64 bit colour

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
fanany said:
oh yessss!...
I think it's time now for breaking the 4x8bit limitation...
I'd be happier if we actually even had that. TTBOMK, there are internal strictures on Aura's color channels so that under some circumstances we don't even really get to exhaust 32 bit color space. Hope springs eternal, though :)

pepe

in fact, Aura uses all colors that can be seen, and its main default comes in degrading quality of what is not seen. Colors in transparent areas are degraded on an amount somewhat related to transparency. Theoratically, the loss is not visible when compositing layers, and depends on transparency levels, but not linearly. Problems come when alpha channels get modified, mainly, or when importing images from other software.
Dreaming of a floating point, component and resolution independent, unlimited editable undo, painting app....
Dreaming is what makes me walk. :D

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
It may 'theoretically' not matter, Frederic, but in the end the alpha value limitation does make a visible difference at times. Here's hoping it disappears in an upcoming version.

pepe

oh, i may have said it the wrong way. While it is normally not noticeable, i agree with you that it is not a good thing, and certainly wish it disappears. (to add some more on my intention to see this going away, kframed 2.0 will no more use premultiplied alpha, as a result of the hassle of Aura's alpha)
Sorry if i sounded like defending the way aura uses its alpha, it's certainly not what i wanted to express.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
pepe said:
Sorry if i sounded like defending the way aura uses its alpha, it's certainly not what i wanted to express.
Not at all, mon ami - no need to worry... perhaps my wording could have been a little gentler, no reproof was intended. I know we agree on this matter :)

Top Bottom