a heartfelt request to bring back ChromaFX and the Overlays DVE folder * * * * *

serket

greetings new tek

upgraded to VT5 recently and just now realized the Overlays DVE folder, which included ChromaFX, is no longer with us - this unique DVE may not have been used by many, and i have wept at the loss of numerous very very cool toaster effects since the days of Toaster 2000 - but i really don't know how i am going to live without ChromaFX

from a performance art perspective, the custom color cycling possible with ChromaFX was a critical element in the way we were using the Toaster and it is a huge gap to find it missing - we also used TimeStretch and Emboss very frequently... and as ScorpioProductions pointed out in another post on this subject, ChromaFX was indeed one of the "defining effects" of the VT

if there is an actual technical reason for the omission, i'll really have to adjust - but if it was merely because of its uncommon nature or infrequent use in general, i'm making an extreeeeemely sincere and humble plea to bring it back somehow... to the exclusively artistic Toaster users, this was a bit like having an actual medium taken away - like not being able to work in acrylics anymore, when that is your preferred medium... its sad that so many truly unique video effects had to be sacrificed or abandoned over the years, with each amazing Toaster upgrade - some people do use them, a lot!

missing DVEs aside, VT5 is one of the most awesome things in the entire universe and after 11 years of Toasting i'm more in love with it than ever

thanks for any feedback or assistance,
a devoted Video Toaster user

serket

many thanks! VT5 is absolutely AMAZING - you all do such great work - my eternal gratitude for creating this wonderful tool...... the overall improvements (we went from VT2 strait to VT5) far outweigh the lack of ChromaFX, but if it is in any way possible, i would be elated to the nth degree to have it back in the live mix!!

look forward to hearing more
- serket

Quiet1onTheSet

greetings new tek

upgraded to VT5 recently and just now realized the Overlays DVE folder, which included ChromaFX, is no longer with us - this unique DVE may not have been used by many, and i have wept at the loss of numerous very very cool toaster effects since the days of Toaster 2000 - but i really don't know how i am going to live without ChromaFX...from a performance art perspective, the custom color cycling possible with ChromaFX was a critical element in the way we were using the Toaster and it is a huge gap to find it missing - we also used TimeStretch and Emboss very frequently... and as ScorpioProductions pointed out in another post on this subject, ChromaFX was indeed one of the "defining effects" of the VT...
Oh, for sure! Actually, I can think of a few of those NewTek DVE originals which more or less significantly upped the anté in some music videos I've kicked out in the past.

Would love to see a return of some of the most popular of those DVEs at least!

Q1

serket

i cannot begin to express in words how truly grateful i am - a million thanks!!!!!!

and greetings Q1 - glad to see someone else who remembers the more unusual old toaster effects! can't recall the actual names of some them, and sadly i'm starting to forget what many of them were even like (a few years ago i remembered them all - but its been almost a decade since we moved to PC VT) so here are a few descriptions of my favorites:

one was a zoom grid, where the video tiled out smaller and smaller, until it was like a wall of tiny screens, which finally turned into pixels before it flipped to the other input - this one was THE BEST and i'd give anything to have that back! another one was like a rotate effect, except it dragged the colors from around the border of the video input as it went - sort of pausing them to create a really cool multi-leveled rainbow with your video feed's palette... and another was a negative image chroma cycling - where the colors were inverted, but it cycled thru various levels of it and was moving constantly - there were a few like this, with various color palettes

i LOVED those and have many many fond memories of the toaster flyer... each time there was an upgrade, the improvements far outweighed the few things left behind, so there are no complaints - chromaFX is the exception though - that is absolutely positively vital ;)

so thank you paul lara for taking the time to look into that - again, i couldn't be more appreciative!

all the best ~ serket

ps: anyone else remember any killer old VT effects?

view3d

Paul others I really need from the amiga days..which are great for dance, music and sports videos...

Trail on white / Trail on black effects....

If the amiga could do them in this day and age of quads and gpu's the pc should be able to do it by now..

Daniel

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
Problem is those trail effects, as well as the time shift effect that I miss, were FOUR FIELD based effects.

I was told they would be very difficult to create for the current system.

view3d

Problem is those trail effects, as well as the time shift effect that I miss, were FOUR FIELD based effects.

Scorpio are you saying the vt pc card cant gather four fields?

