Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Release Candidate Announcement

Windows 7 Release Candidate Announcement

howdy people hope all is well ?

Did anybody else Beta Windows 7 ?

i got a nice email today saying that my free copy of windows 7 is avilable for download .

"Thank you very much for your help in testing the Windows 7 Beta. Your feedback is
    invaluable in helping make Windows 7 a high quality operating system. With your help, we
    have reached the next major milestone on the journey to Windows 7: the Release Candidate
    (RC).

So you don’t need rush to make sure you get your copy. When you’re ready to download the
    RC, it’ll be waiting for you. "

excellent beta testing paid off .

now the question do i install it

I've got email, too.

So do you install it?
    Senior CG Artist, Optix Digital Pictures
    Demo Reel
    Behance
    Web folio
    LinkedIn

Do you get a free copy of Windows 7 when the final is released?

Or does your hard work get paid back one day with a friendly message: "We're sorry, but this RC has expired and now you must Buy Windows 7. Your computer will not boot now or ever again until you pay us."

I think the least they could do is give the testers a free OEM license. It's not like they're not going to sell umpteen bazillion copies anyway.

I didn't even try it, wasn't even interested. I spent a few seconds regretting that right after the open beta ended and I couldn't get it anymore, but that feeling passed soon enough.

I have seen it and have messed around with it a little, as one of my friends took the plunge and installed it at his house. I had mixed feelings about it, but I'm sure he didn't have it set up right and I didn't want to change his whole setup on him.

It LOOKED nice though. But it seems the quick launch toolbar was gone. I sure hope that's not the case, because I use that feature all the time.

I used it before the beta release date got nuked , i found alot of pre purchased software didnt work for example my anti virus , LW was unstable aswell .
    by now i think the have xp emulator installed which can just about run anything on any bit rate .

But im Linux ,i may install it on my spare machine , just to give it a whirl and see if my recommendations to MS have changed anything .

SUDO> linux rulez

Quote Originally Posted by IMI View Post
    It LOOKED nice though. But it seems the quick launch toolbar was gone. I sure hope that's not the case, because I use that feature all the time.
    The quick launch bar was replaced with the ability to pin programs on the taskbar.

I installed it here, and until now everything is working very nice and fast. Win 7 x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest View Post
    The quick launch bar was replaced with the ability to pin programs on the taskbar.
    Ah, I see, thanks.
    I didn't really mess with anything in my brief time looking it over, as I said, but that sounds pretty cool, really. I've actually kind of wished for such a feature many times, or more specifically, the ability to create multiple Quick Launch toolbars.

Does it limit the number you can have though without interfering with the open programs that are on the task bar? I have somewhere around 30 programs and utilities in my Quick Launch and they're nice and organized that way, and with the taskbar pulled down to about 4 times its normal width I have plenty of room for all the running programs. I say "pulled down", because I keep it at the top of my secondary monitor screen.
    When you run out of room on the task bar it starts grouping things together with little dropdown arrows for selection and I really don't like that.

So I hope Windows 7 isn't being designed for people who only want 3 or 4 programs pinned to the taskbar and don't do extreme multi-tasking.

So I hope Windows 7 isn't being designed for people who only want 3 or 4 programs pinned to the taskbar and don't do extreme multi-tasking.
    I currently have 10 programs pinned to the taskbar. Did a test though and pinned software as long as space ended from the taskbar. Small up/down arrow appeared in the right edge which allows you to change the line which contains taskbar pinned applications and of course if you increase the size of the taskbar then you'll see multiple lines of applications. So it should work just the way you want it to work.

