Adobe 3D

raymondtrace

Founding member
I keep seeing rumors that the Steam version will vanish soon but it is still there. And right now it is 34% off until July 8 (only $99 USD in my market).

If it works better than the recent Steam reviews, this would be a good deal.

If it works better than the recent Steam reviews, this would be a good deal.
didn't find
what's the catch (s) ?

raymondtrace

Founding member
Negative reviews are floating to the top of the "most helpful" list. Maybe that's just how the Steam audience works...or maybe those that vote up these negative reviews are just trolling Adobe's subscription practices. There are good reviews off to the side as well, under the "recently posted" section.

67% of all 233 Steam user reviews are positive. However only 36% of the 98 reviews made in the past 30 days are positive.

Markc

ack ack
In all the upgrades I have done with 3d Coat it has not imported my purchased smart materials a single time using migrate. It has failed every time and I end up doing it manually.
Ahhh, I have never bought any smart materials (no need now either with 2021.... ;) ).
But all my custom materials all come in.

If you don't create a copy of the 3dcoat folder (the prefs folder, not the application folder) this will be overwritten when you launch a new version, if it is the same series, i.e. 4.9.##

If you don't create a copy of the 3dcoat folder (the prefs folder, not the application folder) this will be overwritten when you launch a new version, if it is the same series, i.e. 4.9.##
could hurt...

RPSchmidt

Ahhh, I have never bought any smart materials (no need now either with 2021.... ;) ).
But all my custom materials all come in.

That is what I found out, yes. Of course, I didn't figure that out until 3 or four point upgrades down the road.

But for some reason, even after I copied my prefs folder, it still didn't correctly load the purchased smart materials. Go figure.

If I don't have to worry about that anymore with 2021, I will be thrilled.

Rayek

Adobe just released an official Blender add-on to load Substances directly, with texture parameters (if applicable). It loads native SBSAR files and renders bitmap textures. All PBR material channels are automatically populated.

Just tested it: this first release is rather good. Combine this with the recently Fluent Materializer add-on to quickly mix materials, and it is texturing heaven.

PS also discovered on the same page a plugin is released to auto-rig and animate Mixamo characters straight in Blender. Will check that out tomorrow.

Tim Parsons

Just tested it: this first release is rather good. Combine this with the recently Fluent Materializer add-on to quickly mix materials, and it is texturing heaven.
Yeah once I get more (if ever) familiar and with Blender, Fluent Materializer looks like a must have. Substance (and anything from Adobe) is a no go. :)

The Dommo

Globally Illuminated
Same. I subscribe to CC because it's fundamental to my work; but I am disappointed that so much creative software is switching to subscription models. Red Giant sells out to Maxon, goes subscription...

Although I've not checked out the details of 'this' yet, I honestly don't have a problem with subscriptions if it's for tools that earn you a lviing. It makes perfect business sense. It allows predictable cashflow so you know almost exactly where you're at, and so know how many developers or marketers or whatever you need you can afford.

LW should have been subscription based long ago. I'm not saying it had to be expensive. Even just $20/mo. But it would have allowed real constant development, and not just be left to die. Even though Blender is 'free' you can still choose to subscribe and support its development.

Rayek

Yeah once I get more (if ever) familiar and with Blender, Fluent Materializer looks like a must have. Substance (and anything from Adobe) is a no go. :)

The Substance add-on is free, and merely opens the door to the many free sbsbar substance material files which can be downloaded for free on the web. For example:

raymondtrace

Founding member
There's also the free Substance Player, which can open those same free sbsar and sbs files to generate materials for use with LightWave. https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/sp31/substance-player-2294742.html

The Substance add-on is free...

It is not completely free. I had to turn off a lot of my web browser's privacy add-ons to navigate Adobe's site. A substantial portion of Adobe's revenue now comes from invasive user/marketing analytics.

Even without the fancy analytics hiding in the background, artists are giving up useful data to Adobe...allowing Adobe to determine how much of a market they can grab from Blender as they further develop the Substance line of 3D apps.

Is this new? https://share-beta.substance3d.com/ It appears in the Blender addon code.

Rayek

@raymondtrace I browse the web with Firefox, Ultimate adblocker, Duckduckgo Privacy essentials (which restrict social media cross domain cookies, etc.), and Adobe's site works without issues.

But you are correct that Adobe is collecting a lot of information. I use a dummy Adobe account separate from my work account and use a VPN to work around these things, but it is not for everyone...

The add-on includes two buttons which open Adobe's substance assets pages in the browser. That link opens Adobe's free substances repository.

There's also the free Substance Player, which can open those same free sbsar and sbs files to generate materials for use with LightWave. https://substance3d.adobe.com/documentation/sp31/substance-player-2294742.html

Yes, I am aware of the player, but it is quite a lot of extra work to plug in those images. The Blender add-on adds a nice ready to use node tree, and it takes 5 clicks to assign a new sbsar material to any object.

Once loaded, it takes two clicks to assign a substance material to any other object. It really invites experimentation and is super convenient. And resolution of the textures may be changed on the fly from 256px up to 4096px at any time. Parameters may be changed in real-time as well.

Time is the only thing I can't get back, so if this add-on allows me to load substance materials in 5 seconds instead of several minutes (not including changes and adjustments!), then I am all for it.

raymondtrace

Founding member
@raymondtrace I browse the web with Firefox, Ultimate adblocker, Duckduckgo Privacy essentials (which restrict social media cross domain cookies, etc.), and Adobe's site works without issues...
It is more about what you filter than the tool (I use Firefox/NoScript/Adblock Plus/Ghostery/Privacy Badger with the "deny, then allow" method). Even Typekit is sniffing you.

I was not dismissing this Blender addon. I'll certainly use it. The mention of the Player was to try to bring this topic slightly back to LightWave. :)

OD Tools and DB&WTools help with material image sets from Substance.

RPSchmidt

I noticed that ArtStation looks like they have converted the Substance Painter tag on work to "Adobe Substance 3d Painter". Probably three out of every five (or more) 3d works that you browse now say "Adobe Substance 3d Painter" in the tag area.

Almost like it's always been that way... spooky. ;)👻

rustythe1

www.Digitawn.co.uk
Adobe just released an official Blender add-on to load Substances directly, with texture parameters (if applicable). It loads native SBSAR files and renders bitmap textures. All PBR material channels are automatically populated.

PS also discovered on the same page a plugin is released to auto-rig and animate Mixamo characters straight in Blender. Will check that out tomorrow.
funny how adobe released these at the same time as becoming the biggest gold member contributor of blender, wonder what they are planning in the long run? ;):unsure:

Top Bottom