Thread: Baking an object help

Baking an object help

How do I back an object? I have a background I need that is creating the realism around my object but I only want to bake just the object as to how it looks with the reflective panels. I don't want the panels just the object in the final render but need the effects from it. Basically how do I bake?
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

I'm confused as to how to do this in the surface baking camera. How do I bake the reflections from the huge plain around it is giving off?
    Graphic Designer & 3D Textures
    -Mac Pro 2.26GHz | 8-core | 3TB HD | 12GB RAM | Dell Ultrasharp 2707 | ATI Radeon HD 5770

Your object needs to have a uv map, then select the surface baking camera under cam properties, set which object to bake and it's uv map, then render. Is that what you mean?
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

I struggled with this as well when figuring out how to make game assets for Torque. This is how I ended up doing it:

1) Create the model and texture it as I normally would
    2) In modeler, select all poly's and create an Atlas type UV map (bottom right corner, hit the T, then use the drop down to select New, then select Atlas in the popup - can't remember what other setting worked well but I remember relative gap size having a significant effect on showing seams at the edge of the baked UV map)
    3) Save as another name
    4) Open the object in Layout and use the Surface Baking Camera to save the baked UV to a file.
    5) Reopen the file in Layout and under the surface editor, now assign the UV map you just baked to each of the different surfaces you created - ie: hit the T next to the color channel for each surface and a choose UV for projection, the UV map you created in step 2 for UVMap and the image you baked in step 4 for the Image dropdown.

I hope that helps.
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.