1001 ways to use LW and Blender together

K-Dawg

Oh I'm sorry. Haven't checked the forums lately.

I'll look real quick and let you know and upload if I do.

EDIT:
I found the lwsexporter Plugin. I'll upload that one. AFAIK Blender prior to 2.5 had an LWO exporter, but I'll have to install that to check. Luckly I run Linux so that should be too much of a deal.

I've also uploaded another Plugin called pfxexporter. I dunno remember where I got these though.

If I find that LWO exporter, I'll upload here.

EDIT2:
I think I found it. It's called Lightwave Exporter and in the file it says something with .lwo so I think this is it.
I can't program in python so I can't really so anything with it. Hope you guys find a way to get these useful plugins working with Blender 2.5+

I also added some other plugins with the plugs.zip file that came with the older blender version.

Greetz

Attachments

• lw_lwseqexport.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 324
  • pfxexport.zip
    3.6 KB · Views: 326
  • plugs.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

safetyman

World's Tallest Dwarf
One of the things I've been doing is getting content from Google Sketchup Warehouse into Lightwave via Blender. Sometimes the Collada importer in LW 9.6 (which is all I have ATM), doesn't import anything and Blender seems to be able to handle most of the Sketchup collada files pretty well.

The Warehouse is pretty handy in a pinch (like quick buildings, vehicles, planes, or even fire hydrants, tools, etc.) and it's amazing how much stuff is in there. A lot of it is crap, but sometimes you find a good base model to use as a starting point.

It's been discussed already I'm sure, but Blender does a good job importing LW subd objects for the most part; it opens them with a subdivision modifier applied. So I can do a quick sculpt job on the model if I need to.

daforum

da what?
Oh I'm sorry. Haven't checked the forums lately.

I'll look real quick and let you know and upload if I do.

EDIT:
I found the lwsexporter Plugin. I'll upload that one. AFAIK Blender prior to 2.5 had an LWO exporter, but I'll have to install that to check. Luckly I run Linux so that should be too much of a deal.

I've also uploaded another Plugin called pfxexporter. I dunno remember where I got these though.

If I find that LWO exporter, I'll upload here.

EDIT2:
I think I found it. It's called Lightwave Exporter and in the file it says something with .lwo so I think this is it.
I can't program in python so I can't really so anything with it. Hope you guys find a way to get these useful plugins working with Blender 2.5+

I also added some other plugins with the plugs.zip file that came with the older blender version.

Greetz

Thanks for posting these python scripts :)
I do have a few of them already, but not the pfxexport one, so I will definitely be playing with that one.

daforum

da what?
One of the things I've been doing is getting content from Google Sketchup Warehouse into Lightwave via Blender. Sometimes the Collada importer in LW 9.6 (which is all I have ATM), doesn't import anything and Blender seems to be able to handle most of the Sketchup collada files pretty well.

The Warehouse is pretty handy in a pinch (like quick buildings, vehicles, planes, or even fire hydrants, tools, etc.) and it's amazing how much stuff is in there. A lot of it is crap, but sometimes you find a good base model to use as a starting point.

It's been discussed already I'm sure, but Blender does a good job importing LW subd objects for the most part; it opens them with a subdivision modifier applied. So I can do a quick sculpt job on the model if I need to.

Cool idea for getting quick models. I didn't know about Blender being able to import subd objects and it applies a subdivision modifier..that's a cool tip :thumbsup:
It would be good if it worked the other way around, but when I've tried the subdivision in Blender, it freezes at that level on export so when it comes in to LightWave it has a lot of polys.
(i would prefer to create a subpatch cage on export from Blender so I can up the levels when rendering in LW)

safetyman

World's Tallest Dwarf
Cool idea for getting quick models. I didn't know about Blender being able to import subd objects and it applies a subdivision modifier..that's a cool tip :thumbsup:
It would be good if it worked the other way around, but when I've tried the subdivision in Blender, it freezes at that level on export so when it comes in to LightWave it has a lot of polys.
(i would prefer to create a subpatch cage on export from Blender so I can up the levels when rendering in LW)

Yeah, that's the downside. Fortunately, if you freeze the model in LW at a low level (2 works well) then bring it into Blender, it works great for sculpting without using having to use sub-d's. Great for putting the finishing touches on a character.

