Allow Double Alpha Wipes

Richvideo

DVEs

@Richvideo

What types of DVEs are you looking for in the future? We are always asking customers and potential customers what they need. It will help us create products you need for your productions. Leo Laporte from TWIT (This Week in Tech) uses and loves our stuff.

I like these
http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=429&tab=t3#tabs

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=509&tab=t3#tabs

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=508&tab=t3#tabs

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=433&tab=t3#tabs

If sales are not that great, why bother to do the work yourself? Work a deal out with DJ and split the profit. You do the marketing for the Newtek DVE add ons packs.

DiscreetFX

Make Your Films Effective
I don't think Swipes are selling well either, over the weekend DJ had an offer to get a Swipes of your choice for $1. DiscreetFX does not want to be in that bottom feeding business. Our animators get paid royalty per sale. We would not sell for $1 or even $10 and loose money. It would not be fair to our LW 3D animators that work hard to create the animations.

Richvideo

I don't think Swipes are selling well either, over the weekend DJ had an offer to get a Swipes of your choice for $1. DiscreetFX does not want to be in that bottom feeding business. Our animators get paid royalty per sale. We would not sell for $1 or even $10 and loose money. It would not be fair to our LW 3D animators that work hard to create the animations.

:)
You would have to ask David Hebel about his ideas related to sales of his products.
He has done well in a hard tech biz since 92.

DiscreetFX

I know David, he is a great guy and a smart business man. We don't run our content creation operation out of India so can't afford to and don't want to sell products created by our hard working talented LW3D 9.5 animators for $1-10 dollars. Different business models I guess. If that means we sell a few less product so be it. Business because of the current economy collapse will be slow for the next 12-18 months minimum anyway no matter how cheap luxury software products cost. Selling products at that low of a price can't sustain a US based business long term.

Well DJ was selling your choice of one swipe set for $1 if you purchase anything else $16.95 or more. They were closing out some of their Jumpbacks that they made plenty of money on. In the last week I probably spent over $100 in specials from them and got to see some of their new stuff too so I guess their marketing is working.

DiscreetFX

DJ makes some great products and if selling Swipes for $1 if you spend $16.95 works for them cool. We will not be doing business that way though.

Well they were selling off old products that are being discontinued. Makes sense for them I guess, and when they come out with new products at full price they increased their customer base who will probably buy what they need at full price.

Sometimes it pays to help us "bottom feeders" now so when things get better in the future we will remember and buy then as well.

DiscreetFX

I totally understand Rich, it never hurts to get a great deal on software and DJ has offered a lot of them. We are also DJ customers, not Swipes but SoundFX and VideoTraxx. We sold DJ some of their first hard drives at great low prices back in 1994 when they were a very tiny company and DiscreetFX was not even born yet. David & Viv have worked hard since the Amiga days and have a cool outfit. If you want something free or cheap from us you could always listen to NewsTek.

LOL

http://www.amigaz.org/category/newstek/

We did offer a DVE collection for free back in Halloween 2007, steal a fantasy promotion. FantasyFX for free, it crashed our website and we sent out hundreds of CD-ROMs of the product for free. A costly expense for us I might add. That was a one time good deal though. We also have contests from time to time.

Last edited:

Richvideo

I know David, he is a great guy and a smart business man. We don't run our content creation operation out of India so can't afford to and don't want to sell products created by our hard working talented LW3D 9.5 animators for $1-10 dollars. Different business models I guess. If that means we sell a few less product so be it. Business because of the current economy collapse will be slow for the next 12-18 months minimum anyway no matter how cheap luxury software products cost. Selling products at that low of a price can't sustain a US based business long term.

I agree,
I don't mind paying a fair price for a quality product that I can make use of.
My point was since Dave's creation costs are lower than yours and you don't want to invest time and money into a product that you are not sure will sell, does it not make sense to see if Dave will sell the collections to you for a wholesale price and you do the conversion and charge what you feel is fair for a niche product to us Newtek users?

I remember that, very good marketing as well. I was only kidding with the bottom feeder comment, no hard feelings! :)

Things are tough in my area for video production and many have slashed prices just to stay a float. Times won't stay bad forever and someday we can all get back to regular pricing.

Back to the original subject, making a DVE out of the Alpha Swipes is a great idea because it does make them easier to use in SE/VT5SE but would all welcome the ability to have more power in SE as well.

I had ordered the gonna celebrate one! Very nice! Great for event video.

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Remember, Eric Pratt had a few collections of DVEs he made for VT... They didn't sell well and he withdrew them.

It's hard getting VT users to part with their money, a number of third-party developers can tell you that.

Harder than other NLE users? Perhaps.

Richvideo

Dve

Remember, Eric Pratt had a few collections of DVEs he made for VT... They didn't sell well and he withdrew them.

It's hard getting VT users to part with their money, a number of third-party developers can tell you that.

I had every Eric Pratt collection my name was actually on the credits for one set because of my input, they were good but still looked like Flyer DVEs and some of them were just weird.ex A flying syringe ??? They don't compare to the DJ stuff.

I feel that the third party add ons do not sell well because the VT was not made to work with them..The integration is not as clean and the add ons might not have the power to speed things up as much as some After Effects plugins do. I buy plugins all the time for After Effects because many of them are powerful and help me create a better final product easily.

DiscreetFX

@Richvideo

It could also be because the economy is in the toilet. If you want to try some new DVEs we can give you FTP access to five new ones from the CarFX Metal & Chrome collection.

I purchased Eric's DVEs, I still use them today. The wedding DVE pack is very useful as well as the Triad pack. They we not cheesie effects, they were very well done and fit into many event situations. I don't over use them but used in the correct place really spices up the video.

Bobt

Creator of BobFX for VT
It was harder than he wanted. If the lw plugin did more and did it better then maybe there would be more. Lw connect was cool but the limitations in lw made it very hard to do. Robert Wilson can tell. You how hard it was.

Richvideo

I purchased Eric's DVEs, I still use them today. The wedding DVE pack is very useful as well as the Triad pack. They we not cheesie effects, they were very well done and fit into many event situations. I don't over use them but used in the correct place really spices up the video.

I still use them too, since that is all I have a choice of....They were good for the time. Some of the wedding ones were the ones that I asked him to create.
These DVE's were made a long time ago. The CPUs were slower back then.
It took a CRAZY amount of time to render and compile the DVEs. The compiler was slow and buggy. Eric busted his butt making them and it is appreciated.

Today we have better tools for creating graphic content for this system. The computers render faster, LW is better, you have nice particle generators like Particle illusion.If Eric had this stuff back then I think that he would have made more sets.

Top Bottom