is explained there in detail. LightWave has implemented many of the functions of Open VDB as nodes. So you can get the knowledge about Open VDB also from this website. In the end, however, whenever you learn new functions/tools, it's a lot of trial and error. What works will be used and applied and what does not work will be discarded.

snip LWGuru

mav3rick

HARDCORE PIMP
maybe some sort of online petition could push them (viz) to do somethin about lw status. i am sure lots of LW past and current users would sign it.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
maybe some sort of online petition could push them (viz) to do somethin about lw status. i am sure lots of LW past and current users would sign it.
In order for a petition to be effective, you'd have to have fact based evidence to support the thing that you are petitioning.

Do you have or know of any?

skycgi

Based on what I've read from this thread, is it true that Newtek fired all of the Lightwave programmers? Is Lightwave still in active development right now?

is it true that Newtek fired all of the Lightwave programmers? I
Unsure, VZ/NT changed focus, and the result was that many LW people decided to leave.
Unsure if someone was let go. And you probably won't find that info here.
Is Lightwave still in active development right now?
Nope.
Will it be sold to someone else? That's a Huge maybe.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Based on what I've read from this thread, is it true that Newtek fired all of the Lightwave programmers? Is Lightwave still in active development right now?
Is any of the things that you've read in this thread "true"?

Given that the word true requires empirical evidence, then no. None of it is "true". Most, if not all, is pure speculation.

Last edited:

pauland

LW Watcher
Is any of the things that you've read in this thread "true"?

Given that the word true requires empirical evidence, then no. None of it is "true". Most, if not all, is pure speculation.
What is true is that there's been no substantial releases for over a year and there's been no word from any official source about LW whatsoever. Several people have also noted a lack of support for bugs that have been submitted. If there is a development team they have a pretty cushy job and their probably gaming with the LW marketing team to pass the time.

If LW was a living thing doctors would be pronouncing death some time ago.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
If LW was a living thing doctors would be pronouncing death some time ago.
You must know some pretty crappy doctors then.

I for one would never want to be attended to by a doctor that would pronounce something that's living as being dead.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
There are no signs of life as far as development and marketing go.
Well, I guess you would know since you obviously have a seat at the table during the NT/VizRT strategy meetings and have full knowledge of what's going inside the company.

pauland

LW Watcher
Well, I guess you would know since you obviously have a seat at the table during the NT/VizRT strategy meetings and have full knowledge of what's going inside the company.
A marketing strategy that creates no marketing material. A development strategy that creates no new releases. Those meetings must start with "Any other business?"..

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
A marketing strategy that creates no marketing material. A development strategy that creates no new releases. Those meetings must start with "Any other business?"..
No, the strategy meeting that works out operations of the company as a whole and how every element in the company fits into the larger plan.

That strategy meeting. The one you're privvy to and allows you to make statements here with such authority and authenticity.

pauland

LW Watcher
No, the strategy meeting that works out operations of the company as a whole and how every element in the company fits into the larger plan.

That strategy meeting. The one you're privvy to and allows you to make statements here with such authority and authenticity.
Strategy meetings are for product in active development. The only strategy that is evident is to continue taking money.

I'll let you continue with your rose-tinted glasses. Enjoy.

Shabazzy

LightWave Fan Boi
Well, if by that you mean basing my decisions and views on facts, and empirical evidence then yes, I will enjoy my rose tinted glasses.

Thank you.

raymondtrace

Founding member
...is it true that Newtek fired all of the Lightwave programmers?...

...Given that the word true requires empirical evidence, then no. None of it is "true"...

I was worried that statement about "true" might be true. After reviewing my own posts, I can confirm what I've posted is all true and supported by evidence. :D

No, not all of the LightWave programmers were fired. Many of the team are gone. Go to "Help->About LightWave 3D" to see those that worked on it. Then look those names up on LinkedIn to see where most are now.

For those seeking optimism, look to the unintentionally reversed decision to deprecate lscript. Lscript now seems to have a healthy future because non-existent newer releases of LightWave will not break it. Vincent and others can still craft nifty tools like this. https://forums.newtek.com/threads/legato-selector.165236/

Top Bottom