I'm sure newtek is up for it :) still cant believe the 'ol amiga beats the quad core :) There's got to be a way to do it by now on the pc.. I hearby issue the view3d Challenge!

:help:

serket

second the motion!!!!!!! am experiencing serious withdraw every time i go to my transitions and in reflex want to use chromaFX, time stretch, and negative (the whole overlays folder actually) and remember they aren't there - its been 4 months now but i'm still not used to it - very eagerly awaiting the chromaFX plugin so that my performance rig is back in its optimum position

and yeah, with the mega power of these machines is sure seems like much more would be possible with effects than in the old days - i know we can make our own DVE's, but personally have little technical background in those areas and almost no experience in lightwave3d - are there any resources online with basic how-to's for getting started with creating DVE's?

if anyone who knows how to do it is up for the challenge i have a vast que of ideas for killer transitions ;)

i'm going crazy without my chromaFX tho guys - help me please

- serket

Quiet1onTheSet

How long ago, ScorpioProd, were you so informed?

Were there processing chip functions on the vintage VideoToaster 2.0 board what were critical to these four-field based effects that simply haven't been replicated on the PC based VT boards?

Or is the issue having to do with the abilities provided by the Amiga platform's co-processor chips versus some critical limitation of PC processor chipsets even in today's world?

Or is the issue having more to do with PC software programming limitations (or a little of all of the above)?

Anyone in the know -- do tell!

Q1
:confused:

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
How long ago, ScorpioProd, were you so informed?

Long time ago, as in years.

Were there processing chip functions on the vintage VideoToaster 2.0 board what were critical to these four-field based effects that simply haven't been replicated on the PC based VT boards?

Ah, no, earlier VT builds on the PC could do this. This was simply dropped when the VT software was "rebuilt from the ground up." I guess just limited programming resources available to work on it.

Or is the issue having to do with the abilities provided by the Amiga platform's co-processor chips versus some critical limitation of PC processor chipsets even in today's world?

The VT on the PC used to be able to do this. I used it for wedding highlight recaps up till a few years ago.

Or is the issue having more to do with PC software programming limitations (or a little of all of the above)?

Apparently. Thing is, the use was cumbersome since it was not possible to implement this in SpeedEDIT/VT-EDIT directly anyway.

view3d

Long time ago, as in years.

Apparently. Thing is, the use was cumbersome since it was not possible to implement this in SpeedEDIT/VT-EDIT directly anyway.

who cares about it being in SpeedEDIT/VT-EDIT just want the trails back! If I could at least do it live and record it or I'll use a second vt to record it.

d

Quiet1onTheSet

who cares about it being in SpeedEDIT/VT-EDIT just want the trails back! If I could at least do it live and record it or I'll use a second vt to record it.
d
Heck, I'll record it with a component-connected TriCaster -- or even a FW-connected HV30!

Q1
:hey:

ScorpioProd

XDCAM HD production
It was a great effect, but the way to get to it, if you were going out of VT-EDIT and back in, was definitely cumbersome.

serket

bump

chromaFX please please please? is it possible? don't mean to be persistent but - it is SO sorely needed..........

thanks

serket

agreed

tho there may not be a very large toaster user base thats applying it to vj / live, artistically oriented a/v mixing - the toaster is certainly capable of doing all and even more than what a lot of the vj tech thats out there can do... its mostly on individual application and creativity (the toaster has a huge array to work with as is), but on new tek's end it would probably be very beneficial to put a little more focus in this area - seems like some pretty simple enhancements would boost the attraction quite a bit... a wider array of the more creative live effects would be excellent, as well as some more sophisticated midi control if thats possible - www.youngmonkey.ca has a midi-VT plugin and this is definitely cool for a lot of it... but if i could have a toaster with Roland's V-Link in it i think i'd be set for life....... being able to control the live aspects of the toaster with midi and sync it to audio like the V-Link gear does would be a wildest dream come true... no idea how this would be possible technically, but from the performer's point of view - that would be the ultimate setup

has anyone on this board used young monkey's midiVT plugin? any reviews? or has anyone used edirol's motion dive .tokyo console and software to know what i'm talking about with the midi / V-Link sync? i'd much rather use my synthesizer and some foot controlers to trigger video than the qwerty keyboard and a mouse.......

- serket

Last edited:
Top Bottom