Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clients not paying.

Clients not paying.

Any tips out there for dealing with a client who doesn't seem to want to pay you and won't respond to calls or email.............

Well last time a client didn't pay me (and behaved just like ur case), I pretend to be friendly, visited him in the office and took his laptop computer with me secretly to justify the payment amount.

Hmm. For entertainment purposes only, I offer this suggestion: Send an email that reads, "I'm glad you liked the work. Once payment is complete, I'll send the non-watermarked version. Please (please!) don't publish the current version, with those offensive images encoded in, because some of the legal repercussions may affect my business, as well."

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Great ideas, I think it would cost me more to fly to where they are and back then the actual money they owe me.

I'm still hoping I'll get paid, it's just that it has been over two months now and I'm getting a little peaved.

Is it a big client or a little client? (Corporate or not...)
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy View Post
    Great ideas, I think it would cost me more to fly to where they are and back then the actual money they owe me.

I'm still hoping I'll get paid, it's just that it has been over two months now and I'm getting a little peaved.
    I don't remove the watermarks from remote customers until I receive the final payment....
    my personal company: http://www.elementvfx.com
    the people I've worked for: http://www.theembassyvfx.com

We had a client (TEXET) who said that he didn't like any of the concepts we did (for a calculator project).

But then went on to use a badly modified version of one of them (he had the Chinese moulders modify the design based on his comments).

We just cut our losses I think.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Its tricky to keep clients happy esp ones that dont fekin pay : made a short promotional film for a client ,when i was 23 ,nothing great nothing to shout about ,but it still done what the client asked for " which he didnt actually know to start with " anyways sent him several invoices ,contacted him several times , everytime i got " i never received anything ill speak to my secretary " . after about 3 month of fekin about , me and 3 close and large friends went to his door , i stood on his nice brand spanking new BMW with a large tube of paint thinners and gave him a choice , 2 days later the cash was in my account ,whalla , and you know something it was for only £600 ...

the next time someone tells you there nephew could do it for half the price
    tell them " fine thats great you get your nephew to do it , and see when you come back to me asking to fix it , ill charge you double "
    usually stops them in there tracks there and then , sometimes !

TIP :::::: never leave your tooth brush lying about when theres , contracter ,workers or anybody not related to you in your house " .

copy and pasted from other thread

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    me and 3 close and large friends went to his door , i stood on his nice brand spanking new BMW with a large tube of paint thinners and gave him a choice
    Ahhhhhh Glaswegian business skills, best in the world!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

In English law the right to reproduce /publish commissioned work is contingent upon payment. ie the client has no right to use the work unless it’s been paid for. The license to reproduce is not effective and he is in breach of Copyright.

You could justifiably seek an injunction to stop him from using the work.

I know this because it worked for me a few years ago when I was freelance.

Don’t know about American Copyright law but under British law, Copyright is automatically owned by the creator.(even if it is commissioned) ie you don’t have to declare it or state it although most Artist do.

I understand that under American Law you have to express Copyright Ownership as a statement.

……..Best to get Legal advice – good luck
    "one rig to rule them all"
    PC Spec: Intel i7 X980 3.33GHz | 24Gb | ATI FirePro V5800 | W7
    https://vimeo.com/kevbarnes/showreel
    https://littlstar.com/kevbarnes
    https://www.talenthouse.com/kevbarnes

I have sort of adopted the system used by home builders.
    1/3 up front. (For builders this covers materials purchases.)
    1/3 at the first draft stage, prior to revisions (In construction this would be when building commences to cover labor costs)
    1/3 upon completion.

I have been stung by not being paid. I have been the person who paid up front and had to wait a year. So, I figure this is the best recourse. I am a big fan of watermarks as well.

I used to rely on freelance work. Thank goodness I'm out from under that now. There's one particular client that comes back to me irregularly, and if they ever do again, my terms will be:

150% up front. My mouse doesn't move until the check clears. The overage is reimbursed along with final delivery no later than the deadline date specified in the original quote.

No, I don't really expect anyone to agree to that.

We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we cannot have both.
    ─Supreme Court Justice Louis D Brandeis

Well, sending someone to collections is expensive but if you have any paperwork saying they agreed to pay you, then it's a viable alternative, but you don't get all your money.

If they're using the material you made, then you can send them a cease and desist letter via certified mail (or even invoice them certified mail). This is the key, it is the legal indicator that they are willingly not paying you as opposed to he said/ she said stuff.

Depending on the amount of money, small claims court is the probably next step if you opt out of collections.
    Blog

Specs:
    Desktop: Q6600 Quad 2.4 ghz, 8GB, 8800 1Gb, Vista Ultimate x64
    Laptop: Core 2 Duo, 2GB, ATI craptastic video card, XP

and some funny looking Mac's that I don't know much about.

Normally I would do a 50% up front, but what do you do when the deadline is.. tomorrow. They wouldn't even be able to get a check to you quickly enough. That's the issue I had with this project anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjaggy View Post
    Any tips out there for dealing with a client who doesn't seem to want to pay you and won't respond to calls or email.............
    Hey Andy! I feel your pain. I lost almost $4,000 in AutoCAD design work to a company that wouldn't pay. You think I would have wised up when they kept telling me that the check was in the mail. They were in Texas. I'm in Ohio.

I didn't have a contract, but I did have invoices and e-mails stating my charges and their approval for these charges. In this case, I don't think a contract would have mattered anyway, since I cannot find them anywhere.

I've sent certified letters that were returned to me. Seems as though they've disappeared off the face of the planet.

The ironic thing is, a company that I used to work for locally, bought most, if not all, of the machinery that this company in Texas used for business. Arrrgh!!! Go figure.

BTW--Watermarking AutoCAD designs aren't going to do any good, when all the client is going to do is generate CNC code out of it.
    Last edited by THREEL; 05-07-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast