Ai image-upscaler - free-ish online

source is 750x750 pixels limit
result is a 4x upscale (3000x3000px)

one click solution.

good for portraits etc. (sometimes impressive, depends)
close to Gigapixels quality

zyro-upscale.gif

prometheus

REBORN
source is 750x750 pixels limit
result is a 4x upscale (3000x3000px)

one click solution.

good for portraits etc. (sometimes impressive, depends)
close to Gigapixels quality

View attachment 153044

Tested it on photos of a group of people, that´s the tough one since it has to upscale such tiny features on many faces, not sure if it also uses same face refinement algorithm as
Topaz, the problem is when the faces has for instance shadows under their eyes, the upscaler can not calculate the true softness that is need with shadows on a face, it oftens sharpen it and the faces get´s uggly artifacts, sometimes looking like monsters.

So...well, for free perhaps, but I actually think a comparison with an image I did, using the upscale filter dcci2x in kritas Gmic filter did a better job of maintaining detail, it doesn´t smooth out the faces, so too much noise perhaps, but it maintains the look of the face more accurate, while this online tool smooths out most detail, to a point where the faces are not looking the same.

There´s Still not Super Awesome AI tool or image enhancer that does that any good, it needs better algorithms and " understand" what is face shadows and how to deal with them, and where eyes and mouth start etc.

Topazface refinement sort of hacks this by replacing eyes with god knows which image library it has for it´s disposal, sometimes it looks good, but the images replaced are not accurate in terms of following exactly what a person is lookin at, or exactly conforming to how the original lips looked like.

Sample of one face such as above is much easier to get a cleaner image on, so a small picture of one individual, fine, a small picture of a group of people, and it´s not gonna be fantastic.

There´s Still not Super Awesome AI tool or image enhancer that does that any good,
it needs better algorithms and " understand" what is face shadows and how to deal with them, and where eyes and mouth start etc.
indeed, closer by the day, but not there yet. probably in 5+ years.

zyro-image.jpg

slacer

To speed things up:

You could combine your upscaler with Flowframes Video Interpolator and render only at half resolution and only every other frame.
I tried it with Topas Video Enhance AI:

1. Import the half resolution image sequence (only every other frame)
  2. Let Topaz upscale and denoise those frames. The result is an mp4 video file.
  3. Place this video into Flowframes queue and let it process this file.
You decide if the quality is good enough for a small Youtube clip or for a production preview in early stages during design/composition/...

It helps me to save time and allows me to try more modifications in a short time before final rendering at full scale on multiple render nodes.

Flowframes Video Interpolator

was actually about to post a new thread on it.

looks to be good for a lot of stuff,

but one could get into problems where >
- overlapping occurs
- object moves fast
- thin lines (thin toon hair etc /fur)

can be worth it definitely

I've been trying this one for a few months or so:

https://github.com/upscayl/upscayl

Upscayl requires a compatible GPU (see the github page for more info).

It's quite fast using my modest Nvidia 1660 Ti GPU.

100% open source, on github and an actual app you run locally on your Windows/MacOS/Linux workstation.

Present version has just a couple options (photo or graphic mode) and just does 4x AI upscale.

The next version is due in a couple weeks or so. Looking over the project's github "Issues" forum, the author is receptive to user input. So the next version will (probably) have more options - including more scaling size options.

I've used it on both photo and graphics images. Works great upscaling large (>1k) texture maps to get nice super high rez bitmaps. I'm fairly impressed, despite the limited scaling options. Looking forward to the next release.

Top Bottom