”none” menu item at DSK layer

Matsu

We need the empty settings at DSK layer to avoid to take unexpect image on PGM out.
For example, when opening "all empty" session, the DSK layers have "none" imput signals.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Actually, I think if you look you'll see that the DSKs do have default sources assigned to them, but overlaying one of them on Program out (whether deliberately or by accident) has no visible effect because the default sources are themselves 'empty.'

You could accomplish much the same thing by assigning any DSK or Key layer to an unused Buffer slot, for example.

Matsu

Thank you for your reply.
I know that and I explain same answer to our Japanese cutomer.
The customer said that some switcher have this function(default settings is empty"none"), so we recieve this request from them.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
It would be helpful to know what the practical reason for such a change would be. It doesn't actually seem to provide any practical benefit, apart from imitating another switcher in a small way.

kanep

NewTek SE
I think what they are looking for it an 'Empty' input, even if teh DSK get triggered nothing will be displayed.

As mentioned, this can be done by choosing a Buffer that has no content loaded into it. If they really want it to say 'None', rename the Buffer's button name.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
I think what they are looking for it an 'Empty' input, even if teh DSK get triggered nothing will be displayed.
Clearly - and yes, as I wrote above, virtually the same end-result is possible already. Given the time and effort it would take, I'm just asking whether there's some real-world benefit to this that we've overlooked. It may simply be that our friend is fulfilling a promise to pass a customer request along. :)

I have used the method suggested (setting to an empty buffer or input) and have been bit when eventually something gets put into that buffer or worse it has a drop shadow applied which effectively puts up a black frame over the whole image. A empty/none would be a nice, cant accidentally put something in there selection.

JonRaidel

Macro Titan
I have used the method suggested (setting to an empty buffer or input) and have been bit when eventually something gets put into that buffer or worse it has a drop shadow applied which effectively puts up a black frame over the whole image. A empty/none would be a nice, cant accidentally put something in there selection.
you cant accidently put something in the keyer without going into the DSK menu.
if using the CS Surface, you can lock the Keyer Delegate buttons so you do not select a source via the Key Row.

you cant accidently put something in the keyer without going into the DSK menu.
if using the CS Surface, you can lock the Keyer Delegate buttons so you do not select a source via the Key Row.
The advice I was refering to was: As mentioned, this can be done by choosing a Buffer that has no content loaded into it.

In that sense I could set the DSK to Buffer 2 or the last one on a given system and then never think of it again. Then during a show I may eventually decide I need to use buffer 2 for something. I have to remember that I used Buffer 2 as the "empty" DSK input and change the DSK to a new embty buffer or input. So you your point, I didnt accidently put something into the key by going into the DSK menu and screwing it up, I did it by adding content to a random input or buffer that I had previously designated as the "Keep this thing empty" input. The times this bit me was indeed when someone else was filling in as a TD and didnt know that I used buffer 1 as the DSK empty. I always used my GFX bin for images and they liked to use the buffer.

SBowie

'the write stuff'
Not to ignore the suggestion, but just as additional workarounds:
  • I often use an unused (high number) video input for this purpose (rather than a buffer)
  • Or you could use a buffer that has a fully transparent graphic in it.
Again, I can see the point of the suggestion, just mentioning a few ways to avoid the problem right now. (I can think of some other, more sophisticated approaches, but they'd be more trouble to explain to a customer.)

Not to ignore the suggestion, but just as additional workarounds:
  • I often use an unused (high number) video input for this purpose (rather than a buffer)
  • Or you could use a buffer that has a fully transparent graphic in it.
Again, I can see the point of the suggestion, just mentioning a few ways to avoid the problem right now. (I can think of some other, more sophisticated approaches, but they'd be more trouble to explain to a customer.)
Since I moved to a TC2 I have started to use input 32 and I hope I will never get there.

With that being said I have now planted the seed and I will see you all within 4 years saying that input 32 got used and caused an issue ;-)

Top Bottom