On a side note though: I find it MUCH more efficient just to keep those software pinned you need all the time (and I mean all the time) and open those you don't need daily by opening start menu and typing the name of the software you want to open (or actually part of the name) and open it there. Keeps taskbar clean and other software is still very fast and easy to open. In my opinion 30+ quicklaunch (or win 7 taskbar) applications sounds like absolute horror But that's just my opinion.
    Niklas Collin - Finnish Lightwaver

Thanks for the info, Ember. I suppose I'll have to check it out the next time I get a chance.
    No, my Quick Launch isn't as bad as it sounds, as the shortcut icons that don't fit are accessible through a drop-down to the right of all of them. I had to use Window Blinds to get that in XP, and now I can't remember if it's an option in XP or not, but it's built in in Vista and it works nicely.
    I do have some pinned to the start menu though, as well as a few custom toolbars. I'm extremely anal when it comes to being organized and have to have everything categorized and shortcutted - programs, folders, help files, pretty much everything.

Thanks for the info, Ember. I suppose I'll have to check it out the next time I get a chance.
    No, my Quick Launch isn't as bad as it sounds, as the shortcut icons that don't fit are accessible through a drop-down to the right of all of them. I had to use Window Blinds to get that in XP, and now I can't remember if it's an option in XP or not, but it's built in in Vista and it works nicely.
    I'm guessing you'll love Win 7's new jumplist feature and of course program grouping. Win 7 automatically groups same instances of a program being ran. I disliked it for a minute since it was different, then started to like it. And I do recognize the power of jumplists as long as programs start to support it.

I do have some pinned to the start menu though, as well as a few custom toolbars. I'm extremely anal when it comes to being organized and have to have everything categorized and shortcutted - programs, folders, help files, pretty much everything.
    Hehe, I know what you mean I did exactly the same in XP, kept everything in order the way I wanted and spent quite a bit of time doing so. I've kinda forgot all about that in Win 7 due to it's new taskbar and windows search (familiar from vista, just seems to work better).
    Niklas Collin - Finnish Lightwaver

posted by OnlineRender.....
    "by now i think the have xp emulator installed which can just about run anything on any bit rate."
    I have avoided Vista because I couldn't run my older equipment on it. I've heard some good things about Windows 7. With the XP emulator installed, will Windows 7 allow me to run my old equipment that I've been using with XP?

My luck the email would be coming from a virus perp.

"thank you for installing virus 7 - Have a nice day"
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

Quote Originally Posted by OnlineRender View Post
    howdy people hope all is well ?

Did anybody else Beta Windows 7 ?

i got a nice email today saying that my free copy of windows 7 is avilable for download .

"Thank you very much for your help in testing the Windows 7 Beta. Your feedback is
    invaluable in helping make Windows 7 a high quality operating system. With your help, we
    have reached the next major milestone on the journey to Windows 7: the Release Candidate
    (RC).

So you don’t need rush to make sure you get your copy. When you’re ready to download the
    RC, it’ll be waiting for you. "

excellent beta testing paid off .

now the question do i install it
    I was able to get a key several weeks ago, but when I tried to download the beta it stated that Beta testing was over. I got the same e-mail about the RC...still can't download anything cause I still hit a deadend. Microsoft really has their stuff together, don't they? They still have up this apparatus to join the beta testing, only to tell you "Sorry, dead-end road" once you get to the end of the process.

The only reason I wanted to test the darned thing in the first place is because Vista has turned out to be a piece of trash for an OS...seems to me Win 7 is just Vista...FIXED!
    How appropriate are those MAC commercials taking shots at PC (Cough...Cough....Windows)
    Last edited by AbnRanger; 05-05-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Sometimes, I'm wondering why people so hate Windows Vista/Windows7. I mean, are the drivers better in Linux (don't think so)? Is it the lack of security in Windows (Windows Vista is as secured as Linux nowadays, only much more attacked)? Is it the developing environments? Is it the FileSystem? Is it the Windows Explorer? Is it Office?

I know 1 thing. I have no problems with Windows since Windows 2000. I'm using Directory Opus from the moment it came out for Windows and used it ever since. Nothing on Linux can be compared to that as far as I know of.

The real problem is, that people expect a lot from Windows. Everything has to go automatically. From Linux they know and expect problems (drivers, ...) and much more willing to search for solutions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast