Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change objects surface while animating

Newbie Member

Change objects surface while animating

Hello everybody,

i am new to the whole LW thing... So I hope i may get some answers here ...

I am applying a surface to an object. Now i want to change the surface "on the fly" while doing an animation. Is this possible? Or do i have to take one take with the one surface and one take with the other surface and blend those takes together in something like adobe premiere or so?

background is, that i wanna switch from one surface which show the wireframe outline only to a full textured object.

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply

You can do it on the fly in LW for the most part.

In any of the channels like, Color, Transparency, Bump, etc. First add your layers of your first texture. Then add the layers of your second texture under them. Then as you want to transition between the textures, just animate the opacity of the top texture. You do this by clicking the 'E' for envelope, next to the opacity, when you have the target texture selected.

When you hit E the graph editor will pop up. Put a key at 100% to see it, then a key at 0% on the frame you want it completely gone showing

Doing the transition in post might make life easier, especially in a program like After Effects. It may be difficult/annoying in Premier.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can elaborate more.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4dartist View Post
    You can do it on the fly in LW for the most part.

In any of the channels like, Color, Transparency, Bump, etc. First add your layers of your first texture. Then add the layers of your second texture under them. Then as you want to transition between the textures, just animate the opacity of the top texture. You do this by clicking the 'E' for envelope, next to the opacity, when you have the target texture selected.

When you hit E the graph editor will pop up. Put a key at 100% to see it, then a key at 0% on the frame you want it completely gone showing

Doing the transition in post might make life easier, especially in a program like After Effects. It may be difficult/annoying in Premier.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can elaborate more.

Thank you for your fast reply. it works when i try to switch surfaces like you proposed.

But there is still one question open for me: Is it possible to turn on / off the "render outlines" option when doing an animation?

Many thanks again

If you need to actually blend multiple surfaces that have completely different attributes it can be done using the surfmix shader that comes with LW. There are a couple of options for rendering outlines such as the Unreal shader and BESM which MIGHT give that kind of control.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    If you need to actually blend multiple surfaces that have completely different attributes it can be done using the surfmix shader that comes with LW. There are a couple of options for rendering outlines such as the Unreal shader and BESM which MIGHT give that kind of control.
    Thank you too!

Ill give this a try and report back.

Make duplicate objects and set one as the morph target (and hide it), then you can Morph Surfaces.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

Where exactly is 'render outlines'? I can't find that option. Or do you mean the stuff under the 'object properties' then under the 'edges' tab? If you mean those edge options, there isn't a way to animate it that I know of.

I bet there are some other ways to get polygon outlines to render other than the edge tab. There has to be some decent plugins that do it, that you can fade out the effect over time... maybe. If not, then you just may have to do it in post. Premier can handle it if you are just fading between one render to another. For example one render with full textures, and another render of wire frames. But if you need to actually composite, like putting a background, foreground, and effects together to complete a shot, it's bad for that stuff.

Splinegods suggestions sounds like a great place to look.

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Make duplicate objects and set one as the morph target (and hide it), then you can Morph Surfaces.
    Whoa for real? If you make 2 objects, with different surfaces, set the 2nd as a morph target then hide, then morph over time the 1st will change surface characteristics over time? Like if 1st was reflective and 2nd wasn't?

I just figured it would morph the geometry not the texture. I haven't done morphs with separate objects in years.

Newbie Member
    Where exactly is 'render outlines'? I can't find that option.
    Its under the surface edit, advanced tab. its name is just render outlines...

i am just playing around with the shaders, but surfmix isnt the one to go, maybe i am lucky using those other two... will report back!

and real big thank you to all replies here! i wish every community would be that nice and helpful!!!

Newbie Member
    uh, i am not that deep into LW right now, but ill keep this in mind

Whoa for real? If you make 2 objects, with different surfaces, set the 2nd as a morph target then hide, then morph over time the 1st will change surface characteristics over time? Like if 1st was reflective and 2nd wasn't?

I just figured it would morph the geometry not the texture. I haven't done morphs with separate objects in years.
    Yea morph targets were old when I started lw in 2000 but they still have their uses

It's easy, go to object properites/deform tab, under the 'Morph Target' list select the other object, and click the Morph Surfaces button - but it will be greyed out until you add some Morph amount or an envelope.
    Confirmed -

Surfmix is the most powerful of the surface mixing options because you can use
    textures, weight maps etc to do the blending. You can even blend areas that have reflection blurring etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    Surfmix is the most powerful of the surface mixing options because you can use
    textures, weight maps etc to do the blending. You can even blend areas that have reflection blurring etc.
    Yea it's awesome, you can blend with a procedural too. I just forgot it could handle outlines
    Confirmed -

Newbie Member
    Yea it's awesome, you can blend with a procedural too. I just forgot it could handle outlines
    Hmm, maybe you can push me into the right direction on how to use the surfmix shader to blend from a textured object surface to wireframe and vice versa...

i already tried to, but when i transition from one texture to another the "render outlines" from the advanced surface tab is not working...

at least not when i try ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yigor View Post
    Hmm, maybe you can push me into the right direction on how to use the surfmix shader to blend from a textured object surface to wireframe and vice versa...

i already tried to, but when i transition from one texture to another the "render outlines" from the advanced surface tab is not working...

at least not when i try ...
    uhoh
    hold on
    Confirmed -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast