Thread: Post-render

ShortsightedSithAssassin

Post-render

Why is it that with a long render (my example is a 12.5-hour overnight render) when the meter hits 100%, I have to wait. And wait. And wait. For ages before the image appears.

The aforementioned render hit 100% this morning but nearly 20 minutes later the image still hadn't appeared. I assume it'll be there when I get home tonight.

I can imagine that when it says 100% it is actually beginning the last 1% of the render (which in the case would be about 7.5 minutes). But what else is going on? I'm on an 8-core MacPro with 8GB RAM, so I'm not short on power or memory!
    Dogs can save your life, but cats will watch you die and then eat you.

CATS: They can't be trusted

I noticed this too; the first time I had a very long render and saw that "100%" report on the Render window, I clicked "continue" (or probably "abort" -- Doh!) and had to wait another day for my rendered image. :-/

Live and learn. Now I am more patient -- at least so far. :-)

Are you rendering hi-res? It seems like lw says 100% before the buffers are combined for the final image, but if you have a large image it may take longer, and it might be real low on ram too. Or this could just be another lw quirk :/
    Last edited by toby; 06-19-2009 at 11:27 PM.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

dunno if this is related or not, but I remember back into my mostly print days...the pre-OS X days...the classic progress bar promise that everybody would joke about would be the one that said "Less than one minute."

most of those "minutes" would last long enough to get coffee, or even lunch.

perhaps they were minutes of Jupiter-based time?

right up there with "weather forecasts," the walk/don't walk button, and economic predictions.

J

What's your segment memory limit set to? It seems to sometimes get slower if the memory setting is low enough to require multiple segments.
    Are my spline guides showing?