tischbein3

Huh ?
Well you can allways deactivate the subdivision modifier, or, when exporting as a obj, inside the file requestor on the left side, you can uncheck "apply modifier"

daforum

da what?
Huh ?
Well you can allways deactivate the subdivision modifier, or, when exporting as a obj, inside the file requestor on the left side, you can uncheck "apply modifier"

That's a great tip for a Blender to LW working method :thumbsup:

(I was just being lazy when I said I wanted it to open in LW with a subpatch cage automatically applied...would be handy if it could)

lightmann

For those lazy guys , in blender just press CTRL + 1 = Apply subdivision surface modifier in level 1 , CTRL +0 move the modifier to the lowest subdivision. ideal for quick export.

Celshader

Red Mage
Blender newbie question...can Blender export motion blur along with an obj sequence?

Dynamics, fluids, etc. I can do decent effects within minutes. I haven't used RealFlow in years.

I have a question. Many years ago, I saw a script to export Blender fluid dynamics to LightWave in the form of an object sequence. Do you know if this script exports the motion blur as well?

For example, RealFlow exports the blur in the form of an embedded "Speed" endomorph for each object. Vibrating the Speed endomorph over one frame results in blur in LightWave. Does the Blender->LW object sequence script offer something similar?

I ask because a personal license of RealFlow is too expensive for me at this time, and I'd like to use Blender instead for fluid dynamics.

Cohen

I have a question. Many years ago, I saw a script to export Blender fluid dynamics to LightWave in the form of an object sequence. Do you know if this script exports the motion blur as well?

For example, RealFlow exports the blur in the form of an embedded "Speed" endomorph for each object. Vibrating the Speed endomorph over one frame results in blur in LightWave. Does the Blender->LW object sequence script offer something similar?

I ask because a personal license of RealFlow is too expensive for me at this time, and I'd like to use Blender instead for fluid dynamics.

This is getting off topic, but I can point you in the right direction (in case you are unaware of this): splotchdog

lightmann

After some time waiting that some features were added, some things fixed and others improved over the main trunk of builds of Blender and see how my necessities are not a priority for the developer teams. I decided to compile the version of blender that fill an important gap and allows me gain some benefits of 2.5x generation in companion of all my favorite tools.
Basically this is an actual version that brings finally an efficient support for point cache formats (all the credit and thanks to ivogrigull the coder); and specially for mdd that has been broken for long time.
The next stop is a 64 version of the most recent build and in the best scenario more useful tools for fellows Lwers.
So following the spirit of blender and this community.

enjoy it.
http://www.mediafire.com/?sb2ab69imnhzn4z

Last edited:

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Staff member
So following the spirit of blender and this community.
I rather suspect this is a copy of a post to a different community, inasmuch as this one is specifically for "professional and civil discourse regarding NewTek products by NewTek users". Your post does not seem to fit this criteria in any obvious way.

Nevertheless, I am letting your post stand as is, for whatever merit it might have for LW users. That said, I'd appreciate it if those posting in this thread continue to show respect for the fact that this is not a Blender forum, and that it's existence is already a compromise.

Drocket

Steve I am not promoting this just thought it was impressive and maybe NT could have something similar in the future.

If you think it is over stepping the bounds then please delete the post.

Here is a surfacing and retopo tool for blender, information here

Video here (quite long)

Philbert

Sub-Dude
Blender fluids

I may need to do some fluid stuff for an upcoming project so I thought I'd look into blender. I don't normally use blender but I was surprised at how easily I was able to make a little fluid test, import it to LightWave, and apply a nice surface to it (using Dielectric).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbelfEzK_M0

I used the Splotchdog importer plugin found here:
http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=39

Next I will need to test how it does with collision objects.

More:

One more interesting thing I've found is that I can load a collision object from LightWave into blender, or make any other change, rebake the fluid, then jump back to Layout and the change is already there, I don't need to import anything or reload the scene at all.

Last edited:

stevecullum

Lightwave junkie
Splotchdog's plugin works well, supports motion vectors and even supports particles, but is 9.6 only for some reason. :(

Top Bottom