A source plea to NT

Myagi

Assuming there will never be any more changes/fixes, aside from possibly bugs, in the LW9 cycle, is there at least any chance you could release (include as SDK samples) the original source for some basic nodes? Specifically interested in Image, NormalMap and UV/Vertex Map would also be nice.

It just seems so wasteful having to write clones of those from scratch just to fix some small little internal detail.

In my case there's what I'd like to classify a design flaw in all uv/vertex map functionality of nodes, which causes a bunch of grief for my texture baker. Map evaluation only works in Layout but not Modeler, because the node code only uses global(LWOBJECTINFO_GLOBAL) to access maps and have no Modeler fallback code. While at first that might seem ok, it's completely inconsistent with how non-node based surfaces work, they handle it just fine in Modeler with the same params in MicroPoly as in NodeAccess. (I wouldn't be hard on third party nodes, but I'd expect a little more consistency on internal functionality)

So with no outlook of that ever getting fixed, my only option would be to write clones of above mentioned nodes, with the only addition being that they have a Modeler fallback for looking up vertex maps.

Not that I actually expect anything to come of this as they don't seem too happy to include "real" stuff as samples, but begging a little might reduce my pain slightly :D . Just a final little motivator, the 3DSMAX SDK included the full sourceode for their Standard materials as samples, so that you easily could create own modified materials that still had 100% of all the original functionality and look, and all I'm asking for are a few simple nodes ;)

Myagi

I was actually thinking of fogging it, but then I thought they made it pretty clear that LW9 would get nothing more than at best some bug fixes, and they have their hands full with CORE, so I gave up on the idea.

Top Bottom