A Word from The Loser.

Glendalough

As one of the 4 and only animations ( or was it three) that was submitted from the WIP thread when the bell rang, I seem to be the only one that not only didn't get placed but was not even included in any way on the reel.

ONE could say nothing but that would be rather too polite. Hey?

DBMiller

From one looser to another, I was hoping for a split second of show reel time myself! I think everyone who entered should have gotten some recognition for their work.

meshpig

As one of the 4 and only animations ( or was it three) that was submitted from the WIP thread when the bell rang, I seem to be the only one that not only didn't get placed but was not even included in any way on the reel.

Get over it, the rule of thumb when entering competitions of any type in every sphere of artistic endeavor is to see it for what it's not.

m

meshpig

OK, sorry... I sound like a sanctimonious retiree.

:question:... links to the so called losing entries are @ ... ?

Thanks

m

Surrealist.

Cheers buddy. It's all good. I liked what you are doing. Proves it ain't easy!

All the time I spent writing posts I could have been helping you with the Angela! Sorry. Now I am feeling a little guilt, but a comrade was in need, you know the drill... :)

But it is back to work. Nudge me! Don't wither away man.

Glendalough

Thanks people for writing & sympathy!

Don't really know why I was bothered. It suddenly became one of those times when you put yourself on the point and ask -Am I just going to say nothing? The answer is usually yes but not always, and its never clear.

MooseDog

Dreamer
I too "lost" big-time :). Not one but two quick animations entered, neither one make the cut. I quoted lost because I personally don't view it as such, but rather as a chance to critique my work and improve it.

archijam

commuting user
I think everyone who entered should have gotten some recognition for their work.

That every entry should be in the showreel?

I disagree.

You will never see a bellow-broadcast-quality example featured on any other 3D App's main website, and for good reason (not referring to your entries personally, just in general).

Sometimes the community feeling here on the forums means people take things too personally. The recognition was expressed here.

adamredwoods

Watch the Olympics. Watch how they train and enter many, many competitions.
Do the same for any craft and you, too, can be a winner.

monovich

I'm a Registered User
wasn't the contest created in order to build some showpieces for LW? If you didn't win don't be sour, just work on your quality. The people watching the LW demo reel are going to be skeptics, and if something on it doesn't look good they are going to say "this is what LW can do? I'll pass!"

-sf

AbnRanger

Perfect gift for:
- Masochistic high-school athletic coaches
- Freaks and Geeks
- 23 out of 24 people
- Disaffected college students

hi-larious!
You'd be a little disaffected too if you spent 4 yrs training for a career, only to find out that your degree is worth as about as much as a cup of coffee in the marketplace.
Imagine the students with degree majors in things like psychology...only to find out AFTER the fact that there is NO demand for graduates with Bachelors Degrees in Physcology.

Universitie's are just like car lots...if you go in uninformed (not knowing what the job market requires in your chosen field), you're very likely going to come away being ripped off...no matter how well you applied yourself. But what's worse is...you'll find yourself having the debt load of a few cars, with nothing but a fancy piece of paper to show for it. At least, if you get ripped off at the dealership you have an automobile to drive. Get screwed by your local Uni, and you can't even afford to step foot on a car lot! :devil:
Somehow, the word "disaffected" isn't sufficiently discriptive.

The major problem at many state colleges is that too much time and finances is spent on "General Education" and non-career specific courses. That is the REAL ripoff. If you are trying to prepare for your given job market, screw all the "diverse education" giberish...it needs to be at least 80% career specific. Anything less is theft...

Last edited:

theo

Fibonnaci Sequins
Imagine the students with degree majors in things like psychology...only to find out AFTER the fact that there is NO demand for graduates with Bachelors Degrees in Physcology.

I can understand this. Critical psychology is one of the more subjective and ambiguous sciences. Hence, its heavy indoctrination of cleverly muted and disguised religious principles.

Of course, not ALL psychology is tainted with this social flavor but much of what is taught to the body of hollow minds stems from archaic social principles.

Andyjaggy

You'd be a little disaffected too if you spent 4 yrs training for a career, only to find out that your degree is worth as about as much as a cup of coffee in the marketplace.

Universitie's are just like car lots...if you go in uninformed (not knowing what the job market requires in your chosen field), you're very likely going to come away being ripped off...no matter how well you applied yourself. But what's worse is...you'll find yourself having the debt load of a few cars, with nothing but a fancy piece of paper to show for it. At least, if you get ripped off at the dealership you have an automobile to drive. Get screwed by your local Uni, and you can't even afford to step foot on a car lot! :devil:
Somehow, the word "disaffected" isn't sufficiently discriptive.

The major problem at many state colleges is that too much time and finances is spent on "General Education" and non-career specific courses. That is the REAL ripoff. If you are trying to prepare for your given job market, screw all the "diverse education" giberish...it needs to be at least 80% career specific. Anything less is theft...

You just about summed up my general opinion on college. Sound like you might have walked that road yourself too. :D

AbnRanger

You just about summed up my general opinion on college. Sound like you might have walked that road yourself too. :D

I'm just really surprised at the level of apathy over this topic...maybe it's because many careers really don't require 4yrs of in-depth training, so all the General Ed stuff is just filler. BUT THAT IS RIPPING OFF THE STUDENT...and the states who help subsidize the theft. I firmly believe our (secondary) education system is in dire need of a MAJOR overhaul...with the main focus being:
1) PREPARE THE STUDENTS FOR THEIR SPECIFIC PROFESSION as much as possible!
2) Eliminate the WASTEFUL content that (the student will NEVER use)contributes IN NO MEANINGFUL WAY toward the first goal.

There is no logical reason to REQUIRE a student to go into massive debt for courses that are simply fluff...if these Education Union idiots want students to be "WELL ROUNDED" then they need to make those classes free of charge!
Most students would NEVER elect to take them...because they know full well that they simply DO NOT PREPARE THEM FOR THE JOB MARKET. That is the mission statement of secondary education...not put "Well-Rounded" individuals in the market...but rather "Well-Prepared." What does a Computer Graphics Artist need from a Natural Sciences course? Even "Art Appreciation" requirements is nothing but fluff. If you don't get enough fluff in Junior High and High School, then so be it. Outside of that, the student is footing the bill, and the state shouldn't be in the business of forcing students to "Buy" what they neither need nor want!!!
I wish there was a way to tap into the rebellious nature of college kids and start a revolt against this blatant robbery! :cursin:
Stop letting "The Man" rip you off!

Last edited:
Top Bottom