2 stripe Control surface M/Es enhanced functionality

HristoLichev

I would like to draw your attention to one drawback when you use M/E functionalities of 2 stripe Control surface when used with TC2 Elite. The workflow is as follow. 1st stripe is set as main and is used for program/preview switchnig. 2ns stripe is set as 1M/Es. 1M/Es is set to be output to one of the monitors in the studio. 2nd stripe(1st M/E) is used for fast switching of sources in this monitor. 2M/E and 3M/E are used for preparing PIP screens with different KEYs and the are outputed to 2 different monitors in the studio. The workflow is as follows. The TV director uses the control surface to control Program/Preview and the 1M/E, and uses the main GUI( the first multiview output) to control 2M/E and 3M/e. If you work like that when you press buttons of the 2nd stripe(which is set to 1M/E) the do not lid and they did not indicate what you choose to put on 1M/S. In order to 2nd stripe of the Control surface buttons to lid properly to what you choose, you have to select the 1M/E in the GUI(main multiview). In other words the M/E on the Control surface should be the same as the one selected in the GUI(main multiview) in order buttons to properly lid. Everything is working this way, but is very frustrating for the TV director not see what they have done in M/Es.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Hi. I'm sorry that I am finding it just a bit hard to follow the details in this question. It seems that you are asking for the 2nd stripe on the control surface to follow the current M/E tab selection in the UI, rather than conforming to the selection made on the CS.

I'm not sure this is quite correct, and wonder if you could post a little video showing the issue?

kanep

NewTek SE
I'm a bit confused as well, so maybe I'm not answering what is being asked.

The control surface button updates should operate no matter what is delegated on the UI. If the M/E tab is visible or not, the control surface will reflect the correct status of M/E channels. If you use a macro to update an M/E, even with the tab not open, the control surface will update to those changes in real-time.

If you are looking for the control surface to follow the UI selection, there isn't anything automatic, but you could make macros. Below is an example that will open the M/E tabs, change to M/E1 on the UI and set the upper stripe on the 2S to M/E1. (The strip2_delegate_flag number is a power of two, Main is value of 1, M/E1 is value of 2, M/E2 is value of 4 and so on).

ME change UI and CS.png

trebede

I have the same problem as HristoLichev from version 7-4-210108.
From an operational point of view it is a big problem that the button does not show the selected source on a given delegate bus unless the corresponding effect mix is not selected in the UI. Before this update the control surface displayed it correctly.

I recorded a video with the problem. I know it's not of great quality but I think it's useful to see the current behavior.

Yu can see it here https://photos.app.goo.gl/MN5Fbp1rFEkuDb388

best regards

trebede

I forgot to say earlier that it is happening to me on two different units. A TC2 with a 4-stripes and a TC2 with a 2-stripes.

Regards

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
@ trebede - let me see if I can summarize what you are showing. (I'm not 100% certain this is the same thing as in the OP, though it may well be.)

It appears that button lighting on your 4S control surface does not respond to selecting Switcher buttons unless the delegated M/E is also selected in the UI. Is that a correct interpretation? It's not clear whether it is only the button lighting that is misbehaving, or if TriCaster is ignoring the button press completely, and thus failing to perform the switch.)

In either case, this certainly looks like a bug, not a feature request. Could you please submit a bug report, preferably with your video attached? Thanks!

https://forums.newtek.com/threads/reporting-bugs.110229/

trebede

@SBowie yes, It is as you have described. Switcher buttos does not respond unless the delegated M/E is also selected in the UI, but doesn't failing performing the switch.
I reported throught my distributor this bug 21th January with this video. I know my distributor has been talking with your support people.

If it helps, I have record another video, this time with TC2 and 2-stripes. Same behaviour.

I would appreciate a quick fix for this bug as it is very annoying from an operational point of view.

You can see it here

Best regards

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
This looks like an engineering issue to me, rather than a support one. Support may eventually reach the same conclusion, or you can report it directly using the link I provided.

I looked through the bug database to see if I could find somewhere that they had escalated it. I didn't find anything, but I could have missed it. (I did find a case that I think just may be related to causing the problem, though.)

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
UPDATE:

OK, I looked into this further, and asked QA whether this had been brought to their attention. They had opened a related Fogbugz case based on a verbal report from Support. The bug did in fact flow from the change I mentioned above, and was marked resolved in Engineering on January 26th.

This fix has not been released yet, but will be in the next update. (If you need it earlier and don't mind using a beta, QA will provide one if you contact Support and ask for it (you could refer to Fogbugz case number 109349).

trebede

Thank you very much for your update @SBowie
I have a bad past experience with installing a beta version, so I will wait for the official release. In the waiting time, can you think of any idea, macro...etc to get around this bug ?
best regards

HristoLichev

I was offline for a while. I see that the thread has some progress. Just wanna mention that I was advised by the support to sign in into forum and open a new thread about this issue. I use 7-4-210126C on my TC2 and this issue still occurs.

Last edited:

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
Assuming your problem is basically the same as Trebede's (sorry, I had trouble parsing your post), it's not certain that a build from the day the issue was reported fixed would have the fix in it. Builds are usually done overnight, and then again about mid-day. So you might still need something more recent - unless, of course, you followed the suggestion about to reach out to QA to requests a beta?

Otherwise, if you did that and the problem continues, you could open a fresh Fogbugz case, mentioning the previous case number (109349).

HristoLichev

No, I am a little bit afraid of beta versions(bad experience). So maybe it will be better for us to wait until the next update release and to hope that the issue will be fixed in it. Or is it possible from some time from now the fix will be included in the version that is now available for download.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I would expect it to be fixed in any build released after, oh, let's say Feb. 1st. If you install a build after that date and still see the issue, please open a new Fogbugz case.

trebede

Hello @SBowie

Do you have an idea when the new version with this bug fixed might be released? We have purchased a new TC2 unit and with the factory version - 7-4-210108 - the bug is there. It has been almost a month since the bug seems to have been fixed.
As it came with that version from factory we cannot install the version -7-4-201120- which is the last one that did not have this bug.

Is there any way to install an older version than the factory version in Tricaster TC2?

Thanks

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
I am sorry, I am out of the office this week for personal reasons . Can I suggest you email [email protected] and ask about this issue. Please refer to case 109349, and mention my name.

trebede

@HristoLichev
Their reply:
Juan,

We are working to release a new build of the TC2Elite software containing changes to address the Control Surface issues you are referring to and while we do not have a release date for you at this time we are working to get this out as soon as we can and expect to have it released publicly very soon. We do have a Beta build available containing these changes, and if you would like to try this build before it is released to verify that it resolves the Control Surface issues you are seeing you can download it from the link below. Thank you.

Top Bottom